Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Sky Broadband 
Doesn't have much of a life

Couldn't think of anywhere more relevant to ask this, so here goes.
Anyone using Sky Broadband? They're really cheap, but I wonder if there is a reason for that??

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:04 pm
Profile WWW

It's very limited still; I've been waiting for almost 2 years to get it in my area. All they offer at the moment is the standard stuff via BT line (which next door have and it's shockingly shiyt and unreliable). As for the performance I'm still waiting to meet someone with it to ask.

But your right it does look cheap

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:09 pm
Spends far too much time on here

It's only cheap if you already use them for telly though.

My mate has it and it's really fast but he lives in the exchange. It's the age old problem. As for reliability, I've never heard him complaining so I assume it's good. He's the technical type so he probably would have mentioned something if it was slow or they were throttling him etc

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:15 pm
Has a life

We've had no problems with Sky Broadband so far and dealings with customer support have always been good. Sadly where I live has very old lines and so the speed is somewhat slow :(.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:23 pm

I am on sky, mid plan. Very reliable service, stable speeds 3200/330, pings are never bellow 60ms which sucks if you game. They don't throttle torrents and never complained about me downloading too much. I must have done at least 500gb in march alone. 8-)

They give you wireless router (sagem I think) with 4 ports, I managed to portforward my utorrent, firewall is flexible, you can hide and/or turn off wifi. I set up a network on it between my desktop my laptop.

For a basic and medium usage it is good value for money, don't get it if you game. Customer service is not bad.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:02 pm

Am also with Sky on the £5 a month (Up to 8Mbps, 40GB cap)..... speeds are fine, i got quoted a rough maximum of 4.5Mbps for my area and i consistently hit that speed or higher.

I'm pretty sure i've gone over my limit quite a few times but they haven't complained (yet)... also i know a few months ago the gadget show did a report saying that Sky are the only ones with a "proper" Unlimited download service without any catches or fair usage policy, not sure if other providers have copied them htough.

The router given is a Sky Exclusive Netgear DG934 with wireless, 2 LAN ports (and 2 "reserved" for "features we are planning to implement in the future" which kind of sucks when you need multiple things by the router), the router setup page seems easy enough to use and i'm quite noob with it, have managed to setup a port forward for Xbox Live and uTorrent succesfully.

@ Koli - I've heard for gaming you need to ring them up and ask to be transferred to a different type of line for gaming and after that you get much better results, the link i'm thinking of is on the old forums but obviously not accessible now... i'll try find it for you.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:52 pm
Spends far too much time on here

Got sky, pay £50ish for sky with sky sports and internet and phone rental a month

Get around 7-8mb speeds, not been capped etc yet, cant really complain

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:56 pm

@ Koli

Found the thread i was looking for:

clicky

Seems You need to contact Tier 3 of Support and tell them that you are using your line for gaming and request that your max delay levels to be decreased.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:02 pm

vdbswong wrote:
Seems You need to contact Tier 3 of Support and tell them that you are using your line for gaming and request that your max delay levels to be decreased.

Excellent find, thank you for that :D

Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]