Reply to topic  [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147  Next
Forum Film Reviews & Recommendations 
Legend

pcernie wrote:
cloaked_wolf wrote:
I was planning on watching Venom at the cinema. The poor reviews put me off. Let me know how you find it.

Will do.

Venom

I've no idea what to make of this film, really :lol:

I watched it in 24FPS (not my choice ;) ) on a 50" HDR TV, so I really can't properly comment on the CGI or filming as it all looked hyper-real anyway. I've a feeling I didn't remotely get the same experience as most cinema goers as they often described it as dingy, and my version certainly wasn't! It looked nothing like the crap trailer either!

And it really was a crap trailer. It played up the horror element and that off-kilter scene with the motor bike. That was a total mistake when the best bits of the film are Eddie and Venom learning about each other. Apparently they figured that out for the home release trailer.

It really is disparate throughout though, and fcuk knows how much of that is deliberate. If you're not a wider Venom fan it will probably feel like it takes forever to get going. Which in turn will feel like you've had the rug pulled from under you, because it's pretty much been a weak horror film until then. It also doesn't help that I've been reading a load of Venom comics recently, so... :?

The action scenes are fantastic, and I don't know if it was my particular set-up here, but the CGI looked pretty good to me. I will say it'll lose a lot of impact, potentially look a mess, if you're not viewing it on as big a screen as possible with best settings. What I watched looked WAY better than the trailer!

Tom Hardy? As usual, you might have to lean in to understand what the fcuk he's on about, and he's absolutely (and rightly) playing it for laughs. His accent slips quite a bit too, which doesn't help. However he absolutely maintains the role throughout, and none of it would have worked without him.

The reason so many people have gone to see this movie is because it REALLY is an attempt at making a comic book for the screen. For all Marvel's world-building they've never really captured that element. This has a fair go but it's personal taste as to whether it works. For instance, just like a comic book, someone will die and it's pretty much glossed over. However this film doesn't really dwell on anything anyway!

I don't believe they had a clue what they were doing during production overall, but for me it worked. Can't state enough though, there's too many variables in how I viewed it to give a truly objective opinion!

All I can say is give it a go and know that despite how it begins, focus on Hardy and you'll likely be fine. It's basically an action comedy.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:12 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I quite enjoyed Venom. Saw it at the cinema and it is a bit dark in some scenes but works well on the big screen.
Definitely a good choice playing it for laughs. I wonder if they’ll ever release the extended version with a higher rating - Tom Hardy has stated there was a lot cut from the cinema release to hit the PG-13/15 rating. I assume it could have been a lot gorier than it was.

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:47 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Just watched Jason Bourne for the first time. It's very good.
The only one I haven't seen now is the original, The Bourne Identity.

Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:41 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

l3v1ck wrote:

The first one is the best one but if you've seen the other films it may feel a bit samey.

Mary Poppins Returns

Yes, I watched Mary Poppins over the festive period at the behest of swmbo who was keen to get out of the house for a bit. I loved the original as a kid and I can still remember some of the lyrics to those fantastic songs. I ventured into the cinema in trepidation, worried that something so dear would be trampled on.

I felt on edge the whole time because I was sure they'd c*ck it up. I don't know if part of me was secretly hoping they would. They didn't. Actually had me entertained and I hate myself for liking it.

Some general thoughts: Emily Blunt does well as MP but it feels like she's ratcheted it up to 11. Her prim-and-proper portrayal feels almost a bit too overdone. Van Dyke's chimney sweep has been replaced by someone who is as affable as the original. Mortimer seems a bit superfluous in the role and I don't feel she adds anything. Whishaw - not sure what to make of him. Something seems "off" about him and it distracted me through the whole film. Maybe I wasn't convinced by his portrayal. Swmbo thought he was fine. The kids were adorable. The songs were...forgettable. They were entertaining but I cannot recall a single lyric or tune from it. At all.

It's supposed to be a sequel. It feels like a remake. I enjoyed it overall but not more than the original. No idea if modern kids would enjoy it the way I loved the original version.

3.5/5

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:50 pm
What's a life?

l3v1ck wrote:

I still prefer the original mini-series with Richard Chamberlain and Jaclyn Smith. Much closer to the book - as in the story actually has something to do with the title.

That always annoyed me about the remake, it was an okay action flick, but using the Bourne name spoiled it for me, because the only things it had in common with the book was the amnesia and the bank account (microdot / laser projector) buried under the skin; apart from that the new films have nothing to do with the Jason Bourne series by Robert Ludlum.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:51 pm
Profile ICQ
Legend

Captain Marvel - Wait until it's on Netflix, and even then see if there's anything else you think would be better.

No spoilers but the central plot device is she has amnesia, meaning the film is only held up by a supporting cast and filling in negligible backstory and fan service like Solo did. Yeah, it's that pointless.

All that (quite good) CGI and action from the trailer? That's mostly from the third act because it's a slog of character introductions, muted colours to aid when the CGI goes literally stellar, and a lot of humour that doesn't quite land because the movie had something like four writers. And probably just as many producers.

Like Black Panther, far too much time is wasted on world-building, easter eggs and little threads that may or may not go anywhere in other, hopefully better films.

And if you're waiting for Endgame hints or whatever, this film doesn't touch on it. In fact, it's not even that long a film but by fcuk it feels it.

I suppose the best way of putting it is that it's Marvel so it's watchable, but it's as cynical as Iron Man 2 and Thor 2; a bridge film to set up future projects with a good movie way down the list of intentions.

