Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
The WTF?! thread 
Legend

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/ ... ed-126737/

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:24 pm
What's a life?

I had my first cyberattack today!

We were receiving unwanted traffic from a single external IP address, so much data, that it completely blocked out connection. It took the Telekom a half the day to realise what I was telling them and to react to it. They have now blocked the address at their border.

Our servers are slowly catching up with the email traffic blocked during the day.

What is interesting is, that the IP address behind the "attack" purportedly belongs to Google Inc.

http://ipinfo.io/172.217.4.147

Trying to get hold of Google is like trying to boil water in a sieve! Their telephone support just tells you to go to their website and select the product you are having problems with (there is no Denial of Service product listed :roll: ). The website is useless. Their support email address gives an automatic reply, that they get too many emails and they are not read and will not be responded to!

I tweeted Google and GoogleDE, but neither have responded...

Edit: Still no response, not even an "it wasn't us".

To Do: First job for tomorrow, change all browsers in the office to use Bing and block Google! :lol:

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:39 pm
Profile ICQ
Legend

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-41291483

I'd pay over the odds before I gave that [LIFTED] O'Leary any money.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:47 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
The last time (and indeed only time) I used Ryan Air, was so long ago I flew on a 737-200.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Had an email from British Gas asking me to give them an electricity meter reading. I did this and duly filled in the details on their website. Now it was substantially lower than their previous estimate which I think is due to the previous tenants being a family with two teenage girls plus the mum ran a business from home. So the fact that we don't use anywhere near as much electricity as BG think we should has really unnerved them.

Quote:
Thank you for providing your meter reading of 80424 on 18 September 2017.

Unfortunately, the reading you gave us doesn’t appear to be in line with previous reading we’ve had. This means we’ve not been able to use it to create your latest bill, as it would result in one that was either far too high or low. So we had to estimate your electricity, and this is what will be shown on your bill when it arrives.

They've asked me to send another meter reading which will be little different from the figure above. :| :roll:

Maybe they should just send someone round to read the meter as they obviously think I'm lying.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Paul1965 wrote:
Had an email from British Gas asking me to give them an electricity meter reading. I did this and duly filled in the details on their website. Now it was substantially lower than their previous estimate which I think is due to the previous tenants being a family with two teenage girls plus the mum ran a business from home. So the fact that we don't use anywhere near as much electricity as BG think we should has really unnerved them.

Quote:
Thank you for providing your meter reading of 80424 on 18 September 2017.

Unfortunately, the reading you gave us doesn’t appear to be in line with previous reading we’ve had. This means we’ve not been able to use it to create your latest bill, as it would result in one that was either far too high or low. So we had to estimate your electricity, and this is what will be shown on your bill when it arrives.

They've asked me to send another meter reading which will be little different from the figure above. :| :roll:

Maybe they should just send someone round to read the meter as they obviously think I'm lying.

Just tell them, not too politely that, if they insist on using an estimate for your bill, you'll make an estimate on how much you are prepared to pay.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:27 pm
What's a life?

I had that with my first house. A family moved out and I moved in with my brother, he left after about a year. I was on the road all the time and it was about 2 years of payments at the estimated level before they got around to finally correcting the bill. Turned out I had paid a couple of thousand more than I should have. It took them a couple of meter readings before they would believe it. They also refused to pay back the excess, on the other side, I didn't have to pay gas or electric for about 4 years afterwards.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:52 am
Profile ICQ

I've had that with SSE before when submitting readings on their website. It rejects it the first time then accepts it the second time.
I have to say though, they are nowhere near as good at following customer supplied readings as I found Peterborough Energy (basically OVO) to be.
I normally do a meter reading every month so they have no excuse for using estimated bills. PE/OVO were really good at dealing with this, SSE not so much.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:01 am
Legend

Budget Energy over here are hopeless in my favour ;)

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:32 am

pcernie wrote:
I left them due to endless empty promises of creating an app for customers.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

timark_uk wrote:
pcernie wrote:
I left them due to endless empty promises of creating an app for customers.

Mark

Yeah, they've created it but never sent me ANYTHING. I'm getting on to them once I have a million other things sorted.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:42 pm

Oxford student Lavinia Woodward spared jail for knife attack

From the BBC:
Quote:

An "extraordinary" Oxford University student who stabbed her boyfriend in the leg has avoided a prison sentence. Lavinia Woodward, 24, admitted attacking the man at her student accommodation at Christ Church College after drinking heavily.

At an earlier hearing Judge Ian Pringle QC said he believed a custodial sentence would damage her career. On Monday she was given a 10-month jail sentence suspended for 18 months for inflicting unlawful wounding. Oxford Crown Court heard Woodward attacked her then boyfriend, who she had met on dating app Tinder, while he was visiting her in December.

She became angry when he contacted her mother on Skype after he realised she had been drinking. She threw a laptop at him and stabbed him in the lower leg with a breadknife, also injuring two of his fingers. Woodward then tried to stab herself with the knife before he disarmed her

Can't imagine a male student would have got away with this. I'm not sure she's cut out to be a surgeon either.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:53 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Wtf has her career got anything to do with it. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:12 pm
Profile WWW

l3v1ck wrote:
Wtf has her career got anything to do with it. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Quite. Sort of makes a mockery of the idea that everyone is equal in the eyes of the law.
She sounds unhinged, at least when drunk. "I was drunk when I did it" doesn't normally warrant special treatment and it shouldn't have here either.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:20 am
Spends far too much time on here

Worth a read on that subject...
https://thesecretbarrister.com/2017/09/26/update-an-oxford-medical-student-stabbed-her-boyfriend-with-a-bread-knife-so-why-did-she-not-go-to-prison/

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next