Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Massage received: From McLuhan to the digital age 
What's a life?

Quote:
In 1964, a 53-year-old professor of English literature called Marshall McLuhan published a book called Understanding Media.

It was brilliant but obtuse in its wide-ranging intellectual flourishes. It described new media - like television and radio and magazines and paperback books - as "extensions of man". It also contained a phrase, which has gone on to have exponential meaning ever since: "the medium is the message".

This slogan became one of the forces fuelling The Medium is the Massage. (Yes. Massage.) McLuhan’s encyclopedic ideas were presented as quick-fire bursts of bold words and fragmented images. Readers were being told: this is what accelerated advances in technology and communication are doing to you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... igital-age

The number of people I have heard calling this book “The Medium is the Message” and then telling me that I’m wrong when I correct them is incredible. I was even told by a university lecturer once to look for it using that name. That kind of mistake lodges and becomes a kind of folk truth, a bit like calling the monster in Frankenstein “Frankenstein”.

Mind you, this little gem at the end of the article further muddies the water:
Quote:
A clever play on words by Marshall McLuhan? His son Dr Eric McLuhan, on the website of the McLuhan estate, suggests that the title was a “typo”.

He says it should have read “ the Message” but it came back from the typesetters with the error. When McLuhan saw “the Massage” he wanted it left as it was.

Anyho, The Medium is the Massage is an interesting read/look. It’s almost like a day’s sifting through the internet - images and text, not always related, butted up together. Some pages even devoid of much content at all.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]