Reply to topic  [ 2855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 191  Next
The Something New That You Learned Today 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

leeds_manc wrote:
That vaccines are more effective when they're dirty, a pure vaccine that just contains antigens will frequently fail to create enough antibodies to protect you in the future, vaccines are usually made dirtier by adding an adjuvant. Precisely how adjuvants work is still not entirely understood - early on it was discovered that contaminated vaccine batches are often more effective.

The main supplier of the UK flu vaccines is Novartis, and they have patented the MF59 adjuvant, which makes the H1N1 vaccines a milky white (otherwise they would be clear).

My lay person understanding of this is that our immune system deals with the pure antigens too effectively (which prompts the question why we need a vaccine in the first place). Did I mention Novartis's annual turnover? :p I'd like a more scientific explanation for adjuvants if anyone on here knows about them?

There you are a potential answer to your question
clicky

Quote:
No one fully understands why adjuvants boost the effectiveness of nonliving vaccines. Several theories have been proposed but none have been widely accepted.

The National Jewish team was investigating a phenomenon known as MHC class II signaling, which occurs during interactions between B cells and T cells. When properly stimulated, B cells mature into plasma cells, which release antibodies, one of the immune system's major disease-fighting tools. However, researchers had noticed that B cells must be prepared, or primed, if they are to be stimulated through this signaling pathway. If not primed, they will do nothing or even self-destruct. Priming, however, had been mainly observed in cell cultures. The National Jewish team wanted to determine whether priming occurs in animals, learn how it occurs, and how it might affect the overall antibody response.

They discovered that the injection of the adjuvant alum alone could prime B cells in mice. Then they discovered that cells bearing a marker known as Gr1 appeared in the spleen shortly after the injection of alum into mice. Gr1 is a marker found on a variety of immune-system cells, including granulocytes. This group of Gr1 cells in the spleen had not been previously recognized, and researchers have not yet completely characterized them. But they did show that the Gr1 cells secrete interleukin-4 and that both the Gr1 cells and the interleukin-4 are necessary for the priming of the B cells. When they inactivated the Gr1 cells, mice responded to a vaccine containing the adjuvant with fewer B cells and fewer antibodies.

"Our research shows that alum injection triggers the accumulation of Gr1 cells in the spleen, which prime B cells and facilitate their response to vaccines," said senior author John Cambier, Ph.D.,

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:46 am
Occasionally has a life

That box you see at the top of email newletters etc (usually with headlines, key points and so on) is called a Johnson Box.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:38 pm
Spends far too much time on here

RedEyes wrote:
That box you see at the top of email newletters etc (usually with headlines, key points and so on) is called a Johnson Box.

*Snigger*

:oops:

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:43 pm
Spends far too much time on here

That my credit rating isn't as fubared as I thought it was and I can transfer my balance for 12 months interest free.

A Mac User.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:45 pm
What's a life?

The South American fur seal derives it's motion under water from it's front flippers, unlike a true seal which uses it's rear flippers.
The fur seal can attain a speed of 25mph under water, and can easily out pace a human on the flat, on dry land.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:24 pm
What's a life?

I learnt last night that the poison dart frog isn't poisonous when it's diet is controlled in such a way as not to include the alkalis that would otherwise turn them poisonous.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 am
Doesn't have much of a life

That MVC is confusing.

Also, that CakePHP has a nice manual.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:44 am

That I am still a damn good chef ,and it tastes good . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming...
Damn, What a ride!!

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:31 pm
Legend

The sheer scale of American college football games, as per Stephen Fry's America book - in terms of attendance, police presence etc, one college game is bigger than the FA Cup final :shock:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:44 pm

themcman1 wrote:
That MVC is confusing.

Lol, yup.

But when you get it right it's worth the effort.

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:02 am
Profile WWW

Fogmeister wrote:
themcman1 wrote:
That MVC is confusing.

Lol, yup.

Does the fact that I didn't know that I didn't know what MVC stands for mean that saying I learnt today that I don't know what MVC stands for is a valid entry?

:shock: :? ;) :lol: :roll:

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:08 am
Profile WWW

John_Vella wrote:
Fogmeister wrote:
themcman1 wrote:
That MVC is confusing.

Lol, yup.

Does the fact that I didn't know that I didn't know what MVC stands for mean that saying I learnt today that I don't know what MVC stands for is a valid entry?

I can learn you what it stands for if you want and then you can have another entry!

It stands for Model - View - Controller.

It's a programming design pattern that separates the data and the GUI from the logic. :D

JJW009 wrote:

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:24 pm
Profile WWW

Fogmeister wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

I can learn you what it stands for if you want and then you can have another entry!

It's a programming design pattern that separates the data and the GUI from the logic. :D

And I still can't get my head around it. :? :? :?

More reading tomorrow by the looks of it.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:32 pm
What's a life?

I learned today that iphone applications have to have short names.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:35 pm

themcman1 wrote:
Fogmeister wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

And I still can't get my head around it. :? :? :?

More reading tomorrow by the looks of it.

What language are you working in?

JJW009 wrote:

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 191  Next