Reply to topic  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next
Batman 
What's a life?

Watched the 89 movie yesterday. Had forgotten how stylish it was back in its day. Much preferred this Batmobile. Had forgotten how short Keaton is. He looks like a midget compared to Bale's Batman. J
The Joker was far more mischievious and er "jokey" than Ledger's. Nicholson stole every scene he was in. Was a bit miffed at the Joker killing Wayne' parents instead of Chill and the dead Joker at the end. I always though Batman/Joker would fight for years.

Did anyone else catch it?

Also: any recommended Batman graphic novels/one shots. I love the Dark Knight Returns.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:17 pm
Spends far too much time on here

Didn't watch it this time, but have always loved it. Michael keaton's one of my favourite actors. And Heath ledger, talented as he no doubt was, is not jack Nicholson. The batman franchise got so crap, I think people forgot how good the first two films were.

A Mac User.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:31 pm

tombolt wrote:
Didn't watch it this time, but have always loved it. Michael keaton's one of my favourite actors. And Heath ledger, talented as he no doubt was, is not jack Nicholson. The batman franchise got so crap, I think people forgot how good the first two films were.

Weirdly, I seem to remember Returns a lot clearer than Batman. I was always convinced the section of the park with the bridge where all the little penguins fire their rockets, was the same bridge where Kevin meets the bird lady in Home Alone 2. But I'm going back quite a way!

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:14 am
What's a life?

okenobi wrote:
Weirdly, I seem to remember Returns a lot clearer than Batman.

Me, too, mostly the Michelle Pfieffer bits :oops:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:03 am
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Watched the 89 movie yesterday. Had forgotten how stylish it was back in its day. Much preferred this Batmobile. Had forgotten how short Keaton is. He looks like a midget compared to Bale's Batman. J
The Joker was far more mischievious and er "jokey" than Ledger's. Nicholson stole every scene he was in. Was a bit miffed at the Joker killing Wayne' parents instead of Chill and the dead Joker at the end. I always though Batman/Joker would fight for years.

Did anyone else catch it?

Also: any recommended Batman graphic novels/one shots. I love the Dark Knight Returns.

I love that car :D

I don't mind the Chill factor (heh) cos I hadn't a clue about Batman when I first saw it.

Gns: Arkham Asylum, Dark Victory, Long Halloween, Killing Joke, Knightfall (def. not the best, but useful if you wanna know the character of Bane for the upcoming film).

I like Returns, but it never really felt like a Batman film to me, more like one of Burton's ideas he thought he could crowbar Bats into...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:21 am
What's a life?

I enjoyed the film. I liked the way that Keaton could switch from fragility to strength depending on whether he was being Wayne or Batman. The film looked wonderful too - claustrophobic Art Deco, and it lived in its own world of comic book fantasy. I though the car was stunning - and has yet to be beaten in a Batman film in terms of style.

However, the end really disappointed me. The Joker was killed. He didn’t “get away” either. There was no ambiguity to the characters’ demise either. I really, really didn’t like it. I still don’t. The problem with films like this is that the villain comes to a definite end, and I guess it’s the audience requiring a certain kind of vindictive closure. We didn’t leave the cinema wondering what the Joker may get up to next, or if he’d return. We knew he wouldn’t.

Mind you, in the current Batman series, we know the Joker won’t return, because the actor died. :roll:

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:31 am
Legend

paulzolo wrote:
I enjoyed the film. I liked the way that Keaton could switch from fragility to strength depending on whether he was being Wayne or Batman. The film looked wonderful too - claustrophobic Art Deco, and it lived in its own world of comic book fantasy. I though the car was stunning - and has yet to be beaten in a Batman film in terms of style.

However, the end really disappointed me. The Joker was killed. He didn’t “get away” either. There was no ambiguity to the characters’ demise either. I really, really didn’t like it. I still don’t. The problem with films like this is that the villain comes to a definite end, and I guess it’s the audience requiring a certain kind of vindictive closure. We didn’t leave the cinema wondering what the Joker may get up to next, or if he’d return. We knew he wouldn’t.