Also cynical was releasing it on International Women's Day, though that will help certain lazy critics who haven't the balls (ironically) to call it out. Have to say though, I've seen a lot of reviews saying there's little reason for this movie to exist. And they're not wrong.

Just for comparison, DC beat them to the punch with Wonder Woman by every conceivable metric. And who thought that would ever happen?

Marvel need to step away from hiring the latest hot, lo-fi directors for their big budget adventures. Give a good script to someone experienced and drop the implied social commentary because it hasn't worked for either this or Black Panther IMO. They're not even the real stars of their own films FFS.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Captain Marvel. It's a super-hero film. Lots of CGI, and not that much of a story, but enjoyable, none the less.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Official forum cat lady

John_Vella wrote:
Captain Marvel. It's a super-hero film. Lots of CGI, and not that much of a story, but enjoyable, none the less.

Were you expecting a story? :lol:

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:30 pm

oceanicitl wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

Were you expecting a story? :lol:

Not really. :)

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:12 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I finally watched GOTG vol 1. Honestly, I was bored halfway through. I had no invested interest in the characters. I can see why it was popular. Just didn’t appeal to me. Marginally more entertaining than MoS but only just.

Debating whether to watch GOTG 2 before Endgame (and I still have to watch Captain Marvel, Spiderman Homecoming, and Thor 2).

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:13 pm
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I finally watched GOTG vol 1. Honestly, I was bored halfway through. I had no invested interest in the characters. I can see why it was popular. Just didn’t appeal to me. Marginally more entertaining than MoS but only just.

Debating whether to watch GOTG 2 before Endgame (and I still have to watch Captain Marvel, Spiderman Homecoming, and Thor 2).

GotG is WAY overrated. Some of the jokes barely land because they're edited badly, and it makes the whole thing seem inconsistent in tone etc. It's watchable but it's noticeable how few people reference it in the way they do for the rest of the MCU. Agree about the characters, they're generally dicks and only by the sequel are they even BEGINNING to flesh out two of them. At most.

Actually thought GotG 2 was slightly better but it has the exact same problems, really.

Captain Marvel adds nothing you need to know IMO. If it wasn't for Fury and a guy called Talos that show would have been totally bland. And again, the humour is all over the shop. Lines and entire set ups don't land. Film's a slog in general IMO, felt way longer than it actually was.

Absolutely adjust any expectations you have for Homecoming. It's another Guardians in terms of scattershot humour... Race-swapped roles to hit demographics. A terrible 'comic' sidekick. RDJ phoning it in because they made him do it.

Maybe you're like me and think Holland hasn't been given much to work with in his appearances script-wise? Homecoming does not help that at all. If it hadn't been for Keaton I'd have walked out! [LIFTED] awful, I don't care what anyone says lol.

Thor 2 - even the director called Marvel out first chance he got. Badly edited, most of the movie is in the dark, and the villain makes Ronan the Accuser look like a [LIFTED] star turn. It's absolutely dire.

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:43 pm
What's a life?

I attempted to watch Thor 2 on a plane journey and it was so bad I just kept drifting in and out of sleep. I cannot recall a single scene from it.

I'm a little disappointed in the more recent Marvel films. The first phase was generally good. It seemed to go downhill from there.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:05 am
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I attempted to watch Thor 2 on a plane journey and it was so bad I just kept drifting in and out of sleep. I cannot recall a single scene from it.

I'm a little disappointed in the more recent Marvel films. The first phase was generally good. It seemed to go downhill from there.

Ant Man 2 and Infinity War were good IMO, but around that... You've to go back quite a while! In a perverse way, the release schedule keeps the declining returns wolf from the door. If it was a single movie every year it'd be extremely noticeable how crap some have been (hello, Solo). They've also lucked out with the generations who are going to the flicks, that's wider than ever before because of the nostalgic aspect whatever your personal angle.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:19 am
What's a life?

pcernie wrote:
Absolutely adjust any expectations you have for Homecoming. It's another Guardians in terms of scattershot humour... Race-swapped roles to hit demographics. A terrible 'comic' sidekick. RDJ phoning it in because they made him do it.

Maybe you're like me and think Holland hasn't been given much to work with in his appearances script-wise? Homecoming does not help that at all. If it hadn't been for Keaton I'd have walked out! [LIFTED] awful, I don't care what anyone says lol.

I just watched Homecoming. I did enjoy it. I agree about the “overdiversification” aspect. Holland’s acting reminded me of Michael J Fox in BTTF. Keaton was impressive as the villain. The other characters were instantly forgettable. Action was okay - I’m guessing it couldn’t be too OTT or the Avengers would get called in.

Sat May 04, 2019 9:38 pm
What's a life?

Avengers: Endgame

Finally watched this. SWMBO had been busy with work so hadn't had time to go watch it. When we did, only two cinemas had two screenings a day. Despite that, the cinema was 50% packed.

It continues where Infinity War left. Whilst it had some good moments, some "comic book" moments, and some quiet and reflective moments, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. The battle had fleeting moments of seeing what everyone was doing, it was far too short IMO, and the climax was disappointing.

The film had a 3 hour run time but even then there were bits that could have been cut out to improve the pacing. It does tie up a lot of stuff from previous film, as well as nods to previous Marvel films. I gave Infinity War 4/5 and, on that basis, I'd give Endgame 3.5/5.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147  Next