Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Star Trek: Federation 
What's a life?

pcernie wrote:
timark_uk wrote:
Airdate scrapped yet again.
I really think CBS has no idea how to handle this show.
It has been rushed, pushed back, delayed cast announcements, delayed synopsis, pushed back again, showrunner left …
Quite the disaster on paper.

Mark

And that's before they put it where next to nobody will see it...

Imagine if the BBC had bungled Doctor Who’s 50 anniversary programming. There’d be riots. Trek is equally important, and seems to have been treated on it’s original medium with such lacklustre care and attention that you get the feeling that no-one cares.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:10 pm

Axanar fan film lawsuit settled

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:31 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Hmmm. It's good that the lawsuit has been resolved but it sucks that it won't be the full film as intended. Two 15 minute parts with significant changes to adhere to Paramounts crappy new rules for fan films could render it a completely different proposition than what all the people and fans that supported it thought they would get.

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it but I really think Paramount have shot themselves in the foot on this one.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it but I really think Paramount have shot themselves in the foot on this one.

Call me cynical, but I suspect any sort of backlash will be a rounding error in the profits of whatever next version of the franchise they decide to launch.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:51 pm
What's a life?

Why Trek’s DS9 & Voyager Will Never Be HD
http://www.darkhorizons.com/why-treks-d ... ver-be-hd/

Basically: too expensive and at the wrong end of BluRay’s life to make it worthwhile.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:28 pm
What's a life?

Quote:
as streaming was taking off leading to disappointing Blu-ray sales for the series

You know what? If it were heavily advertised and marketed, they would have had a lot more sales. I knew there was an article about restoring Season 1 of TNG, and there was a plan to restore the remainder. However, I knew nothing of when they'd completed the series.

It's probably about three years ago now that I was watching TNG on Netflix. They then took it off and I hadn't watched it from about S5/6 onwards. It then came back on a few months ago and looked distinctly "better". I then had to find out if it was the remastered version and if that had been released. That's how I found out about the remastered boxset.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:03 am
What's a life?

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Quote:
as streaming was taking off leading to disappointing Blu-ray sales for the series

You know what? If it were heavily advertised and marketed, they would have had a lot more sales. I knew there was an article about restoring Season 1 of TNG, and there was a plan to restore the remainder. However, I knew nothing of when they'd completed the series./quote]

There was a lot of concern in some quarters that the remaining series of TNG was being bungled based on the fact that there were two companies doing it, and that there was some leaked footage that seemed to suggest that it wasn’t going as well as it was for the first season. Seems that those fears were unfounded.

As the article also states, as DS9 and Voyager continued, the use of more and more CGI elements means that these will have to be either re-created, certainly re-rendered at higher resolutions. In comparison with TNG, where all the effects (including miniature work) were practical and filmed, this is a much bigger task.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:03 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Hmm, interesting. I would have thought thought that steaming would give another window of opportunity here.
There are legions of fans out there would would dearly love to see DS9 and Voyager in at least HD and frankly, if CBS had the HD versions to go on their new streaming service it would likely convince more fans to sign up than their new series is likely to (especially if it turns out to be garbage). Once the work is done you pick how it's released - could go with streaming first then, after it's been out for a while start releasing it on BluRay - it's not like the Studios are unused to the concept of charging people multiple times for the (essentially) same content.

The small clips in the article they had of remastered space battles from DS9 were actually pretty impressive.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:42 pm
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
Hmm, interesting. I would have thought thought that steaming would give another window of opportunity here.
There are legions of fans out there would would dearly love to see DS9 and Voyager in at least HD and frankly, if CBS had the HD versions to go on their new streaming service it would likely convince more fans to sign up than their new series is likely to (especially if it turns out to be garbage). Once the work is done you pick how it's released - could go with streaming first then, after it's been out for a while start releasing it on BluRay - it's not like the Studios are unused to the concept of charging people multiple times for the (essentially) same content.

The small clips in the article they had of remastered space battles from DS9 were actually pretty impressive.

I genuinely think that it’s something they should do. The majority of Trek series (including the animated series) are now in HD, so why not make the rest available in that format too? The difference in picture quality is obvious, especially when SyFy are running DS9 and TNG back to back.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:56 pm
Legend

New Documentary Outlines An Eighth Season Of ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’
http://sciencefiction.com/2017/02/10/ne ... pace-nine/

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Delayed again.
It now won't screen until late summer or early autumn.
I really do hope this show was worth the wait when it finally gets broadcast.

Mark

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:04 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

timark_uk wrote:
Delayed again.
It now won't screen until late summer or early autumn.
I really do hope this show was worth the wait when it finally gets broadcast.

Mark

I think “broadcast” is a slightly optimistic term for “streaming on an obscure platform”.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:48 pm
Legend

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Will Be “Bigger, Rawer, And Grittier”
http://sciencefiction.com/2017/04/04/st ... -grittier/

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:44 pm

pcernie wrote:
‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Will Be “Bigger, Rawer, And Grittier”
http://sciencefiction.com/2017/04/04/st ... -grittier/
If we ever get to actually see it.

Mark

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Yeah, because everyone wants Star Trek to be 'raw and gritty' rather than, you know, fun.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next