Reply to topic  [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147  Next
Forum Film Reviews & Recommendations 
Official forum cat lady

So no one is recommending anything other than superhero stuff?

OK....

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

The Shape Of Water

'Amelie' meets 'The Creature From The Black Lagoon,' and what a disappointment it is. I never thought I'd be sat in a cinema watching a Guillermo del Toro film and hoping it would end soon. I was so looking forward to this...it won 4 Oscars including Best Film and Best Director! Yes, the look of the film is as good as you'd expect but the script is a mess and stretches plausibility too far even for a fantasy movie like this.

3 out of 10

Tue May 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Sherlock Gnomes

Pixar have nothing to worry about.

3.5 out of 10

Wed May 30, 2018 10:33 am

Kong: Skull Island

I'm not sure that the world needed a Kong movie so soon after Peter Jackson's effort but I actually preferred this newer version overall. Despite its own story problems (there's nothing new here and it has a high cliches-per-minute count) it doesn't go on and on hour after hour like Jackson's version. Fights between Kong and the various creatures on Skull Island are much more to the point, especially if you remember Jackson's fight between Kong and the Tyrannosaurs which reached the point of boredom. So not a great film but a reasonably entertaining one.

6.5 out of 10.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:06 am
What's a life?

Justice League

I was planning to watch BvS ultimate edition, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and then watch Justice League. I didn't. I watched BvS theatrical cut in the cinema when it came out. Then SWMBO spotted it on NowTV and wanted to watch it. So we did.

We know that Snyder left due to family reasons, and Whedon took over. It shows. The set pieces are pretty good though OTT CGI for pretty much everything. The action is reasonably good. The pacing is good - it never felt too long, like I did in BvS. The plot is weak though. Some of the writing isn't that great. I'm annoyed that some of the scenes in the trailer were cut and there's no directors or extended cut. But it was an enjoyable romp. I know I should give this 2/5 or something but can't help but like it. And I think the main reason is Superman. In MoS and BvS, he was just there. I never felt he was "human" the way Clark was in Superman: The Movie. In that film, you could see how Clark wished he could fit in. He wanted to be human. I never got that in Man of Steel. I never felt any sort of connection. Justice League's Superman returns the humanity to the character. I was pumped for him.

Would happily watch again and I know I enjoyed it more than Avengers Infinity War. I scored IW 4/5. I should score Justice League 5/5 but it is far from a perfect movie. I'm going to give it 3/5.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:14 pm

I too recently watched Justice League for the first time, and I simply do not understand all the hate the film got upon general release at the cinema.
Yes, one director left to be replaced by another, but did that justify the hatred? Not to me it didn't.

I couldn't really rate the film any better than Cloaked_Wolf did above.
I haven't yet seen Infinity War, but I'm perfectly happy with the offerings of the DC superhero films recently.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

The Transporter - Refueled

Not a bad remake, but... A remake of a fairly new movie! The story has a lot of parallels with the original, although the original was better, or rather the new film works like a cheap copy.

Also, no Jason Statham. That is probably the biggest problem. Frank's father is very well played by Ray Stevenson is an interesting althernative to Inspector Tarconi, but you lose the balancing act between being the good bad guy and walking the line of not getting caught by Tarconi.

A good action flick and well filmed stunts, but not a patch on the original.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:18 am
Profile ICQ
Legend

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse

This is the best Spider-Man movie Sony has ever made and it's a CGI cartoon (GREAT CGI, mostly), but don't let that put you off. The jokes land this time. The action isn't boring, it's fast. It knows most of the other movies are a bit ropey and doesn't bore the piss out of you with the backstory all over again. It basically makes a joke of it.

Characters get an appropriate amount of screen time and nothing more. Villains have more nuance in a matter of seconds than they've had in years.

I will say this though; I don't know how much of a Spider-Man geek you need to be. I got all of it, but I don't know if that equates to mainstream overload. There's definitely a lot of modern Spider-Man representation onscreen.

Go on Cheap Tuesday if you're in two minds about the geeky aspect, but it's still really funny.

Oh, there's a post-credits sequence, FYI.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:53 pm
Legend

Creed 2

Definitely worth a watch if you enjoyed the first. The first half is so perfectly paced that it makes the second feel like a rush to the finish line, but it's a decent film all the same. It just goes a little too far with the throwbacks to Rocky's history.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:57 pm

pcernie wrote:
Creed 2
I saw the trailer for this just recently and I'm quite looking forward to seeing the film.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Aquaman

Just come back from watching this. I should hate it. I really should. It didn’t feel focussed - part redemption, part underwater Tron Legacy, part Indiana Jones, partly serious, partly over-the-top and tongue-in-cheek. The CGI was lovely in some scenes but generally crappy and noticeably so (well it would do being set largely underwater). But my God was it fun. I never once looked at my watch or felt tired. I kinda hate myself for enjoying this film. This was more enjoyable than most of the Marvel films, and better than MoS or BvS (not yet watched WW).

It should deserve maybe 3/5 but I came out of the cinema feeling pumped so it gets:
4/5.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:00 pm
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Aquaman

Just come back from watching this. I should hate it. I really should. It didn’t feel focussed - part redemption, part underwater Tron Legacy, part Indiana Jones, partly serious, partly over-the-top and tongue-in-cheek. The CGI was lovely in some scenes but generally crappy and noticeably so (well it would do being set largely underwater). But my God was it fun. I never once looked at my watch or felt tired. I kinda hate myself for enjoying this film. This was more enjoyable than most of the Marvel films, and better than MoS or BvS (not yet watched WW).

It should deserve maybe 3/5 but I came out of the cinema feeling pumped so it gets:
4/5.

That's pretty much the review I just read elsewhere. They're not getting my money for it, but I'll see it somehow inevitably. Reminds me, Venom is home released on Tuesday :twisted:

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:03 pm
What's a life?

I was planning on watching Venom at the cinema. The poor reviews put me off. Let me know how you find it.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:29 am
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I was planning on watching Venom at the cinema. The poor reviews put me off. Let me know how you find it.

Will do.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:40 am
Legend

Bumblebee - All those Decepticons in the trailer? Cameos. They get a single line each and some don't get to say or really do anything at all.

That 'humour' that didn't land in the trailer? That's all you're getting. A small child wouldn't giggle at this. They certainly didn't in the screening I was at.

A terrible script, no new ideas*... Bay was only producer on this one but his fingerprints are all over it. Even worse, Spielberg has run it through with his standard sentimentality so that it really jars with the characters being unnecessarily and inconsistently nasty (thanks, Mr Bay).

The only benefit this film has over the others is you can actually see what's happening with the robots. Reminds me, the main villains are DULL. Two ciphers. Not even sure they gave them names, but certainly not a backstory.

It's as dumb as a rock. The first Transformers movie is probably better overall. Not even joking. And this is supposed to be the writers' room reboot? They barely got beyond battering you over the head with 80s tunes in the hope you'd ignore the fact they couldn't get it together.

* Is there a Transformers movie where Bumblebee isn't tortured?

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147  Next