Reply to topic  [ 2855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 191  Next
The Something New That You Learned Today 
Legend

belchingmatt wrote:
big_D wrote:
Ctrl+Shirft+T re-opens closed tabs in Firefox (does it in the reverse order they were closed).

Thanks for that one, using it already.

+1, cheers :D

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:09 am

Thrown clay pottery can shrink up to 25% when fired.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:09 am
Spends far too much time on here

There is a limit to my patience, and it's surprisingly sudden :roll:

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:16 am

I got I new knowledge today.

Polish people eat a lot of cottage cheese.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:58 pm
What's a life?

Nick wrote:
I got I new knowledge today.

Polish people eat a lot of cottage cheese.

They can get ointment for that. :shock: :lol: :D

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:08 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

I learned that # is hidden behind Option (the weird snake with a hat) and 3 on my Macbook Pro. What a completely stupid, idiotic, counter-intuitive and downright weird decision!

Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:37 pm
Profile WWW

That if I overclock my Compaq's Celeron Dual Core to 2.4ghz (from 1.6), it increases its temperature under full load by 12 degrees. :D

Kimmotalk is where all the cool people hang.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:40 pm

gavomatic57 wrote:
I learned that # is hidden behind Option (the weird snake with a hat) and 3 on my Macbook Pro. What a completely stupid, idiotic, counter-intuitive and downright weird decision!

I had to Google it! :lol:

Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:44 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

gavomatic57 wrote:

It makes some sense, the UK Mac layout doesn't differ much from the US layout, and on the UNIX keyboards I used at Sun (predominately the US layout with a few other changes), # was shift-3. On UK keyboards shift-3 is £, so I guess alt-3 seemed a good decision at the time...?

Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

gavomatic57 wrote:

Not as bad as where you’ll fine the “ ” and ‘ ’

That is (in order)
option + [
shift + option + [
option + ]
shift + option + ]

In fact, I have these off pat now, and my hand defaults to that rather than the key you would expect, which gives me the symbol for inches and feet.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:25 pm

That I like German food (esp Knoedeln)
That I hate most food available in Britain (as opposed to British food)
That WinD'OH!s is crap at letting British users enter umlauts in firefox.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:14 pm

That vaccines are more effective when they're dirty, a pure vaccine that just contains antigens will frequently fail to create enough antibodies to protect you in the future, vaccines are usually made dirtier by adding an adjuvant. Precisely how adjuvants work is still not entirely understood - early on it was discovered that contaminated vaccine batches are often more effective.

The main supplier of the UK flu vaccines is Novartis, and they have patented the MF59 adjuvant, which makes the H1N1 vaccines a milky white (otherwise they would be clear).

My lay person understanding of this is that our immune system deals with the pure antigens too effectively (which prompts the question why we need a vaccine in the first place). Did I mention Novartis's annual turnover? :p I'd like a more scientific explanation for adjuvants if anyone on here knows about them?

Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:26 pm
What's a life?

forquare1 wrote:
gavomatic57 wrote:

It makes some sense, the UK Mac layout doesn't differ much from the US layout, and on the UNIX keyboards I used at Sun (predominately the US layout with a few other changes), # was shift-3. On UK keyboards shift-3 is £, so I guess alt-3 seemed a good decision at the time...?

Having grown up in the 80s with computers coming over from America, the Option-3 is fairly logical, for the reasons you specify.

In Germany, it is unshifted (i.e. has its own key), next to the return key, shifted is the single quote. What really annoys in Germany are the square brackets, they are hidden away on Option, not really a problem, Windows keyboards do the same thing, but they are in a different place AND they aren't marked on the key tops!

On Windows, 8 and 9, with Shift are the normal round brackets ( "( )" )
The [ and ] are AltGr + 8 and 9, fairly logical
The { and } are AltGr + 7 and 0.

On the Apple keyboard, the round brackets are the same., but the square brackets are Option+5 and Option+6 - but the symbols don't appear on the keyboard!
The curly braces are on Option + 8 and 9, fairly logical, but different to Windows, and again, not shown on the keyboard.

The same for the backslash. on Windows, it is AltGr + ß (key to the right of 0 at the top of the keyboard). On the Apple, it is Option+Shift+7, but not shown on the keyboard!

The German Apple keyboard is really programmer unfriendly! The normal German keyboard is bad enough, but Apple seem to make the keyboard deliberately hostile to programmers, by not only having the keys in awkward places, but also not listing them anywhere!

Edit: The thing I learned today: The iPod Touch battery will last for several days of normal use, but turn on the Wi-Fi and it drops to a couple of hours!

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:28 am
Profile ICQ

Today I learned that every one eat's at the same time 120 cutomer's and one small oven ,give me a computer problem any day . :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ;)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming...
Damn, What a ride!!

Last edited by lacloss on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:40 pm

That ECS 321 based laptops don't like running overclocked for long. :)

I have one thats basically scrap (just a motherboard as the chassis and screen got damaged) and I tried to OC it using Systool. The pentium m went from 1.7 ghz - 2ghz before all teh fans came on blazing and it turned off. Now it wont do anything. :(

Kimmotalk is where all the cool people hang.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 191  Next