Reply to topic  [ 4975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327 ... 332  Next
Random $h!t Thread - Part VI 
What's a life?

That was brave... If you were putting the drive in to make a backup, I would have made the backup first, then flashed the BIOS; just to be on the safe side.

Static shocking these days is fairly rare and as long as you touch something earthed before hand (like a radiator, or a metal PC housing, whilst it is still connected to the mains), you are generally OK.

I've built and repaired/upgraded hundreds of PCs over the years and never had a single problem.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:30 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

big_D wrote:
That was brave... If you were putting the drive in to make a backup, I would have made the backup first, then flashed the BIOS; just to be on the safe side.

Static shocking these days is fairly rare and as long as you touch something earthed before hand (like a radiator, or a metal PC housing, whilst it is still connected to the mains), you are generally OK.

I've built and repaired/upgraded hundreds of PCs over the years and never had a single problem.

Oh I had a backup on an external drive anyway before I flashed the BIOS.
The objective is to have multiple backups so I can rotate them and have a fallback in case a drive fails. :)

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:45 am
What's a life?

I've flashed mobos before back when the only way to know how was to use the manual that came with the computer (back when internet access was still 56K).

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:10 am

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I've flashed mobos before back when the only way to know how was to use the manual that came with the computer (back when internet access was still 56K).

I had read the manual. The instructions were perfectly clear.
What wasn't clear was what would happen once the update was applied - it doesn't mention for example how many times it will restart or that it won't boot back into Windows until you've checked your settings. To me that would seem like useful information to include - it would be very easy to conclude that the multiple restarts meant it was stuck in a loop for example.

I gather the latest Asus mobos have a more recent utility than mine that will actually download the most recent bios file from the internet and apply it from within the BIOS itself.
Things have certainly moved on a lot since 56k modems were a thing.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:02 am
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
It doesn't mention for example how many times it will restart or that it won't boot back into Windows until you've checked your settings. To me that would seem like useful information to include - it would be very easy to conclude that the multiple restarts meant it was stuck in a loop for example.

Interesting. Didn't realise it would do that and certainly not experienced anything.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:20 am

cloaked_wolf wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:
It doesn't mention for example how many times it will restart or that it won't boot back into Windows until you've checked your settings. To me that would seem like useful information to include - it would be very easy to conclude that the multiple restarts meant it was stuck in a loop for example.

Interesting. Didn't realise it would do that and certainly not experienced anything.

I assume it's because installing the update resets the bios settings to default so they prompt you to check and change back to what you were running before. I had to re-enable the XMP profile for my memory for example.
But yeah, the multiple restarts thing would have worried me if I hadn't seen this was normal behaviour (at least for Asus Z97 boards).

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:25 am

Saw this on FB

Now look, I hate to tell you this....

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:55 pm

PIE!
Read this and thought of here.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:22 pm

So the time has come to renew my passport.
Anywho, I have tried the online renewal service. Seems very straightforward... so far.
They won't start processing your application until you send your existing passport back - the place I have to send it to is Northminster in Peterborough. I could literally walk there from my house and hand deliver it.
I'm still going to post it though, don't want to give them any excuses to say I hadn't followed the instructions - it's not like they've got a sense of humour about these things. :roll:

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:24 am
What's a life?

I remember having to update my mum's passport a few years ago and we ended up going to Peterborough, spending the day there and collecting it at 4pm. I updated my own passport a couple of years ago and did it through the Post Office's service.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:50 am

Crazy week last week. Stupid amounts of snow deposited on the floor just in time to drive to Luton airport and window wiper snapped before I could set off. No chance to obtain another at 8am on a Sunday morning so took the sister-in-laws car. Was touch and go then as to whether we would even fly the following day but we did and by all accounts had a great time in Disneyland Paris.

Now back home with a week before the Xmas madness starts!

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Waiting for my new PC to be delivered...

Ordered a Ryzen 7 1700, 32GB, 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD to play with Hyper-V.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:19 am
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
Waiting for my new PC to be delivered...

Ordered a Ryzen 7 1700, 32GB, 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD to play with Hyper-V.

Sounds good. Will you be overclocking (or is it already)?

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:40 am
What's a life?

No, I probably won't be overclocking. It should be fast enough as it is and I need the cores more than raw power.

Edit: It has arrived and works nicely, fairly quiet. It had booted before I could select HDMI input on the monitor!

Currently updating to Fall Creators Update. Very pleased so far. Just waiting for the Bluetooth dongle to arrive, then I can pair it with my keyboard and mouse of choice (MS Surface keyboard and Logitech MX Masters 2S).

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:05 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

And, the Bluetooth adapter arrived and it was "installed" and running in under 1 second! No drivers etc. Windows just recognized it and offered to connect BT devices in the area!

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:46 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 4975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327 ... 332  Next