Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 62  Next
Brexit Britain 
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
MrStevenRogers wrote:
also i believe President Trump may very well be pulling out of NATO, if so, then the UK can. we can do a North Atlantic Defence Agreement between the US and the UK. leaving the EU to get on with it, things, must assuredly, can only get better ...

The legal commitment to be part of NATO is 2% GDP on defence spending. Most countries in NATO spend around that, except America which spends way more. Trump has been very vocal in his view that they should spend more than 2%, just as America does. There's no way the UK can afford a huge increase in defence spending at the moment. The chances of the US pulling out of NATO, but then having a deal with just the UK without that spending rise, are zero (at least while Trump is in power).
NATO is a good thing, even if you think the EU isn't. Especially when Putin seems to be rearming his mafia state.

Personally I'd like to see defence spending at 2.5 - 3 % GDP, but I can't realistically see how we can afford that with the NHS and School budgets being stretched as they are. They (schools in particular) need the money first.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Germany has, for the second year, reduced its deficit (I think something like 250 billion paid back on loans and no new loans) and they are planning to not make any new loans next year.

What gets me about the UK's attitude to the EU and subsidies is that you always hear from, for example, farmers that subsidies are poor or non-existent, the same for R&D etc.

I worked in software devlopment in the food industry in Germany, specifically meat processing. The company got funded for an RFID project in the early 2000s. This was a major research and development project, which netted them good money. Not bad for a small (under 20 employees) business. As I was there, we had EU funding for 2 projects. The money is there for the taking.

In the UK, on the other hand, I worked with farmers and other companies, who if they had not been in the UK, would have been able to get EU funding. In Ireland you can find bits of road with signs that they were funded through the EU.

Flood and other natural disaster recovery? Money from the EU for rebuilding, unless you are in the UK.

Why? Because the local government has to approve the use of that money. And the UK government was greedy. Instead of letting their citizens and companies benefit from subsidies or compensation, the government told us that there was no EU money available, only to cash a big rebate for non-use of available funding, which goes directly into the Exchequer. This is not as much money as the whole UK could have got through funding and compensation, but it makes the central government books look a little better at the end of the year.

Is this EU propaganda? No. This was common knowledge when I left the UK at the turn of the century. I learnt it from the BBC and national UK papers in the late 90s.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:22 am
Profile ICQ
Spends far too much time on here

big_D wrote:
Germany has, for the second year, reduced its deficit (I think something like 250 billion paid back on loans and no new loans) and they are planning to not make any new loans next year.

What gets me about the UK's attitude to the EU and subsidies is that you always hear from, for example, farmers that subsidies are poor or non-existent, the same for R&D etc.

I worked in software devlopment in the food industry in Germany, specifically meat processing. The company got funded for an RFID project in the early 2000s. This was a major research and development project, which netted them good money. Not bad for a small (under 20 employees) business. As I was there, we had EU funding for 2 projects. The money is there for the taking.

In the UK, on the other hand, I worked with farmers and other companies, who if they had not been in the UK, would have been able to get EU funding. In Ireland you can find bits of road with signs that they were funded through the EU.

Flood and other natural disaster recovery? Money from the EU for rebuilding, unless you are in the UK.

Why? Because the local government has to approve the use of that money. And the UK government was greedy. Instead of letting their citizens and companies benefit from subsidies or compensation, the government told us that there was no EU money available, only to cash a big rebate for non-use of available funding, which goes directly into the Exchequer. This is not as much money as the whole UK could have got through funding and compensation, but it makes the central government books look a little better at the end of the year.

Is this EU propaganda? No. This was common knowledge when I left the UK at the turn of the century. I learnt it from the BBC and national UK papers in the late 90s.

if we dont pay the EU any money for membership of their protectionist cartel then we wont have any need of a refund of any kind ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:34 am

l3v1ck wrote:
MrStevenRogers wrote:
also i believe President Trump may very well be pulling out of NATO, if so, then the UK can. we can do a North Atlantic Defence Agreement between the US and the UK. leaving the EU to get on with it, things, must assuredly, can only get better ...

The legal commitment to be part of NATO is 2% GDP on defence spending. Most countries in NATO spend around that, except America which spends way more. Trump has been very vocal in his view that they should spend more than 2%, just as America does. There's no way the UK can afford a huge increase in defence spending at the moment. The chances of the US pulling out of NATO, but then having a deal with just the UK without that spending rise, are zero (at least while Trump is in power).
NATO is a good thing, even if you think the EU isn't. Especially when Putin seems to be rearming his mafia state.

Personally I'd like to see defence spending at 2.5 - 3 % GDP, but I can't realistically see how we can afford that with the NHS and School budgets being stretched as they are. They (schools in particular) need the money first.

reminds me of the 30's and Edger j Hoover, reds under the beds. he finished many of a good person.

i believe President Trump is looking for a way out of NATO, if so, the UK will hopefully follow. i do hope that leaves the EU swinging in the wind. pay back is a dish best served cold ...

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:39 am

davrosG5 wrote:
MrStevenRogers wrote:
i dont really care how the EfilthyU ceases to exist. be it the UK leaving, internal collapse or an outside influence invading. as long as the EU dictatorship is destroyed.

Can you show us on the doll where the EU hurt you?

What you and many brexiteers seem to neglect is that a lot of the things that you want to blame on the EU are in fact down to the UK governments implementation and choices made here rather than in Brussels or wherever. If/when we leave, that particular nest of vipers is going to be much harder to ignore. And if you don't like an non-UK power dictating our rules and laws just wait until you get a load of what a trade deal with the USA will cost us with the current president. The UK government was wildly in favour of signing up to TTIP and recently signed up to CETA, neither of which provide particularly good protections for the rights of citizens compared to the powers they grant to businesses.
The Tories and yes, New Labour before them, were all about the business and screw the people (at least as much as they think they won't notice at the time). That's not likely to change any time soon and Brexit hands these clowns more power to screw us all over in their own self interest and that of their good friends in big business.

i dont believe they make an EU doll only EU dummies ...

