Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Supermarkets? 

Where do you do the majority of your grocery shopping?
Aldi 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Asda 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Co-op 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Lidl 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Marks and Spencer 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Morrisons 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Sainsburys 27%  27%  [ 11 ]
Tesco 34%  34%  [ 14 ]
Waitrose 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Other (Please state) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 41

Supermarkets? 
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Mainly Morrisons, sometimes Asda, very very rarely, Tesco or Sainsbury.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

Three miles to Tesco and Lidl to mainly shop at the former but get some things at the latter. Aldi is over five miles, Asda over six, Sainsbury's seven so distance plays a big part. When I worked almost next door to Asda I shopped there mainly because it was convenient. It's also rather huge and the stuff isn't necessarily good value so I prefer in general Tesco and Sainsbury of the big chains as their stores here are smaller and quicker and easier to get round. To be honest it really comes down to convenience and distance though.

Richard.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:58 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I find Tesco's layout is much better than Asda's...When I started work down in Surrey I visited a nearby Asda as they were running all the ads on how they were cheaper than Tesco's, but I couldn't find anything...And then I realised why: They had the most retarded layout...Who puts spirits in the same isle as bleach? Or baking stuff with cooked meats?

It rather annoyed me, plus everything was so cheap I ended up going crazy, buying more therefore spending more and then finding I didn't have the time to eat all the ruddy stuff...

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

We shop almost exclusively in Tesco, it's a little way out of town, but I pass it every day on my commute and it's by far cheaper and more convenient than any other shop. We have a Morrisons in Stratford as well, but it doesn't seem to stock many of the kinds of things we buy and there isn't any saving over Tesco. We have a little Sainsbugs in town but it's really expensive so I only ever use it for the odd bit and piece when I'm in town anyway.

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:43 am

I usually go to Asda even though it's 5 minutes further away than Sainsburys, (in the car) because I prefer the range and the staff are more helpful. Also, the parking is easier.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:46 am
Profile WWW

Didn't we do this somewhere else?

I voted Morrisons, because they are where we do most of a weekly shop.

That said, we also use the local Co-op. If you have a Dividend card, you get real money vouchers twice a year, and your membership supports local charities and so on. We stopped doing our main shop there because the in-house franchise bakery got way too expensive, and the management closed down the deli counter. :?

We have an Asda within spitting distance, but I refuse to go there for various reasons. One is it's "part of the Wal-mart family", which is bad ju-ju in itself. Another is they destroyed several good homes to build it and trampled over the local council's request for them not to install a traffic light junction (a request overridden by then Home Office on appeal). Finally, on the one occasion I have been there, I was completely thrown by the excess choice available. I wanted toilet rolls. All I could see was a wall of toilet rolls. In the Co-op (and Morrisons) I can home in on the brand and colour I want, but in Asda I was left standing mouth open.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:49 am

HeatherKay wrote:
Finally, on the one occasion I have been there, I was completely thrown by the excess choice available. I wanted toilet rolls. All I could see was a wall of toilet rolls. In the Co-op (and Morrisons) I can home in on the brand and colour I want, but in Asda I was left standing mouth open.

I was once excessively hormonal when I went into the "Asda WallyWorld" in my parents town. I was looking for a particular kind of drink, I can't even remember what it was now, and I was confronted by shelves upon shelves of all kinds of different drinks in various shaped and sized bottles. The aisle seemed to go on forever and I just stood there staring, until I burst into tears :oops:

A very nice shop person helped me find what I was looking for and opened a till just to get me out of there. I think he thought I was pregnant or something
:lol: I've been in there since and had no problems, but I would never shop in one on a permanent basis.

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:34 am
Has a life

morning all,
i cant believe you didnt add the shop and post office that i own and live in :evil: were not quite along the lines of a supermarket but hey ho.
if i go shopping which is a rarity then i go to asda but thats only because they sell bluray disc's ;)
cheers spunky

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:40 am
What's a life?

Tesco. There is a smalls(ish) Somerfield fairly close, but it’s expensive and a bit rubbish. Handy for some, but the weekly shop costs a lot more there.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:42 am

Waitrose (Occado for Online shopping) mainly otherwise its M&S. Lidle for things like European foodstuffs that the others dont stock.

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:50 am
Occasionally has a life

Either Sainsburys or Tesco. There are certain things I prefer from each store. Neither are close enough to reach without a car.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:59 am
Occasionally has a life

I voted Sainsburys. All we have round here are the small inner city stores, but out of the bunch that are close by, the Sainburys is the best. As I work all over the north of Glasgow, I do sometimes make use of the bigger stores dotted about the suburbs. Its mostly the local Sainsburys though.

Like so many times before and feeling a bead of sweat form on his sun-beaten brow, the dog launched himself upwards, jaws open, full of expectation edged with uncertainty, to retrieve the flying disc from it's azimuth; no dog had done this before.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:00 am
Occasionally has a life

Morrisons best by a mile around here.

Stratford upon Avon and Shirley Tesco are just painful, can't even see you own feet for other people.

Hobgob.

Nietzsche wrote:
Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:33 am

Waitrose for me.

A Mac User.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:44 am
Occasionally has a life

I'm "off" Supermarkets in general, and Tesco in particular. Although my Supermarket of choice is Sainsbury, my nearest ( Tesco aside) is Morrison's.

I now try to source most of my food from local stores, living as I now do in the countryside there are plenty of these in our local town. These are often cheaper than the Supers and the quality (particularly of meat) is generally superior.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next