This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Default template suggestions 
Site Admin

Can't we use this theme?
Will suit JV :lol:

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

saspro wrote:
Can't we use this theme?
Will suit JV :lol:

:shock: WOW shall I add it to the list ;)

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:17 pm
Profile WWW

timark_uk wrote:
I have subsilver2 as my forum setting and I'm really happy with it.

I agree with what Blue and Mark said.

I checked out some of the linked suggestions, and the only thing I liked was that you could collapse the sections to show more below.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:25 pm
Spends far too much time on here

I'd just like a default theme that clearly defines individual posts in a thread, ideally with the persons avatar and etc on the left, and otherwise leave it just as it is. Any likelihood of that?

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:35 pm
Site Admin

Zippy wrote:
I'd just like a default theme that clearly defines individual posts in a thread, ideally with the persons avatar and etc on the left, and otherwise leave it just as it is. Any likelihood of that?

It could well be, that's what this discussion is all about. No point in spending time and effort doing something new if most people would be happy with some tweaks.

That's why I asked so the more comment the merrier. :D

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

Zippy wrote:

That's pretty much what we got already darl'n.

Personally, I like a darker theme, with brighter writing, bright screens kil my eyes, I have to turn the brightness down like to 30% most days. 60& on a good day.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:43 pm

I'm loving the Aero Blue one, however it's obvard very windowsy. Might put off potential Mac enthusiasts if it's default.

As far as default scheme goes, I think we just need something that will look professional whilst not being daunting. Neutral colours, such as different shades of greys, and important names and threads in red. Black writing.

As far as layout goes, separating categories is also another great idea, but the way that the Gaia forums do it seems a little too disjointed for such a small community. May also be a problem for people viewing on low-res screens as there'll be a lot of scrolling involved. I think that the ign boards are awful, and not welcoming to new users. The Diablo forums seem very well organised, especially with the lists of subforums (subforums aren't always obvious to new members). The bodybuilding forum looks the most professional of the lot, however as a tech community I feel that we need to have something a little more advanced than a basic forum layout.

And if anyone doesn't like it once it's default then surely the can just change it? Having a few good options (as we do now) will satisfy most people I think. Assuming we're keeping the option to have choice....?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

bish wrote:
Zippy wrote:

That's pretty much what we got already darl'n.

Personally, I like a darker theme, with brighter writing, bright screens kil my eyes, I have to turn the brightness down like to 30% most days. 60& on a good day.

I like what we have already, as a default it's very easy on the eyes, not too extreme and won't scare anyone off, I could even live with the avatar stuff on the right now that I'm used to it, but if there's too much contrast between the background and the lettering I will just have non-stop migraines.

Alun, I know we're currently discussing the "default" but I wondered will there be a range so that we can individually choose the one we like the best?

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:48 pm

HeatherKay wrote:
timark_uk wrote:
I have subsilver2 as my forum setting and I'm really happy with it.

I agree with what Blue and Mark said.

I checked out some of the linked suggestions, and the only thing I liked was that you could collapse the sections to show more below.

+1

Gaming's Elder Statesman & Evil Consultant

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:48 pm
Has a life

i like the bodybuilders ooops i meant the gay one ooops again,sorry gaia one :D
cheers spunky

Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:44 pm

Zippy wrote:
Alun, I know we're currently discussing the "default" but I wondered will there be a range so that we can individually choose the one we like the best?

Totally agree with Zippy on this one.

With the logo competiton at full pelt, and users very much involved in the interface.

To me the solution seems obvious.

For the default, I'd use the 1st place logo, with grey shades, black and white. Visitors need something simple yet pleasent, so the greys will be easy on the eye.

As for the users choosing their own scheme.

You can use the logo with diffrent colour schemes, like I have an idea in my head for the logo, and theres a bit there that I'd be ablew to change the colour, so the background and threads match.

That way users can change to their own preferences, and visitors have a simple default template to get on with.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:51 pm
Site Admin

Zippy wrote:

I'm certainly not aware of there being any plans to stop you choosing from a list. I think ( notice the think ) that this is about coming up with the template (s) that people are happy with rather than doing loads of ad hock changes.

I really don't think the team want to do anything that we all don't want, lets face it its the exact opposite we are trying to provide an environment where everybody is happy.

If it turns out that all we need to do is make the users details to be on the left on all templates and maybe tweak the contrasts a little then great.

That's why I'm asking the question what do you folks want. :D

Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

I like the current prosilver look too, the location of everything seems intuitive and easy to use.

The colours are alright, although a bit more definition between posts, so you can see seperate posts would be good.

And I would find it much easier if avatars, that little box was on the left instead of the right.

Apart from that I don't think it needs much else doing, too flashy, and it usually makes it take longer to do something.

I say KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), :D , always works, nice simple to use layout, with no silly fancy flashy rubbish.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:18 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

My favourite of the current options is the 4Poziom theme.

As long as you can tell the difference between the posts and the profile bar is on the left hand side of the posts then I'm not too fussed.

Oh and same as JV, some subtle colours so that when I'm online at work people can't see that it's obviously a forum.

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Can we have different options rather than a default?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:58 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next