Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Star Trek: Federation 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

davrosG5 wrote:
So, ST:Discovery first impressions.

Didn't think the pilot was awful by any stretch of the imagination. There's a reasonable amount to like here although as expected the technology and effects make it rather difficult to reconcile its apparent position in the chronology.

Still, I will be watching the next episode whenever it pops up.

Not watched it yet but is not by ST and TNG showing that its matured technology - that is Warp, shields, phasers all exist they are just better (faster, more damage etc) that the ones ST:D

After all if we take current tech- there were/are Jets, rockets , radar working in 1950 (and I know earlier) planes but they would not stand up to a modern fighter - so the same the ST:D v TNG

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:35 pm
What's a life?

hifidelity2 wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:

Didn't think the pilot was awful by any stretch of the imagination. There's a reasonable amount to like here although as expected the technology and effects make it rather difficult to reconcile its apparent position in the chronology.

Not watched it yet but is not by ST and TNG showing that its matured technology - that is Warp, shields, phasers all exist they are just better (faster, more damage etc) that the ones ST:D

After all if we take current tech- there were/are Jets, rockets , radar working in 1950 (and I know earlier) planes but they would not stand up to a modern fighter - so the same the ST:D v TNG

The problem is special effects and CGI tempt them to make things look "better" than the 1960s.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:50 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

hifidelity2 wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:

I think the point here is that it *looks* newer than previous incarnations of Trek. It’s an ongoing problem with the sequels.

For example, screens. In TOS, they were back projecting displays, but everything looked like they were using CRTs as a model, so the displays had bulk - and crucially depth - to them. By TNG, they had flat panel displays, even if that technology was not available to programme makers, they made props based on that assumption. They even had touch screen displays. Things moved on (even though DS9 used CRTs for their displays, the implication was that they were panels, not cubes).

And along came Enterprise, with flat panel screens everywhere. If you were going to retro-fit a prequel in, you’d be wanting to make the ship _look_ as if it was using older technology. They’d be on black and white displays if they too the TNG model and pushed that back a few decades. Basically,Enterprise should have looked as if it was designed *before* TOS. You could argue that Discovery should be more modern than Enterprise, but less modern than TOS.

I’ll bet that the computer systems in Discovery are all isolinear chips (or whatever), rather than circuit boards with transistors all over them - like they used in TOS!

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:55 pm
What's a life?

big_D wrote:
hifidelity2 wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:

The problem is special effects and CGI tempt them to make things look "better" than the 1960s.

Not to mention good old 1960s sexism. Where are the mini skirts?

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:56 pm

davrosG5 wrote:

I quite enjoyed it.
davrosG5 wrote:

As will I - the glimpse into the coming season was very promising, IMO.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:26 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Just watched the first two episodes of Discovery this afternoon.
I write liked it. Not 100% sure about how they've done the Klingons, but I liked all the other designs .
Might watch episode 3 when I get home later.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:09 pm
Profile WWW

Watched episode 3 last night.
In and of itself quite good but it also reinforced my views about this being set in the wrong time. So far there is nothing they’ve done that wouldn’t have made more sense being set a good while after the TNG/DS9/Voyager era. Setting it in the future would have avoided any issues created by the better effects and would have given an opportunity to explain why the Kilingons look like they’ve run into a wall while carrying paint.

Anywho, roll on episode 4.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Episode 4

Quite enjoyed this one but they really need to sort out the uniforms so it's easier to identify the poor sod who's this weeks Red Shirt :lol:
Anyone else been watching?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

Also been watching with SWMBO and so far have enjoyed it

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 am
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
Episode 4

Quite enjoyed this one but they really need to sort out the uniforms so it's easier to identify the poor sod who's this weeks Red Shirt :lol:
Anyone else been watching?

I’ll be waiting for the inevitable release from Netflix shackles. I epxct there’s a limited exclusivity deal there, afetr which time it’ll appear on a channel I may actually be able to watch it on, or BluRay or download.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:08 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Just watched episode 5. Best one yet.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I understand that they have invented some kind of “mushroom space travel” thing for Discovery. :?

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:27 pm

paulzolo wrote:
I understand that they have invented some kind of “mushroom space travel” thing for Discovery. :?
Something along those lines, yes.
To go into more detail would potentially spoil the first few episodes for those that haven't seen it.
I'm sure you can get all the information you need with a search query or two. (8+)

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:52 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Every time they come across a human colony on Star Trek, they seem almost surprised to find it. Given StarFleet‘s obsession with logging everything (and they all seem to keep personal logs, professional ones, and who knows what else), this surprises me greatly. I even remember one episode (possibly Voyager) where someone noted about the obsessive data gathering, and the volumes of space needed to store that information.

Right now, watching a TNG episode where they know about the system, geology, impending disasters, but suddenly find a human colony. There must have been a time between Warp drive discovery and the Star Trek that we know where a sudden, massive data loss was experienced.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:10 pm

Never underestimate the ability of a massive bureaucracy to mis-file things :D

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next