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:42 am
What's a life?

MrStevenRogers wrote:
if we dont pay the EU any money for membership of their protectionist cartel then we wont have any need of a refund of any kind ...

On the other hand, the government has to find its own money for such subsidies, disaster funds etc. It always seemed strange that flood victims, for example, couldn't take advantage of EU compensation funds, but had to use their private insurance (if they had any), just so the Government could get back part of its membership fee - usually less than the flood victims would have been allowed to claim...

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:01 am
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
MrStevenRogers wrote:

On the other hand, the government has to find its own money for such subsidies, disaster funds etc. It always seemed strange that flood victims, for example, couldn't take advantage of EU compensation funds, but had to use their private insurance (if they had any), just so the Government could get back part of its membership fee - usually less than the flood victims would have been allowed to claim...

we are giving away (sadly) 13+ billion in so called overseas aid plus HS2 plus trident, money is not the problem where it is spent is.
as stated if we dont pay the EU anything we have no need to get any refunds ...

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:18 am
Site Admin

MrStevenRogers wrote:

we are giving away (sadly) 13+ billion in so called overseas aid plus HS2 plus trident, money is not the problem where it is spent is.

And who chooses how to spend the money? The UK government. They're the source of the problem, and the idiots have given them more power.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

MrStevenRogers wrote:
big_D wrote:
MrStevenRogers wrote:

as stated if we dont pay the EU anything we have no need to get any refunds ...

None of which have anything to do with the EU.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:08 am

Quote:

no it doesn't, but when we stop paying any money to the EU the UK will improve, things can only get better ...

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:16 am

saspro wrote:
MrStevenRogers wrote:

And who chooses how to spend the money? The UK government. They're the source of the problem, and the idiots have given them more power.

i will give as much power to the UK Govt. as necessary, i can remove that power at a GE. no such thing can happen with the EU.
but first we have to leave the EU, then and only then can we put our own house in order ...

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:34 am
Occasionally has a life

MrStevenRogers wrote:
Quote:

no it doesn't, but when we stop paying any money to the EU the UK will improve, things can only get better ...

Hmm. The latest ONS stats say we pay 8.1 Billion Net to the UK:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governme ... 2017-10-31

Thats about 0.5% of GDP (ish)

Are you suggesting that leaving the EU will not cost AT LEAST 0.5% of GDP? From cutting ties with our largest trading partner & the joint largest economy in the world.?

If not then the figures will clearly leave the UK worse off - so rather than saving money and spending it on defence / education / NHS we will have to cut these departments budgets not increase them.

We are looking at a 40B divorce bill for starters .. that's 5 years of payments.

Really this idea that we will be better off is simply pie in the sky.

The EU is far from perfect but it undoubtedly makes us richer.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:50 am
What's a life?

Seeing as thouigh the Irish Border and the whole customs thing is in the news, here’s a bit about how it works.

Quote:
Reality Check: The Brexit challenge for Irish trade
The future of the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland is proving to be a massive challenge in the Brexit negotiations, and talk of "no deal" is making a lot of people nervous.

But it's not just in the UK that this matters, because the Republic of Ireland depends on trade with the United Kingdom for its economic well-being.

There's been a lot of talk about north-south trade across the border with Northern Ireland, and the need to avoid any border checks.

But in purely economic terms, east-west trade across the Irish Sea between Ireland and Great Britain is far more important.

The vast majority of freight traffic leaving the Republic of Ireland is exported from Dublin, with the busiest routes to ports such as Liverpool and Holyhead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics- ... ting-story

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:27 pm
What's a life?

Ok, so today it’s Irish Border decsion day. It seems that there is a little upset about this, according to Robert Peston.

Quote:
Widespread ministerial unhappiness that they have to read 120 odd pages of dense and complex stuff in just a few hours before making historic decisions on UK’s Brexit future. They are not sure if tardiness of distribution is Downing Street cock up or conspiracy

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1014946229481025536

Who here has had to read dense, complex material for their jobs, and come up with a response/thoughts/action plan in a short amount of time? I know I have, you read it, you understand it, you formulate a response. There have been times when, yes, a few hours is what you have because that’s what the client has given you.

As far as I am concerned, this is the fcuking job that MPs are voted for and paid to do. Dealing with complicated stuff in short periods of time. I guess this is getting in the way of drinks at the bar and their second jobs. And it’s a Friday, which is pretty much the weekend.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:02 am
What's a life?

Quote:
Brexit Secretary David Davis resigns
Brexit Secretary David Davis, who has been leading UK negotiations to leave the EU, has resigned from government.

He told the BBC that he was no longer the best person to deliver the PM's Brexit plan - agreed by the cabinet on Friday - as he did not "believe" in it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44761056

I doubt very much that he felt that he believed in at any time during his tenure. He’s taken two others with him too.

If this were another country, I have no doubt that everyone will be having a bit of a laugh about what an utter mess it was, and aren’t we glad we aren’t them?

This country is an absolute mess, and it’s being made worse by the day.

And I thought the Boris Johnson comment about polishing a turd would be the highlight of the Chequers meeting, and that maybe that might cause a few interesting ripples. Spool forward to midnight last night, and suddenly it looks like a whole load of problems have come home to roost.

People on Twitter expect another General Election soon. May surely can’t go on for much longer like this.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 62  Next