Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Any fitness freaks around? 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Nick wrote:
I'm pretty unfit at the moment, but not desperately overweight ( BMI 23.5 ).

BMI means nothing, it's just a massively imprecise way to tell if you're clinically obese. What you may want to do is calculate your body fat percentage, buy some calipres and look for a guide on google. This is only to get a good guage of how effective your training is being. Or just look in the mirror.

Quote:
Obviously, I'm going to need to be in good physical shape, and to do it I'm trying to devise some sort of diet plan (to control the calories I consume) and obviously doing a load of exercise.

I would have thought that the RAF requires strengh and good cardiovascular fitness? The last thing you should do is cut your calories, food supplies fuel for your training, so instead of calorie counting you want to sort your diet out, replace high-energy carbs like white bread, crisps and pastries with brown rice/brown pasta/oats.

Quote:
So far I've found the 100 press-ups/sit-ups program which looks useful,

No offence but that would be a total waste of time. You need to buy yourself a barbell or get a gym membership somewhere that has FREE WEIGHTS and a SQUAT RACK, ie. not a smith machine and pink dumb bells. With the barbell you want to do squats, deadlifts, bench presses and standing presses. You will also want a chinning bar so you can do chin ups (if there's any excericse where you should do loads of reps its the chin up, bet you can't though! (proper ones with FULLY extended arms on each rep :p)

I suggest this program, as it's simple and VERY effective for a beginner, you'll make all those abs crunch guys look puny. http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5- ... g-program/

Right that's the strength sorted, now cardio.

the barbell training will be 3 times a week, twice a week you should go running, either jogging up and down hills or sprinting on the flat, change the pace throw in some basic free-running like leaping over stone walls etc (i felt really self-concious doing this for a while, now i just throw myself over the locks on the canal and sprint off as the skinny chavs laugh at me, hah, [LIFTED] em, they'd never catch me nowadays, will do wonders for your confidence too ;).) The key with running is don't set boring time trial things, get a heart rate monitor and keep the bpm just on the difficult side of punishing, if you want to sprint, sprint all out, if you want to walk for a bit, go ahead, but sprint up the next hill etc. You can waste your time on treadmills if you want, but it'd be pointless, the rowing machine is a good one though, keep your back straight though and use spot on technique.

Diet is the easy one:

If it used to breathe or grow, eat it. If it's been made by humans, don't. Steak yes, pork pies no. Brown rice yes, crisps no. etc etc. Honestly though as long as it's good food, eat as much of it as you want, don't let yourself go hungry, food is good for you! Good luck!

(you don't need suplliments, but if you must have one, make it concentrated milk or whey protein, get a nice-flavoured shake powder, will help your muscles recover from the barbell training and is a nice reward to spur you on ;) Use my order code MP92230 here for 5% off your first order:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/

Also speak to the guys on that forum, there are some real experts there, very friendly , don't mention to them that you were considering a 100 rep sit up program though ;) :p

You should be getting enough vitamins etc from leaves like spinach/watercress and fruit, so don't spend hundreds on multi-vits etc (unless you're using my code :p)

Good luck with the RAF any way mate, and have fun training :)

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:29 pm
Spends far too much time on here

mars-bar-man wrote:
Have you thought about maybe a martial art? It's not just the whole doing patterns and shouting, it involves quite a bit of fitness as well, give it a look.

Screw martial arts

Muay Thai ;)

I'm not particularly in shape, but BMI is a crock of sh*t which any serious medical person can tell you, it was an attempt to group working/middle class by their weight in relation to the height (by IIRC a belgian) and it didn't fit then

Most 'in shape' actors and celebs are overweight/obese according to the BMI, it only takes into account weight, not muscle mass, fat % etc.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:30 pm
Has a life

i'm not a fitness freak, but i do manage to keep relatively fit by mountain biking. if you have tracks locally its a great way to build up both strength and endurance, as the tracks tend to be quite long (in the regeon of 15miles) and the intensity is constantly changing. While it does focus mainly on your legs, it does strengthen the back, shoulders, wrists and arms considerably. It also keeps the body fat down :)

Also its a great adrenaline rush if the tracks are good, and it can be done with mates or by yourself.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:51 pm

Ooh yeah, I recently went to Cannock chase in Staffordshire and Coed y Brenin in Wales, both awesome biking places.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:57 pm
What's a life?

Nothing else to add, apart from good luck with it.
leeds_manc has it covered, I'd say.
There isn't a great mystery to it, eat well, stay active, don't concentrate on one exercise for too long, and try to maintain a consistent approach to your training.
I've let my 3 times a week slip to 2 if I'm lucky at the moment. :(

Just don't turn into my father, who's constantly measuring his blood pressure and weight.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:24 am

Don't know if this is still relevant, but as someone who knows the Marine Fitness application pretty well and has helped people get fit for RAF/Marine applications I might be of some use.

Give me a PM if you do want any help/pointers with diet or exercise.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:46 am
Profile WWW

Fogmeister wrote:
It sounds boring but stick an iPod on and it soon goes by. (It's also free)

Ooh free iPods? Tell me more! :lol:

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

I think it is important to remember that there should be as little a financial outlay as possible in the early stages so it doesn't sully the enjoyment / benefits of doing "it" - which, if Nick doesn't own a wheeled steed, rules out cycling.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:41 pm

I've got a bike, and use it regularly. I cycle to work and uni which is about 4.5 miles a day, but I don't really use it for enjoyment - more just as a tool to get me from one place to another! :D

Thanks for all the replies, will take a look at the links posted etc and send blue a PM!

:P

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:59 pm
Has a life

I joined the gym bout two weeks back, just got back now from getting my personal fitness programme.

I'm 95Kg, 187cm, BMI=27, so I aint the fittest of guys.

I can honestly say it fantastic, and after just got freelance for the last two weeks, combined with the Volvic challenge ( :wink: ) I feel great!

>> Dave

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:36 pm

1337_h3nd3rs0n wrote:
combined with the Volvic challenge

No. Tell me you're joking. That advert actually works? :o

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:46 pm

1337_h3nd3rs0n wrote:
I joined the gym bout two weeks back, just got back now from getting my personal fitness programme.

I'm 95Kg, 187cm, BMI=27, so I aint the fittest of guys.

I can honestly say it fantastic, and after just got freelance for the last two weeks, combined with the Volvic challenge ( :wink: ) I feel great!

>> Dave
Nice one! :D

I started running about 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it so far!

I just went for another mile and a half today :D I wouldn't have been able to think of running a mile and a half two weeks ago. :lol:

I feel tons better for it also! I'm about the same measurements as you Leet.

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:16 pm
Profile WWW

leeds_manc wrote:
1337_h3nd3rs0n wrote:
combined with the Volvic challenge

No. Tell me you're joking. That advert actually works? :o

I've always been bad at drinking, and normally drink in batches. 2-3 pints at breakfast, then 2-3 pints in the evening which is apparently really bad for your body.

That advert has worked in terms of getting me sorted out, but not in terms of making me buy Volvic. I never buy bottled water unless I'm out on the go. I have a couple of 2 litre pepsi bottles in the fridge which I fill up with water every night.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:14 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Nick wrote:
I've always been bad at drinking, and normally drink in batches. 2-3 pints at breakfast, then 2-3 pints in the evening which is apparently really bad for your body.
We are talking lager here aren't we? :?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:07 pm

snowyweston wrote:
Nick wrote:
We are talking lager here aren't we? :?

Bitter ;)

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2