Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Well done leeds_manc! 
Site Admin

Now book yourself up with Pass Plus & get yourself involved in the closest IAM driving group.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:24 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

saspro wrote:
Now book yourself up with Pass Plus & get yourself involved in the closest IAM driving group.

pass plus a complete ripoff. I didnt bother with it as for me the insurance would only drop by £8, before I had a full license I had already learned night driving, snow driving, rain, twilight, duel carrigeways, motorways etc but havent really familiarised myself with city driving so that would be the only real benefit. Most foreign English people here seem to live in citys already so again it would be a complete waste of anyones £150 :evil:

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:04 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

bish wrote:
You also need to put up with the assholes that comes reallllly close to your back bumper (I like to go reallllllly slow, just to peeee them off! ;))

Also, parking in tight stopts with traffic coming, and being a pain, paralel parking, ah it'll be SO FUN! :D

Oh yes I just slow down gently, if they get closer I slow down more, eventually they either back off or overtake you, win win, they can go and be a rubbish driver to someone else :)

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:26 am
Occasionally has a life

l3v1ck wrote:
Now you've passed your test, you can learn how to drive. [No joke]

I don't mean to undermine you here Lev. I may well have misinterpreted your meaning.

This is an attitude I encounter a lot, and it is simply wrong. Perhaps in the past instructors taught you how to pass a test, but these days we're just teaching you how to drive. At least that's what I do, and I'd be surprised if Chris' instructor was any different. The skills you have been taught are the correct ones to use in any given situation. Now that you're qualified, you can work on honing those skills yourself, through practice and experience. You will learn how to adapt them to take into consideration all the other road users who dismiss new drivers as clueless morons who's sole purpose is to prevent them from catching the first 5 mins of Neighbours on their commute home.

What you will learn is how to read difficult situations, spot hazards earlier, and deal with them more effectively. Do not change the way you drive! Believe me, as somebody who trains learners, new drivers and experienced drivers; the perception some people have, that you have to alter your driving (usually by making sure you're breaking the speed limit by at least 10%, and approaching junctions at break neck speed, while taking little or no observations) is completely incorrect.

The thing is, no matter how long you've been driving there are still things that will catch you out and you can learn from. The greatest skill you can learn in driving is to be adaptable.

Like so many times before and feeling a bead of sweat form on his sun-beaten brow, the dog launched himself upwards, jaws open, full of expectation edged with uncertainty, to retrieve the flying disc from it's azimuth; no dog had done this before.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3