Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Star Trek: Federation 
What's a life?

"Encounter at Farpoint" on SyFy again. That exchange between Data and McCoy suddenly seems unsettling., McCoy keeps calling Data "boy", and in that Southern accent, he sounds like an old plantation owner speaking to a slave. That subject is picked up later on in "Measure of a Man" (season 2 IIRC) later on. I wonder if that was an intentional decision by the writers, or whether it was just coincidental. Trek likes its subjects, but I've not known it to flag one up like that well in advance.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:44 pm
What's a life?

I recently picked up ST:TNG on Netflix. I had started watching it in 2014 but they then pulled it off Netflix. I started watching from S1 onwards and it's obvious it's the remastered version - the quality is so much better and there are more details in the ships and background stuff.
The acting was very off from the first half of S1 esp Patrick Stewart. By the second half, things were improving. S2 onwards was better and by S3 they were more akin to what the rest of the series was like. Very enjoyable. I love some of the thought provoking issues raised like Measure of a Man.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:59 am
What's a life?

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I recently picked up ST:TNG on Netflix. I had started watching it in 2014 but they then pulled it off Netflix. I started watching from S1 onwards and it's obvious it's the remastered version - the quality is so much better and there are more details in the ships and background stuff.
The acting was very off from the first half of S1 esp Patrick Stewart. By the second half, things were improving. S2 onwards was better and by S3 they were more akin to what the rest of the series was like. Very enjoyable. I love some of the thought provoking issues raised like Measure of a Man.

Series 3 is where they all found their feet. They got Gate McFadden back (so the principal cast was restored), and the writes suddenly got some great ideas to play with. That series pretty much set up the rest of that programme’s run. The cast found their roles. Almost like season 1 was a rehearsal, and 2 was really season 1.

I watched some of the early TNG stories on rented VHS round a friend’s house as they came out. God the picture quality was dreadful, and we thought that it was going to be a one series wonder. The first four stories were ringing alarm bells - especially “Code of Honor”.

Another thing to listen out for in the early episodes - the floors in some of the sets sound really bad. No sound proofing at all, and they sound like they are on hollow wooden platforms. Even the main bridge has that sound to it.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:58 pm
What's a life?

I'm watching on iPad/iPhone so haven't really noticed any audio discrepancies. Currently on s03e08 - The Price.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:04 pm
What's a life?

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I'm watching on iPad/iPhone so haven't really noticed any audio discrepancies. Currently on s03e08 - The Price.

SyFy has looped round to the beginning - The Naked Now, Code of Honor, and The Last Outpost (with the first outing for the Ferengi) was on last night. The audio problems with the floors seems to have been sorted out by these episodes. It’s possible that they are just in the Encounter at Farpoint story.

There are far too many Mary Sue/Stu problems with these stories, BTW, especially when Wesley Crusher turns up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:51 am
What's a life?

Yup, Wesley is the one character I've always hated in TNG. Some of the episodes would have benefitted from being explored further eg Who Watches The Watchers.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:48 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Wesley was particularly irritating, especially early on. I would say he got less annoying over time though.
The character I found most irritating was Worf's son Alexander.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:01 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Yep, Wesley was always very annoying.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

l3v1ck wrote:
Yep, Wesley was always very annoying.

Wayyyy back in the 190s, when I was at Uni, we got internet access - this was pretty much newsgroups (and nothing more) using some terminal app on the Macs they had. I joined a Star Trek one, and made some remark about not liking Wesley Crusher. The number of genuine nerdy types who could not separate the actor from the character was staggering.

There are some later Wesley Crusher stories that were actually good. The one I liked the most was the one where he’s involved in a flying accident and is being coerced into being part of a cover-up. I think that’s the closest we get to seeing Picard wrestling with his assumed duties as a father (I think by then it was pretty damn obvious that he had been more than just Beverley’s husband’s friend), as well as the flagship captain. I would have liked to have seen more of that Wesley (over his head, a bit lost and overwhelmed by being outside of the Enterprise bubble) than the nerdy kid who always knows the answer. Wasn’t there another story where he had joined some form of elite group of cadets and it was getting a bit fascist, or was the Nog in DS9?

