Reply to topic  [ 4975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322 ... 332  Next
Random $h!t Thread - Part VI 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Also... Dr Pepper give me hiccups. I have no idea why and no other fizzy soft drink does but Dr Pepper does every single time. Bizzare.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:20 pm
Profile WWW

veato wrote:
Also... Dr Pepper give me hiccups. I have no idea why and no other fizzy soft drink does but Dr Pepper does every single time. Bizzare.

I like Dr Pepper. Tastes like Coke mixed with cough medicine. Irn Bru I tried once. Disgusting!

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:01 pm
What's a life?

I have a cold. I can manage with most of the symptoms but I've always struggled with a blocked nose. Sudafed works but makes my nose feel raw, and the nondrowsy version (caffeine) stops me from sleeping. So I've been in bed today watching netflix and youtube.

But the highlight has been discovering Rollercoaster Tycoon for iOS.

Mon May 01, 2017 4:05 pm
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I have a cold. I can manage with most of the symptoms but I've always struggled with a blocked nose. Sudafed works but makes my nose feel raw, and the nondrowsy version (caffeine) stops me from sleeping. So I've been in bed today watching netflix and youtube.

But the highlight has been discovering Rollercoaster Tycoon for iOS.

Vicks First Defence mate, more people should know about it! Kills the symptoms stone dead IME. Bloke in work always banged on about it, and when did any cold fix ever work? Except this one prevents and even works after the fact. Again, IME.

Also IME, women will gurn 'it doesn't work for me!'. Try actually firing it into the back of your nostril :roll:

Also ('not pleasant' warning), I let it sit in my nose for a few moments and then snort it into my throat, which seems to kill off any throat sh1te where most of my colds start.

I can't recommend it enough, just make sure it hits the back lol!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon May 01, 2017 4:17 pm
What's a life?

I picked up a nasal spray (otrivine), which has been more useful than sudafed tablets. I tried Vicks First Defence once, years ago and it didn't work so i abandoned it. Will look at giving it another go next time.

Mon May 01, 2017 4:56 pm
What's a life?

There used to be a What are you listening to thread, whereby we all posted what songs/albums we were listening to. I can't seem to find it.

Mon May 08, 2017 10:16 am

cloaked_wolf wrote:
There used to be a What are you listening to thread, whereby we all posted what songs/albums we were listening to. I can't seem to find it.

You mean this thread?

Mon May 08, 2017 10:45 am
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
cloaked_wolf wrote:

You mean this thread?

Yes. Thanks. GOK why I couldn't find it. Even went through sorting threads by number of replies and still couldn't see it.

Mon May 08, 2017 11:04 am
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:
cloaked_wolf wrote:

You mean this thread?

Yes. Thanks. GOK why I couldn't find it. Even went through sorting threads by number of replies and still couldn't see it.

Only for Firefox I'd never find/spot threads.

Mon May 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Interesting support query e-mailed in to the service desk mailbox just now :

I am an elderly woman. I rely upon the patron computers at my local public library to do my work. For years I used OpenOffice everyday to do my word processing. Now the library has installed LibreOffice. I opened a USB document (which only yesterday was saved in OpenOffice Writer) in LibreOffice Writer to see what the differences might be. It appeared to me much the same. However, the one apparent difference was that my document (which is many pages in length) shows two pages at a time on the screen rather than the single page which I like to see.

I clicked on "View," then clicked on "Zoom." Under "View Layout," the circle beside "Automatic" was ticked. Directly under this is another circle marked "Single Page." I went ahead and clicked on this lower circle, which then moved the tick mark from "Automatic" (two pages on the screen) to "Single Page" and thus converted the screen view to a single page. Presto! I thought I was in business, all set to begin working on my word processing document again.

