Reply to topic  [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 147  Next
Forum Film Reviews & Recommendations 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

davrosG5 wrote:
So there's an actual story to sustain the visual effects, well I'll be dammed! I have heard that it's one of the few films that actually takes full advantage of HDR 4K TV and doesn't look weird.

It looks amazing on a 4K TV and in 3D too. It's one of the most technically beautiful films I've seen.

Fri May 12, 2017 10:20 am
Legend

Alien Covenant is so generic it could almost be on the SyFy channel. Crap CGI, LOL dialogue (one line in particular is already notorious I've discovered), and it's just a bridge film with next to no purpose whatsoever. Even it's 2 hr running time makes you wonder what happened behind the scenes.

Pound for pound it's probably the worst Alien movie.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Fri May 19, 2017 6:53 am

Went to see Wonder Woman recently, but have only just managed to find this thread.

At work, so can't post a full review, but I'm posting this as a placeholder, and will try to update the post tonight, with my thoughts.

The headline is that I liked it.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:02 am
Profile WWW
Legend

John_Vella wrote:
Went to see Wonder Woman recently, but have only just managed to find this thread.

At work, so can't post a full review, but I'm posting this as a placeholder, and will try to update the post tonight, with my thoughts.

The headline is that I liked it.

It's way better than the other three attempts at kick-starting DC movies. Thought it got weaker in the second half but it's a good origin film, no question. The sequel, assuming it doesn't have Zack Snyder's involvement, should be even better.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:09 am

I was watching a bit of I Spit On Your Grave 3 last night, on the Horror Channel, I think. This cheery movie featured a scene where a very unpleasant man forces a woman to give him oral sex in an alley. While he is understandably distracted, she produces a knife and sticks it straight through his appendage. She then yanks the knife forward making his tool look like a bloody banana split.

I remember when The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw and Clockwork Orange were banned or unavailable and the press were in uproar about The Evil Dead. I'm not quite sure what it says about society that stuff like this is freely available on TV.

I got about halfway through the film before becoming bored, so based on what I saw:

2 out of 10.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:50 pm

Paul1965 wrote:
I was watching a bit of I Spit On Your Grave 3 last night, on the Horror Channel, I think. This cheery movie featured a scene where a very unpleasant man forces a woman to give him oral sex in an alley. While he is understandably distracted, she produces a knife and sticks it straight through his appendage. She then yanks the knife forward making his tool look like a bloody banana split.

Par for the course - iirc the woman bit it off on the first film

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:00 am

Paul1965 wrote:
I was watching a bit of I Spit On Your Grave 3 last night,
Three?!?
I raised eyebrows when I heard the original was being remade, but I didn't know it had spawned two sequels as well.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:48 am
Profile WWW
Legend

Baby Driver has to be one of the most overrated films going. It starts off incredibly well and just gets incrementally boring.

It's all very well made, it's just that you couldn't give a stuff about the players. They're well written, but they're all just stock characters!

Even worse, after so much fannying about, time and logic go out the window by the end. All just to tie it off neatly.

Technically great, but barely interesting.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:30 am
Legend

Spider-Man: Homecoming - Another incredibly overrated film IMO.

It's basically a kids film, but they have to keep the mainstream Marvelites happy, so it's master of neither...

Whoever thought Spidey needed a tubby sidekick... Apart from being a dick cinematic move, he's famous for talking to himself!

And yet again, Sony are world-building and frontloading it with a boatload of nationality/racial swaps. I've no problem with that, but it's laid on with a trowel here. Nearly all the kids in this film are non-white, and it's just another 'lets go for ALL the demographics in the upcoming boardroom meeting!'.

There's not enough time spent with any of the supporting cast to justify their appearance, and Keaton is really the only thing keeping it together. And his motivations are there, but the film plods along so badly it doesn't seem credible.

It's not a horrendous movie, but even the set-pieces are pretty bland!

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:20 pm
What's a life?

So, you are saying that Batman saves Spiderman Homecoming?

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:22 am
Profile ICQ

Or Iron Man. *shrug*

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:49 am
Profile WWW
Legend

big_D wrote:
So, you are saying that Batman saves Spiderman Homecoming?

If only...

timark_uk wrote:
Or Iron Man. *shrug*

Mark

Even he's phoning it in.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:27 am
Legend

Dunkirk - Cracking opening, then it gets a LOT of introductions out of the way, before finally settling down into one of the best produced 'action' films in decades. It did lose a lot of people in the screening during the build up, so they didn't seem to care towards the end.

My only other criticism is there's the occasional jarring flashback. Might make more sense with a second viewing, but I'm not sure they were really relevant :? , especially in such a short film that feels much longer because of perilous scenes.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:38 pm

pcernie wrote:
Dunkirk - Cracking opening, then it gets a LOT of introductions out of the way, before finally settling down into one of the best produced 'action' films in decades. It did lose a lot of people in the screening during the build up, so they didn't seem to care towards the end.

My only other criticism is there's the occasional jarring flashback. Might make more sense with a second viewing, but I'm not sure they were really relevant :? , especially in such a short film that feels much longer because of perilous scenes.

I've not seen it, but my 15 year old daughter has, and she also said that thee flashbacks were "confusing". Unless I get really bored and watch this on a 2 for 1 Wednesday, I think I'll wait for the DVD ;) version to come out

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

So we watched Dr Strange for the first time last night.

* * * S P O I L E R S * * *

Really enjoyed the first half - the surgical work, the search for Kamar-Taj, the Matrix-esque "open your mind" stuff. Loved it all. The second half was a bit more confusing, especially with the "self-aware" cloak that sometimes helps and sometimes doesn't, and felt like more of a comedy character than anything serious. There were quite a few scenes where I wasn't sure why things worked that way.

Things that made me confused:
- Dr Strange hasn't been shown to be worthy of master during the training (unless it was his huge consumption of knowledge). Was the Ancient One foreshadowing how Dr Strange would become a master, even though she couldn't see his future?
- when Dr Strange is in the library, there's a private collection that belongs to the Ancient One. But he is able to take one book out freely? There's a chain around it but it does bugger all. Surely it should have been in some protected safe or something?
- why couldn't Dr Strange heal his hands? If he is worthy of master, surely he could use magic to control them the way the spinal injury dude used it to walk?
- the sanctums are being wiped out. But there's only ever one person to protect each place. In the 500 years the Ancient One has existed, has she trained only a small number of people to protect the sanctums? What about the other people who were being trained? What happened to them?
- in fact, with the two Avengers movies, why hasn't there been evidence of the Ancient One's involvement? Or any mention of them helping with the previous threats?

I don't know if these are genuine plot holes or whether I just missed bits (went to get some cake from the fridge).

* * * E N D O F S P O I L E R S * * *

Overall, an enjoyable movie. Solid 4/5 IMO.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 147  Next