Reply to topic  [ 1053 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
What book(s) are you reading or looking forward to? 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

cloaked_wolf wrote:
cloaked_wolf wrote:
Just spotted on Amazon that Jack Reacher #22 is out now.

Meh. Probably the second worse Reacher story. Some interesting bits. Lots of boring bits. The action was light. Not up to the usual standards. Personal was the worst one IMO. I've enjoyed all of the main Reacher books apart from these two.

That's a shame, they've been getting back on track lately. Time for Jack to bite the bullet? I've liked most of the books but all of the ones which are set in the past have been poor. I guess the glory days of Bad Luck And Trouble or The Persuader are long gone...

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:43 pm
What's a life?

Currently reading Qualityland from Mark Uwe Kling. Absolutely hilarious.

This is another distopian view of the future of technology conglomorates, like The Circle, Daemon etc. But this time with a lot of humour. It is also available in two versions, the light version and the dark version - the difference is the "adverts" between chapters. But the readers of one book can find the adverts for the other on the website.

The story is very well thougth out and absolutely hilarious.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:52 am
Profile ICQ

Having listened to an In Our Time discussion on Herman Melville's 'classic' Moby Dick, I decided to give it a go. I'm about 15% through it and it is very hard going. Melvyn Bragg had mentioned all the digressions the story takes but this book takes the (sea) biscuit. Chapters about the meaning of the Jonah and the Whale story, and pages full of quotes about the Leviathan in history only detract from the story. I've only just got past the narrator signing on as a sailor aboard Ahab's ship. I'll see if it improves once the voyage begins but the book is so full of (to my mind) irrelevant detail that I might have to pull the plug early.

I have just finished the latest Reacher book as mentioned a few posts earlier and thought it became very run-of-the-mill after a reasonably interesting start. The story is OK but for a supposed thriller there is very little action in it.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:32 pm
What's a life?

Just finished Hologrammatica, an excellent sci-to book on a future with holograms, AI, missing persons and body swapping.

I'm now reading Mirror, which is the story of AI virtual assistants run wild.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:29 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Currently reading the first of the St. Mary's series, amusing in places, but not a riot. It is written well, the language is at times a little simple, but it really gets you hooked up in the action. One of the best page turners I've read in ages.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:44 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Finished the first book, now onto the second. Gruesome start, really atmospheric. Certainly not highbrow or award winning, but great fun to read. There are 8 books in total, plus some short stories, which I now have as audio books (1€ each). Really enjoying it.

Just finished Devil's Fruit from Tom Hillebrand, very good. The first in the Xavier Kieffer series.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:45 am
Profile ICQ
Doesn't have much of a life

Just finished the latest Dresden Files book - "Brief Cases" a collection of short stories set in the Dresden Files universe.

Most of my favourite authors seem to have gone silent. The next "Rivers Of London" book won't be out until the end of this year as the author has got himself side-tracked with graphic novels. Matt Ruff is busy turning his last book "Lovecraft Country" into a TV show, and Tom Robbins appears to have given up writing altogether it being 9 years since his last book and 15 since his last full-length novel.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Timeless (out in September).
I've finally finished the current 31 Drizzt books. Took me a couple of attempts to get past The Pirate King in the middle of the series. That one book was a very hard read.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:31 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Jack Reacher: Past Tense
Two separate plot lines that merge together at the end. Plot twists are obvious. There isn't as much Reacher action as I wanted. I did enjoy it more than Personal.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:29 pm
What's a life?

I finished Jodi Taylor's St. Mary's Chronicles, funny and easy to read.

Went through Nothing Girl and Something Girl, more books for women, but still a fun read for me.

Just started on The Invisible Library series by Genevieve Cogman. Interesting, a mix between St. Mary, Harry Potter and Sliders.

I also really like Dirk Trost's Jan De Fries detective novels, set it East Friesland.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:44 pm
Profile ICQ

Although I have got the latest Reacher book ready to start, I'm currently reading a few books by an author named Laurie King who writes detective stories from the point of view of Sherlock Holmes's wife. Now once one gets past that set-up the books are very good. Though they are not exactly fast-paced (Holmes is about 55 years old and retired, though his wife is about 20) they are well-written books that keep you looking forward to the next one.

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:55 pm
Official forum cat lady

Rebecca Forster came to London recently and I was lucky enough to meet her for a drink. Her husband and son were there too. Amazing family. Her husband is a judge and her son has just graduated Oxford. Can't wait to get over to LA to visit her :D

For those that don't know she's a best selling American author and we've been friends for over a year after we met online.

She's writing a new book in the Josie Bates series because I told her I wanted to know what happens next.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:50 pm
Legend

Sarah Millican's How to be Champion - only started, really funny (I like her humour but get bored with her stand-up, actually), and it's almost a self-help book, but in a good way!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:22 pm

The Physics of Everyday Things: The Extraordinary Science Behind an Ordinary Day

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:22 am
Profile WWW
Legend

Nothing, like an idiot.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 1053 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next