Anyway, Wesley ends up growing a pair, tells Star Fleet to [LIFTED] off, and joins a group of Native Americans on some far off planet outside of Federation Space.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:34 am

paulzolo wrote:
[Wasn’t there another story where he had joined some form of elite group of cadets and it was getting a bit fascist, or was the Nog in DS9?

Anyway, Wesley ends up growing a pair, tells Star Fleet to [LIFTED] off, and joins a group of Native Americans on some far off planet outside of Federation Space.

Yeah, that was Nog although it was the same group of cadets that Wesley was part of (Red Squad or something like that).
There are a couple of Red Squad/Nog episodes in DS9. There is the two parter where an Admiral tries to orchestrate a coup on Earth - Red Squad were used to sabotage Earths power supplies to make it look like the Changelings were up to stuff.
The second is the one with the USS Valiant - Jake and Nog are rescued by the ship (behind enemy lines) and find it's crewed by Red Squad cadets. All the actual officers were killed near the start of the war while they were on a training mission and the cadets have been running the ship ever since. It's a good episode to demonstrate the power of main people character shields on a ship :D

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:27 pm

So, ST:Discovery first impressions.

Didn't think the pilot was awful by any stretch of the imagination. There's a reasonable amount to like here although as expected the technology and effects make it rather difficult to reconcile its apparent position in the chronology.

Still, I will be watching the next episode whenever it pops up.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:31 am
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
the technology and effects make it rather difficult to reconcile its apparent position in the chronology.

That was the problem with Enterprise too. It looked too new and modern to be a precursor to The Original Series.

As I don”t have Netflix, I’ll have to wait for it to appear elsewhere - probably on DVD.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:00 am

paulzolo wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:
the technology and effects make it rather difficult to reconcile its apparent position in the chronology.

That was the problem with Enterprise too. It looked too new and modern to be a precursor to The Original Series.

As I don”t have Netflix, I’ll have to wait for it to appear elsewhere - probably on DVD.

I didn't think they actually did too bad a job on Enterprise in terms of making it feel like a previous era. There was enough that felt genuinely older than the original for it to work IMHO, although it stated falling to bits a little once the hit the Xindi storyline where as Discovery definitely clangs and I also can't quite make up my mind whether it's trying to fit in with the prime timeline or the JJ-verse. I'm sure they've said it's meant to tie into the prime timeline but the similarities with the recent films is a bit too close.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:12 am

It's become just a generic, action-based science fiction show now. Much like the films have.
They just happen to be using the name and technology of Star Trek and the Star Trek universe.
Between the look and behaviour of the Klingons, the advanced looking design of the Federation ships and the distinct lak of anything resembling nostalgia to any of the previous shows - yes, I know about the timeline, but you can't just ignore that your viewing public is in the role of dominant specularity.
I realised with the films that modern Trek is not ever going to be like Trek of old, and just to try and enjoy it for what it now is.
The same holds true for ST:D as it does for the films.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:22 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

timark_uk wrote:
It's become just a generic, action-based science fiction show now. Much like the films have.
They just happen to be using the name and technology of Star Trek and the Star Trek universe.
Between the look and behaviour of the Klingons, the advanced looking design of the Federation ships and the distinct lak of anything resembling nostalgia to any of the previous shows - yes, I know about the timeline, but you can't just ignore that your viewing public is in the role of dominant specularity.
I realised with the films that modern Trek is not ever going to be like Trek of old, and just to try and enjoy it for what it now is.
The same holds true for ST:D as it does for the films.

Mark

I think the first JJ Trek film was rather good. It returned to the “pulp sci-fi” feel of the original, albeit with 21st century vibes. It bounced along rather well. Trek had become too ponderous, and had grown fat on its legacy and canon to the point where it was hard for it to function. A reboot was a good move. It gave the opportunity to tell the stories that had never been screened before.

So, the second trie to re-tread the Khan story, and I really wish they hadn’t. The third was further from Trek than I would have liked. It turned into a damsel in distress movie, which may well pander to fans of 1960/50s SciFi, but given Trek}s ability to be forward thinking in such things, it seemed a rather awkward thing to do.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next