The first thing I then did was to click on "Word Count." The "Word Count" showed 74, 262 words contained in my document. But I remembered that that was NOT the word count for my document when I ended my work (in OpenOffice Writer) yesterday. Fortunately, I keep a back-up USB, which I always copy my document to. I opened the file on this back-up USB with LibreOffice Writer, while still displaying the "Automatic" two-page screen view. (In other words, I hadn't yet converted the document to "Single Page" on this back-up USB file.) The "Word Count" was 74,927 words in the file on this back-up USB, which is the exact numerical word count I remembered finishing my work (in OpenOffice Writer) yesterday. So what happened when I switched my primary USB from "Automatic" (two-page screen view) to "Single Page" (one-page screen view)? How did I lose 665 words when I did no typing at all???

Included in the LibreOffice Writer "Word Count" function is a numerical tally of the "Characters Including Spaces." Very strangely, this numeral tally is 408,156 character spaces for the same document on both my primary USB and my back-up USB. In brief, I switched my primary USB from two-page screen view to one-page screen view and mysteriously lost 665 words, but did not lose any of the cumulative character spaces. Do you follow me?

To be cautious, I then saved this document of mine from the file on my back-up USB to a new file, also on my back-up USB, again without doing any typing or making any changes to the document at all. Again the "Word Count" (on this new file) dropped from 74,927 to 74, 262 words, a reduction of 665 words again. And again the cumulative character spaces remained consistent at 408, 156 in BOTH files.

I am worried about how I should proceed. I ask myself, "Has my document been altered because the word count is lower in LibreOffice than OpenOffice, or is the document still the same despite the discrepancy in word count?" Since the document is 182 pages in length, I cannot simply read through it to determine the answer to this question. I have no idea where to look online to discover whether OpenOffice Writer and LibreOffice Writer have different methods of calculating their "Word Count" totals. Can you assist me?

Many kind thanks!

Best regards,

It came from a hotmail address, with no indication that they were an employee of any sort of any contract that we support here. I even checked their name in the AD for the main contract we support that would likely get a request like this sent to us - no items matched that search.
So no, I shan't be responding to this, but it's one of the better e-mail support requests we've had mailed to us, so I thought I'd share it.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Wed May 17, 2017 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

Curious in every sense!

Wed May 17, 2017 7:37 pm
What's a life?

At a guess, when LibreOffice imports/opens the OpenOffice document, it converts it to the current format and probably "cleans" it up - removes trailling spaces from paragraphs, for example or similar tasks. That would probably only occur after the document is saved.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu May 18, 2017 7:13 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

You wouldn't think that would affect the word count though, unless Word counts two spaces effectively as space-word-space.

Thu May 18, 2017 9:55 am
What's a life?

jonbwfc wrote:
You wouldn't think that would affect the word count though, unless Word counts two spaces effectively as space-word-space.

That would be my guess.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu May 18, 2017 12:41 pm
Profile ICQ

Another spammy e-mail into the Support Desk mailbox this evening :
"Gold On Sale

Hello Dear,
It is our utmost delight to approach you with this composition. We are a Gold Mining Company based in Ghana West Africa, and we are interested in contacting you for business transactions/partnership.
Our company started it's operation for the past 6 years and had being doing very well without any debt.
We have in stock, 24 Carats Gold, with 96.69% purity.
We will be very happy if you can be our business partner in your country whereby we shall send you some kilograms of our Gold product to sell under a PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT.
We shall run transaction under Partnership agreement, and you will receive your percentage in all sales made by you in your Country.
We can deliver our Gold product to you at the cost of $25,000.00 (Twenty five thousand Dollars) per kilograms, and you can sell in your Country based on current Gold World Market price, which is within $39,000.00 (Thirty nine thousand Dollars) to $40,000.00 (Forty thousand Dollars) per Kilogram.
We are ready to start transaction with you, and we can deliver to you about 200 kilograms.
Looking forward to hear from you directly at salesgold@XXXXXXX
Mr. Francis Kwame
(Sales Manager)
Email: salesgold@XXXXXXX"

There you go, if anyone would like to invest some spare cash, get in contact with me and I'll pass along the full contact details - which were edited in the above quote by me.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322 ... 332  Next