Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Supermarkets? 

Where do you do the majority of your grocery shopping?
Aldi 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Asda 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Co-op 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Lidl 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Marks and Spencer 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Morrisons 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Sainsburys 27%  27%  [ 11 ]
Tesco 34%  34%  [ 14 ]
Waitrose 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Other (Please state) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 41

Supermarkets? 
Doesn't have much of a life

Just out of interest, where do you do the majority of your grocery shopping?

Unfortunately, these forums only allow ten options per poll, so I have had to miss out some of the shops.

Peter.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:25 pm

It's Morrisons all the way for me. Their fresh produce is far superior to any other supermarket I have experienced and they have some very good offers.

Peter.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:28 pm
Occasionally has a life

Sainsburys. :)

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:30 pm

KRKux wrote:

I can't stand that place.

My local Sainsburys is disgusting and I have vowed never to set foot in it until it has been completely refurbished. It's a shame because I have found some of their own-brand produce to be of very good quality.

Peter.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:31 pm
Occasionally has a life

Sainsburys for me. Mainly because it's closest, but also because our local Asda is just full of chavs. :shock:

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:31 pm
Has a life

We use Sainsbury's, because it's a five minute walk from ours, while we are back in the UK. But we get our fruit & veg from the local greengrocers, fish from the local fishmongers and meat from the butchers. They give better service and are cheaper that the big chains tbh.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:32 pm
Has a life

Sainsbury's for me - it's closest.

When we are away I'm not really bothered which is used, normally the nearest.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:43 pm
Occasionally has a life

pg2114 wrote:
KRKux wrote:

I can't stand that place.

My local Sainsburys is disgusting and I have vowed never to set foot in it until it has been completely refurbished. It's a shame because I have found some of their own-brand produce to be of very good quality.

Peter.

The one we go is nice, its quite modern as well.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Morrisons usually.

Depends where we are usually. Like, if my mum goes into town, it'll be Morrisons. But say if we have to go shopping and we want to go to Blockbuster too, we'll go to Asda because it's closest.

We usually go in Netto for the barguin basement stuff too. :)

Kimmotalk is where all the cool people hang.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:52 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I would say I do equally as much shopping in Lidl, Aldi and Tesco.

It takes an extra hour to do my shopping if I go to all three (because I walk the seven mile round trip (clicky for me about to go shopping)), but I've tried going to just Tesco and I end up paying between £10-£20 more for my shopping, and I don't like some of the Aldi/Lidl stuff so I tend to go to all three.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:56 pm
Profile WWW

Hmmm... i normally do my shopping at either the Sainsbury's Local for conveinience, Iceland for frozen/junk food, and Lidl for veg, cheap stuff.

If i had a car or a choice i'd do my shopping at Tesco's just because i'm used to them from back home (am now at uni).

Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:00 pm

We do some design work for Morrisons, so I kind of feel like I should shop there - if only for market research (ie check out what the opposition are doing for them!). Used to be Asda, but they got too expensive - Morrisons seem to find the balance between decent value and good quality - and I don't just say that cos they pay the bills!

I also go to Aldi occasionally to stock up on the basics, but their fruit and veg isn't that great so end up going elsewhere anyway.

Strange that, as a designer I should respect brands, but as a consumer I have absolutely no brand loyalty whatsoever!
:D

* Witty statement goes here *

Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:16 pm
Spends far too much time on here

Tesco through choice, Asda for convenience (as it's a 20 min walk vs 20 min drive).

Got a Morrisons nearby but they cost more than Tesco or Asda and the quality of their food is pretty crap, found the same when I was in Newcastle.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I'm about 50:50 Tesco:Sainsbury. I voted for Tesco. Over the last two months I've actually been to Sainsbury slightly more often because it's next to the bus stop. when I had a car I would mostly go to Tesco.

By choice I would generally go to Tesco. My local store is huge and sells everything. It's also the cheapest; much cheaper than Morrisons / Asda / Safeway. However, I have noticed that prices vary a lot from store to store. My big one is significantly cheaper than the smaller ones for certain items such as bottled beer and chocolate, but some less popular things such as meat-free burgers are cheaper in the smaller store!

There are certain Sainsbury's own brands which are far superior to anything you can find in Tesco. The two that come to mind are their cat food and Patés. For that reason alone, I would never shop exclusively in one store.

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I used to use Tescos quite a lot, but just recently a proper butcher/deli has opened near me. I find now I'm buying pretty much all my food other than dairy products from there and just getting household stuff from the supermarkets. washing powder, loo rolls, things like that.

It's a little more expensive but not as much as you think and frankly the quality difference is just astonishing. You compare the bread I get from there with the stuff you get from Tescos and it's like chalk and cheese (you can figure out which one's chalk...). And they have award winning pies!

Jon

Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next