Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
F1 - Jenson Button 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I'm please to see Jenson doing well this season, especially as he's a British driver, but one thing about him always got my back up. Its the way he's so quick to criticise his car. Ok so the Honda was a bit rubbish but every single race he did poorly it was always an issue with the car. After a time it became more of a miserbale moan that he would release anytime a camera was pointed at him.

Obviously now the Brawn is flying he's a happy chappy and I'm thinking I may have been a bit harsh and he was probably right to criticise the Honda. I'd be pretty pi55ed if I was given a poor tool to do my job.

The thing is when he didnt win the last race and didnt make pole this race I'm sure I heard him go on about the car not having the pace again.

I'm not saying he's wrong (although he won in the desert anyway) or that I dont understand I just want him to shut up and get on with it. I never hear a lot of the other drivers moaning like him and cant recall a time when he criticised his own performances.

Your thoughts?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:16 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I thought it was the stock F1 driver response - 'Oh the car didn't have the pace/reliability/was on fire'.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:17 am
Doesn't have much of a life

I think he was a bit surprised at the way Red Bull came at him in China, he was also a bit gutted on Friday and Saturday qualifying for the same reason plus he had Toyota adding their interest.

I must say that this season has started as one of the better seasons for a very long time, with the potential of a hand full of drivers able to win each race.

You are right though and as the professor has already suggested I think it a competitive reaction.

I always blame my racket when I lose a squash match :shock:

Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:48 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I'm enjoying the season so far but think Button will walk it with Red Bull picking up podiums along the way. Toyota seem quick but I dont know if they've got enough to pick wins up consistently. Its going to be interesting to see how Hamilton's car develops as the season goes on too.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:08 pm
Profile WWW

I think it's more to do with a driver keeping pressure on the team to keep improving the car - we've seen the BMW drivers criticising their team quite openly (and I think a little too harshly IMO) on not adding bits to the car fast enough. Though, considering where BMW finished in Bahrain, you can see where the drivers are coming from.

Basically, no driver is never 100% happy with the car - they always think they can eek another tenth of a second here, another 2 tenths there. I've never yet heard a driver say the car was perfect to drive and we can't improve it any further!

Schumaker was another one who was always saying that there was more to get out of the car and that as a team they must work harder. I think as long as the driver acknowledges the team's hard work in getting them to the finish (and hopefully winning) then there's nothing wrong with putting a bit of pressure on the team to keeping pushing. I think Button gets the balance about right, each time he's won he's thanked the team for all their hard work this winter and now he's in a championship-leading situation, he doesn't want it to slide - especially as the other teams are now catching up with Brawn's pace and some of them getting their own double-diffusers added next race.

I agree though, this is the best start to a season I can remember - I like the fact that you tune in and it's not a given that one or two teams will win it. It's much more open this year. We've seen at least 4 or 5 teams that have the potential to win, and not the usual suspects either. And to have the qualifying times between the front row and the back to be separated by about 1.5 seconds is closer than it's ever been - can you remember a few years ago they had the 107% rule whereby the back runners had to set a qually time of no more than 107% of the fastest? I imagine that rule is still in there but we're unlikely to see anyone falling foul of that now. It's great to see everyone so close!

* Witty statement goes here *

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:12 pm

I think it's more to do with a driver keeping pressure on the team to keep improving the car - we've seen the BMW drivers criticising their team quite openly (and I think a little too harshly IMO) on not adding bits to the car fast enough. Though, considering where BMW finished in Bahrain, you can see where the drivers are coming from.

Basically, no driver is never 100% happy with the car - they always think they can eek another tenth of a second here, another 2 tenths there. I've never yet heard a driver say the car was perfect to drive and we can't improve it any further!

Schumaker was another one who was always saying that there was more to get out of the car and that as a team they must work harder. I think as long as the driver acknowledges the team's hard work in getting them to the finish (and hopefully winning) then there's nothing wrong with putting a bit of pressure on the team to keeping pushing. I think Button gets the balance about right, each time he's won he's thanked the team for all their hard work this winter and now he's in a championship-leading situation, he doesn't want it to slide - especially as the other teams are now catching up with Brawn's pace and some of them getting their own double-diffusers added next race.

I agree though, this is the best start to a season I can remember - I like the fact that you tune in and it's not a given that one or two teams will win it. It's much more open this year. We've seen at least 4 or 5 teams that have the potential to win, and not the usual suspects either. And to have the qualifying times between the front row and the back to be separated by about 1.5 seconds is closer than it's ever been - can you remember a few years ago they had the 107% rule whereby the back runners had to set a qually time of no more than 107% of the fastest? I imagine that rule is still in there but we're unlikely to see anyone falling foul of that now. It's great to see everyone so close!

EDIT: Opps, sorry about the double-post, not sure what happened there!

* Witty statement goes here *

Last edited by steve74 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:13 pm
Occasionally has a life

I'm really looking forward to Barcelona.

I wonder what changes will be made to the cars. I guess we'll see in practice and qualifying.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:16 pm

Now that's what I call spamming!

If you'd like me to lose a couple of those posts, let me know. :D

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:16 pm

He's so hot!

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:18 pm
Spends far too much time on here

He used to go to the same beer-holes as us in Frome, he was a bit of a tw@t :(

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:21 pm

Zippy wrote:

Most of the good looking guys are unfortunatly. Still don't stop the one night stands though! ;) Hahaha!

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:24 pm

I don't like Jenson Button.

Irritates me for some reason, and he just looks stupid with that bum-fluff he's got on his chin atm.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Nick wrote:
I don't like Jenson Button.

Irritates me for some reason, and he just looks stupid with that bum-fluff he's got on his chin atm.

Bah your just jealous cause he gets all the girls! :P

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:27 pm

bish wrote:
Zippy wrote:

Most of the good looking guys are unfortunatly. Still don't stop the one night stands though! ;) Hahaha!

It would for me. Can't be doing with stupid arogant people, especially in my bed. Luckily I have a gorgeous bloke who doesn't have an attitude problem so it's all good :)

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:28 pm

Zippy wrote:
Luckily I have a gorgeous bloke who doesn't have an attitude problem so it's all good :)

Yeah me too! :)
JB is still good looking though, but I like all the geeky guys, even though my boyfriend is FAR from a geek.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next