Reply to topic  [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 147  Next
Forum Film Reviews & Recommendations 
Has a life

Jason Bourne

A few enjoyable action scenes, but this is a far cry from the quality of the original trilogy. It kinda felt like a 'best of' movie. They should have left it at Ultimatum.

2/5

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:48 am
Legend

Alex00 wrote:
Jason Bourne

A few enjoyable action scenes, but this is a far cry from the quality of the original trilogy. It kinda felt like a 'best of' movie. They should have left it at Ultimatum.

2/5

Yeah, really wasn't bothered after the last two efforts. They need to give him a plot ffs.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:09 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Just watched Dogma again for the first time in ages.
Classic film.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Beauty and the Beast

This live-action* version of the Disney classic sticks fairly closely to the earlier animated movie but adds in thousands of extra songs which add nothing to the story and are nowhere near as good as the original ones. The emotional content is nowhere near as high either.

6 out of 10

*I say 'live action' but much of the scenery, sets and many of the characters are CGI anyway.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Rogue One

Great fun, really enjoyed it.

8 out of 10

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:34 am

Life of Pi

As I'm sure most people know, this is the story of an Indian boy cast adrift in a lifeboat only to find that his travelling companion is a Bengal Tiger.Beautifully shot and well acted. The use of 3D is amongst the best I've seen.

9 out of 10

Tue May 09, 2017 10:06 am

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

I enjoyed this very much. Perhaps not quite as good as the first instalment but still great fun although I freely admit I have no baggage from having read the comics so I have no idea where it works well if you have.

8/10 (if you like that sort of thing)

Paul1965 wrote:
Life of Pi

As I'm sure most people know, this is the story of an Indian boy cast adrift in a lifeboat only to find that his travelling companion is a Bengal Tiger.Beautifully shot and well acted. The use of 3D is amongst the best I've seen.

9 out of 10

So there's an actual story to sustain the visual effects, well I'll be dammed! I have heard that it's one of the few films that actually takes full advantage of HDR 4K TV and doesn't look weird.

Tue May 09, 2017 11:08 am
Official forum cat lady

davrosG5 wrote:
So there's an actual story to sustain the visual effects, well I'll be dammed! I have heard that it's one of the few films that actually takes full advantage of HDR 4K TV and doesn't look weird.

Funnily enough it was a book first. The book is excellent and I suggest you read it.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed May 10, 2017 8:18 am

oceanicitl wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:

Funnily enough it was a book first. The book is excellent and I suggest you read it.

I'm working through the Expanse novels at the moment so I have plenty to read thanks :D

Wed May 10, 2017 11:46 am
Official forum cat lady

davrosG5 wrote:
oceanicitl wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:

I'm working through the Expanse novels at the moment so I have plenty to read thanks :D

I'm sure you do. I was just pointing out that it was an 'actual story'

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed May 10, 2017 12:51 pm
What's a life?

I have learnt over the years, never to watch a film that is an "actual story" if you have already read/know the actual story...

I just spend the whole time grumbling under my breath, "it wasn't like that!" "That's wrong," "he never said that!"

Big "bloopers" in films include, in "Clear and Present Danger", the film opens with a salty old sea-dog of a captain, white hair and beard, a little plump, waiting for his retirement, navigating a Coast Guard cutter off the East Coast of the States... The salty old sea captain is played by Ms. Colleen Flynn, she was around 34 at the time of filming! So, wrong sex, wrong age, but apart from that...

Harry Potter films, pretty much everything, if you have read the books! The films are okay, by themselves, but if you have read the books, forget it! I couldn't even get through the first half hour of Goblet of Fire, I was so frustrated.

The Martian, a reasonable film, but misses out all the good bits and much of the humour, and the Indian head of ops turned out to be an African American in the film, why!?!?!

The only one that really worked was The Lord of the Rings. They missed out whole chunks of the books and changed many of the characters around, but it was still an incredible story and it worked.

The Hobbit on the other hand... Enough material for maybe one film, so that was two films worth of made-up stuff and characters taken from LOTR who weren't even in the darned Hobbit! They were just put in, because the audience knows them from LOTR. GAH!

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed May 10, 2017 1:37 pm
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
The Martian, a reasonable film, but misses out all the good bits and much of the humour, and the Indian head of ops turned out to be an African American in the film, why!?!?!

Probably because they thought there would be more African Americans going to see the film than Indian Americans. Pretty much the same reason they try to wedge in a Chinese character if possible so the film will have greater appeal in the Chinese market. I got the distinct impression that Hollywood's penetration into the actual Indian market was relatively low due to competition from Bollywood films so it's possible they figured it wasn't worth trying too hard to appeal to that demographic.

Wed May 10, 2017 4:15 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Based purely on how good The Martian was when I watched it, I've just preordered the next book by Andy Weir, Artemis.

Wed May 10, 2017 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Official forum cat lady

big_D wrote:
I have learnt over the years, never to watch a film that is an "actual story" if you have already read/know the actual story...

I just spend the whole time grumbling under my breath, "it wasn't like that!" "That's wrong," "he never said that!"

Big "bloopers" in films include, in "Clear and Present Danger", the film opens with a salty old sea-dog of a captain, white hair and beard, a little plump, waiting for his retirement, navigating a Coast Guard cutter off the East Coast of the States... The salty old sea captain is played by Ms. Colleen Flynn, she was around 34 at the time of filming! So, wrong sex, wrong age, but apart from that...

Harry Potter films, pretty much everything, if you have read the books! The films are okay, by themselves, but if you have read the books, forget it! I couldn't even get through the first half hour of Goblet of Fire, I was so frustrated.

The only one that really worked was The Lord of the Rings. They missed out whole chunks of the books and changed many of the characters around, but it was still an incredible story and it worked.

The Hobbit on the other hand... Enough material for maybe one film, so that was two films worth of made-up stuff and characters taken from LOTR who weren't even in the darned Hobbit! They were just put in, because the audience knows them from LOTR. GAH!

I disagree. There's been a lot of films I've seen after reading the book. According to my kindle it takes approximately 6/7 hours to read a book so why would you expect the film to be the 'same'? There simply isn't enough time. If you accept that and know that the film is an 'interpretation' of the book then you'll probably enjoy them more.

I definitely wouldn't watch a film instead of the book and there are some books where I don't particularly want to see the film but that's usually down to casting or if it was a particularly harrowing story.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu May 11, 2017 8:07 am
Legend

Guardians 2

It's not bad if that's your sort of thing (it's a disjointed mess to everyone else I suspect). It's not truly great because it very much relies on what worked from the first film without going much further. Even now they still don't truly feel like a team to me, and they keep discussing it! It's still funny though.

I think it will actually get better the more you watch it, but there's a lot of CGI I'd imagine you'll need a big TV for because it's pretty intense one way or another.

It's a sort of intergalactic road movie I spose.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Fri May 12, 2017 6:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 147  Next