Reply to topic  [ 1053 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 71  Next
What book(s) are you reading or looking forward to? 

pcernie wrote:
My two favourite options are the library and phoning the local charity shops/second hand book sellers, as you often get people coming in with entire collections :D

I have done the library route, but I prefer to own a book when I can. Equally, there's something nice about being the first person to crack the spine of a new copy. There aren't any charity shops in easy reach of where I live, so that's not an option at the mo, but it's worth bearing in mind for when we're away and gadding about.

I can afford the paperbacks when they're under a fiver. I buy one a month or so, cash-flow permitting. I also read them several times through. In the case of the Douglas Adams and Tolkien books, many many times through.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:51 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

The only books I get to read these days are technical manuals and user guides :roll:

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

The myth's of security (The new O'Reilly one), got if free when I went to O'Reillys on a proactive visit.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:13 am
Profile WWW
Legend

Paul1965 wrote:
pcernie wrote:
Out of curiosity, how long or short are the stories?

There's 39 stories in 791 pages which averages out at 19 pages each.

Thanks for that, I might check that out at some point as I don't read much sci-fi outside graphic novels but would like to expand :D

Zippy wrote:
Just lately I've been really wanting to read "1984."

I'm gonna have to get that from the library I reckon...

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Having read twice 'The Chronicles of Conan'

I have that! Essentially got it for free cos the cover was ripped, complained to the Amazon seller and got a full refund :D

HeatherKay wrote:
pcernie wrote:
My two favourite options are the library and phoning the local charity shops/second hand book sellers, as you often get people coming in with entire collections :D

I have done the library route, but I prefer to own a book when I can. Equally, there's something nice about being the first person to crack the spine of a new copy. There aren't any charity shops in easy reach of where I live, so that's not an option at the mo, but it's worth bearing in mind for when we're away and gadding about.

I can afford the paperbacks when they're under a fiver. I buy one a month or so, cash-flow permitting. I also read them several times through. In the case of the Douglas Adams and Tolkien books, many many times through.

Know what you mean, if nothing else I often have to keep renewing books at the library :oops:

You should be pleasantly surprised by the charity shops, some will let you walk away with three of the latest books for a £1 or a £1.50 :D

I've probably got enough books to last me a lifetime as it is, so I never pay the RRP on any of 'em, and prefer to get them second hand as a result :)

I forgot to mention I'm also reading The Doomsday Prophecy by Scott Mariani in work. It's supposed to be Dan Brown-style but I've never read any of his stuff beyond a few pages, so I've no idea. Seems fast paced and coherent though:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doomsday-Prophe ... 775&sr=1-1

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:50 am
Occasionally has a life

HeatherKay wrote:
I've just finished the fourth book of Raymond Feist's Serpentwar saga.

I need to gather some pennies to start on the next set of his books.

Cracking stuff aint it :D

Rather fond of them and just keep re-reading them :D

Last book i read was Fatal Revenant (The Last Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant) by Stephen Donaldson.An author i have always enjoyed reading,just have to wait for the old git to finish the next instalment :lol:

yours wecrookie :shock:

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 pm

wecrookie wrote:

Oh yes. Definitely.

I want to finish the Midkemia sagas, then go back and do the Kelewan series. I think I still prefer Magician out of all of them.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:37 pm
Occasionally has a life

HeatherKay wrote:
wecrookie wrote:

Oh yes. Definitely.

I want to finish the Midkemia sagas, then go back and do the Kelewan series. I think I still prefer Magician out of all of them.

If I've read that once I've read it a thousand times.It's soooooooo goooooood :D

yours wecrookie :shock:

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:43 pm

I re-reading my way through David Webers Honor Harrington books (up to War of Honor at the moment).

I really should try and get through all the original Dune series. I like the first one and have read all the prequels produced by Herberts son.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:24 pm
Spends far too much time on here

davrosG5 wrote:
I re-reading my way through David Webers Honor Harrington books (up to War of Honor at the moment).

I really should try and get through all the original Dune series. I like the first one and have read all the prequels produced by Herberts son.

I'm trying to get hold of the Honor Harringtons I gave my dad for Xmas many moons ago, he's put them away somewhere and (in true old man fashion) now can't remember where :roll: I really enjoyed them all, and I reckon my Mister would too, but I've got to lay my hands on them first... :D

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:02 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Shadow of the wind.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming...
Damn, What a ride!!

Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:38 am

I thought I posted on this already but cant see it :? Never mind.

I have been reading Discworld for some time but had a break to read Conn Igguldens Emporer series. They're brilliant books. First one was slow but after that it was full steam ahead. Now they're finished I'm reading Mark Billingham, the DI Thorne books. Its not normally my thing but the missus bought one for me randomly and I really enjoyed it.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:48 am
Profile WWW

I've been re-reading my Arthur Ransome books. Just finished 'Winter Holiday' last night.

A Mac User.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:17 am
Doesn't have much of a life

Location: 3959 miles from the centre of the Earth - give or take a bit
Tom Clancy - The Bear and the Dragon

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:50 pm

Just re-started an old favourite, Dennis McKiernans Mithgar series, particularly the Hels Crucible duology, the first of which (Into the Forge) I have just started. Love these books with a passion.

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:37 pm

Ian Rankin's "The Watchman"

Before that, I'd just re-read "quite ugly one morning" by Christopher Brookmyre

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1053 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 71  Next