Reply to topic  [ 2855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191  Next
The Something New That You Learned Today 
What's a life?

leeds_manc wrote:
Faith is a virtue :)

You know,, it might just be possible someone else knows better than you. I admit it's far fetched, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:13 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I've yet to see the evidence of that.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:57 pm
Spends far too much time on here

:D You're basically mocking me for having faith in my GP, surely of ALL the people in the world, the one person I should be able to have faith in is my GP?!

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:49 am

I'm not mocking you at all, no personal mockery intended.

And I'm also no mocking GPs, they're heroes. However they can also prescribe homeopathy and chiropractic massage, which are on a par with water divining. So not everything they say should be gospel.

Nutritionists who recommend multivitamins, hmm.

A specific vitamin, to treat a vitmain deficiency disease, is not the same, so if that's the case, I'll back down from any skepticism. Is that the case? If not, save your money, and stay away from the "non-medicine" section in Boots. :) /end of life advice for a while, I'm giving this gold away for free, i should take a leaf out of Martin Lewis's book.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:16 pm
What's a life?

I think there may be a bit of confusion here, so we need clarification.

In the NHS, you have dieticians and nutritionists and they are pretty much the same thing - they look at what you're eating and what you may be deficient in. They are registered and have qualifications. However, outside of the NHS, you can have nutritionists and nutritional therapists who are part of alternative medicine and may not have valid qualifications eg Gillian McKeith has a PhD in holistic nutrition. Something that IIRC Ben Goldacre signed his cat up for.

GPs should not be recommending or prescribing or referring for alternative therapies (with maybe the exception of accupuncture which has shown some limited benefit). There is a strong Govt agenda to push alternative therapies in the NHS.

I'm often reminded of this:

https://youtu.be/HMGIbOGu8q0

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:26 pm
What's a life?

leeds_manc wrote:
However they can also prescribe homeopathy and chiropractic massage, which are on a par with water divining.

I have more faith in water divining.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:41 pm
Spends far too much time on here

I think I should have been using the term Dietician instead of Nutritionist since I think that's the protected term for a qualified health professional. The long and short of it is that my GP referred me to a dietician so I could get some help with my diet. The dietician is making various changes to my diet which is deficient in some things, vitamins and minerals, but suggested that rather than supplementing my diet with the things I'm missing, involving 4 or more supplements per day, I might as well take one general multivitamin which will cover all bases. I trust my GP for referring me to a dietician and I trust the dietician to be working out what's best for my body, based on empirical evidence.

I was just fascinated to find out that B-Vitamins can make your pee green!!

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:10 pm

Some light reading:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/mo ... e-avoided/

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:15 pm
Legend

I don't know/can't think of anyone else who has ever pronounced ex-machina as 'ex-mackina' :oops: :?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:25 pm
What's a life?

pcernie wrote:
I don't know/can't think of anyone else who has ever pronounced ex-machina as 'ex-mackina' :oops: :?

I've heard it pronounced like that a few times by those people who work on a set and are filming for behind the scenes/DVD extras bits.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:48 am
Officially Mrs saspro

pcernie wrote:

I say makina. That's how it's pronounced in French but it seems both are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:27 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

It's quite hard to define definitive pronunciation rules for latin - nobody actually speaks it day to day any more and the formal rules passed down through the dark ages may well have been changed/'corrupted'. If we take modern Italian as a reasonable guide, it would be pronounced something very similar to 'mah-keena' but the sound for 'ch' is slightly more elongated than the English 'k'. It's definitely not 'mah-cheena'.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:45 am
Officially Mrs saspro

It's comes from the Greek via Latin which is where it gets messy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:07 am
Profile WWW

I thought it was pronounced "mackina", though only because I think that's how I first heard someone pronounce it. I've never thought to look it up.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:15 pm
Legend

NECA are making TMNT figures in all sorts of scales... Just when the outlay for Aliens and Predator figures had finally become manageable!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191  Next