Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 62  Next
Brexit Britain 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

So "strong and stable" May thinks hey let's prolong things for a couple of years.

Driving Brexit from the front an all that jazz. :lol:

paulzolo wrote:
The problem with that is if we just go off in a strop, reneging on any agreements we made while members of the EU, how will that look to other potential trading partners? It will look as if the UK doesn’t respect agreements when it doesn’t suit them. We could lose valuable deals because of that.

Logical arguments don't work against irrational folk. ;)

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:38 pm
Spends far too much time on here

paulzolo wrote:
MrStevenRogers wrote:
Quote:
Ex-Bank of England Governor urges UK to WALK AWAY from Brexit talks & trade on WTO rules

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/856878 ... -bloomberg

been stating that all along. give 90 days notice then slap WTO on the table and walk away.
i have a feeling thats whats gonna happen at the end of the day and be the final result.

we cant hurry out of the EU fast enough ...

The problem with that is if we just go off in a strop, reneging on any agreements we made while members of the EU, how will that look to other potential trading partners? It will look as if the UK doesn’t respect agreements when it doesn’t suit them. We could lose valuable deals because of that.

no strop. the EU will either grind it to a halt by not agreeing to anything (which is already happening. its their way no other way is allowed) or demand so much (money, money, money) we will grind it to a halt and walk.

looking forward to it and WTO. its the only way to go ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:34 pm

Spreadie wrote:
So "strong and stable" May thinks hey let's prolong things for a couple of years.

Driving Brexit from the front an all that jazz. :lol:

paulzolo wrote:

Logical arguments don't work against irrational folk. ;)

whatever has been placed on the table by the UK has already been dismissed by the EU. an olive branch has been offered by May but that will be brushed away by the EU and then we can walk and trade only under WTO.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:37 pm

big_D wrote:
And many UK companies that rely on exports and services to the EU will find themselves left high and dry.

i do hope many, many German companies as well. WTO all the way. please have a nice day ...

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:39 pm
What's a life?

You seem to forget, that the UK acts as a clearing house for a lot of European finance matters at the moment.

If no agreement can be agreed upon, especially if the UK goes ahead with RIPA, then those companies won't be able to continue business with Europe, which is several hundred billon pounds of business. If that is the case, the Paris, Frankfurt and other financial centers in Europe will have to take up the slack... And I dare say, they will be happy to do so.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:24 am
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
You seem to forget, that the UK acts as a clearing house for a lot of European finance matters at the moment.

If no agreement can be agreed upon, especially if the UK goes ahead with RIPA, then those companies won't be able to continue business with Europe, which is several hundred billon pounds of business. If that is the case, the Paris, Frankfurt and other financial centers in Europe will have to take up the slack... And I dare say, they will be happy to do so.

however did the city of London survive before the advent of the blessed EU.
i wouldn't worry to much about that Big_D i think the EU are going to find out the hard way ...

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:49 pm

MrStevenRogers wrote:
big_D wrote:
And many UK companies that rely on exports and services to the EU will find themselves left high and dry.

i do hope many, many German companies as well. WTO all the way. please have a nice day ...

Every time you make your WTO comments, you make yourself look even more stupid. WTO rules for trade are absolutely awful and would [LIFTED] over the UK horrendously.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:49 pm
Profile WWW

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:08 pm

jonlumb wrote:
MrStevenRogers wrote:
big_D wrote:

Every time you make your WTO comments, you make yourself look even more stupid. WTO rules for trade are absolutely awful and would [LIFTED] over the UK horrendously.

i believe you need to make sure you understand WTO. as most of the worlds basic trade agreements are based on WTO. its a way to start trade under a set of rules that allow modification to those trading. please get the EU way of doing things out of the way. we are no longer members of the EU ...

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Spreadie wrote:

since when has religion been or become democratic. not even in the so called modern world is it such.

if the majority vote is over turned in any democracy then civil war could very well follow. are you ready for civil war.

just take note i am ...

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:59 pm

Yeah... I didn't think you'd get it. No surprises there.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:26 pm

Oh do grow up (not you spreadie).
The point is that the government has treated the result of the referendum as if it was a landslide in favour of Brexit when it was nothing of the sort. 52/48 is not a landslide.
If it had gone the other way would you have meekly accepted the result and given up? I somehow doubt it. Yet this is what many on the Brexit side seem to have expected the remain side. If it had been 75/25 or higher then they may have had some reasonable grounds to say the answer was settled but it didn't go that way did it? The result was about as close to a stalemate as it was possible to get in an election but the remain side are somehow expected to sit back and let the hardest of possible brexits roll over the country? I don't bloody think so.

You should also bear in mind which party is driving this. The Tories paymasters are predominantly businesses and most don't want to see what you so gleefully want to, especially those in the City. The loss of passporting rights will do extensive damage to London as a financial centre. Yes, London was a financial centre before the EU but joining made it the clearing house for far vaster sums than it could reasonably have expected to be otherwise. If we as a country don't want to impoverish ourselves massively then whatever deal is hammered out is likely to make some attempt to keep those passporting rights but doing so has costs and obligations that the hard Brexit lot won't like but I suspect the majority of the Tories backers will be willing to accept.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:33 pm

davrosG5 wrote:
Oh do grow up (not you spreadie).
The point is that the government has treated the result of the referendum as if it was a landslide in favour of Brexit when it was nothing of the sort. 52/48 is not a landslide.
If it had gone the other way would you have meekly accepted the result and given up? I somehow doubt it. Yet this is what many on the Brexit side seem to have expected the remain side. If it had been 75/25 or higher then they may have had some reasonable grounds to say the answer was settled but it didn't go that way did it? The result was about as close to a stalemate as it was possible to get in an election but the remain side are somehow expected to sit back and let the hardest of possible brexits roll over the country? I don't bloody think so.

You should also bear in mind which party is driving this. The Tories paymasters are predominantly businesses and most don't want to see what you so gleefully want to, especially those in the City. The loss of passporting rights will do extensive damage to London as a financial centre. Yes, London was a financial centre before the EU but joining made it the clearing house for far vaster sums than it could reasonably have expected to be otherwise. If we as a country don't want to impoverish ourselves massively then whatever deal is hammered out is likely to make some attempt to keep those passporting rights but doing so has costs and obligations that the hard Brexit lot won't like but I suspect the majority of the Tories backers will be willing to accept.

in any democracy, regardless of party, the majority vote wins the day. or do you advocate another way ...

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:22 pm

You also seem to be missing an incredibly important point. The referendum was ADVISORY, it was in no way, shape or form binding.

All that result should have done was reveal that 52% of the British public are thick as mince.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:39 pm
Profile WWW

MrStevenRogers wrote:
in any democracy, regardless of party, the majority vote wins the day. or do you advocate another way ...

im well aware of how majorities work. What I'm saying is that to push through a big change off the back of a referendum should require a clear indication that the vast majority (not a simple majority) is in favour. If you want a clear result you need something better than around 50/50, all that tells you is that the country is divided on the issue. For it to be a clear expression of the will of the people I'd argue you need at least two thirds in favour.

Would you accept a rerun of the referendum, say once the actual detail of the deal is known?
If it went the other way by 0.1% of the vote you'd be totally fine with that?

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 62  Next