Mind you, in the current Batman series, we know the Joker won’t return, because the actor died. :roll:

Believe me, you wouldn't have bought some of the suggestions that brought Jack back for number five (Forever and Robin are supposed to be direct sequels in case you're wondering). Suggestions like him coming back in a cloud of Scarecrow gas, but is he real?! etc.

On the Ledger front, well, would you fancy trying to bring in someone to replace Jack after the first one? Pretty much the same deal for a lot of people who watched TDK, and the current director of the series has ruled it out also.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:31 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

jonbwfc wrote:
okenobi wrote:
Weirdly, I seem to remember Returns a lot clearer than Batman.

Me, too, mostly the Michelle Pfieffer bits :oops:

We all like the Michelle Pfieffer bits.

:D

Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:47 pm

i have the Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher films on DVD, my GF has the Adam West one :D i always thought Nicholson was better than Ledger, no-one at home agrees with me though :(

Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:52 pm
Legend

Batman to be rebooted after The Dark Knight Rises, probably for a Justice League movie

Ben Fritz sat down with top Warner Bros. executive Jeff Robinov for a profile piece that ran Tuesday in the Los Angeles Times business section. Fritz also brought back this Hero Complex report on the future of key DC Comics properties at the studio.

Jeff Robinov is already thinking about DC Comics movies for 2013 and beyond, and he’s got “Justice League” and a reinvented Batman on his mind.

The president of the Warner Bros. motion picture group, who recently sat down for an extensive interview with The Times, discussed his long-term strategy for DC beyond movies already in the works, such as June’s “Green Lantern” and next year’s “The Dark Knight Rises” and Superman movie.

The first priority for the man with the ultimate say on what films get made at Warner Bros.: Finally getting the Justice League, DC’s team featuring all its top characters, on the big screen in 2013. The picture had been very close to production in late 2007 and early 2008, but was killed by the Writers Guild of America strike, tax credit issues in Australia, and concerns by some at Warner about presenting a competing (and conflicting) version of Batman while director Christopher Nolan’s films were breaking box office records.

But Robinov said a new Justice League script is in the works. Also being written for Warner are scripts featuring the Flash and Wonder Woman, who could be spun off into their own movies after Justice League. Though Wonder Woman is also in the works as a television pilot for NBC produced by Warner, Robinov dismissed that as a sticking point. “Wonder Woman could be a film as well, the same way that ‘Superman Returns’ came out while ‘Smallville’ was on,” he said, referring to the 2006 film that put Brandon Routh in the cape and the television show starring Tom Welling that is now in its 10th and final season.

Robinov knows that the most bankable part of his superhero empire has been Nolan and his Gotham City films – the studio has yet to deliver a 21st century superhero blockbuster hit without Nolan in the director’s seat. Batman will continue to be a centerpiece property beyond next year’s “The Dark Knight Rises” and Nolan’s departure from the franchise. “We have the third Batman, but then we’ll have to reinvent Batman…Chris Nolan and [producing partner and wife] Emma Thomas will be producing it, so it will be a conversation with them about what the next phase is.”

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/03/ ... ng-batman/

OK, team Nolan working on future Batman projects should be a good sign, but the Justice League struggles not to be cheesy in comics, and I can't imagine they'd do it without Batman (Supes, Bats and Wonder Woman being the three founding members). Which brings me to the rest of the team...

Presumably they'd want to keep what's already in development/has been mooted; the Green Lantern trailer is bloody awful, Wonder Woman has always struggled as a comic alone, same with The Flash, and the rest? Well, look at them, and Green Arrow and Black Canary are about the only two who wouldn't require seriously good CGI. There was talk of an Arrow film actually (Supermax was the working title, the name of a fictional prison), but it's presumably in development hell.

Short of a miracle and Warner Brothers taking a massive risk and playing it straight, it's hard to see how it'll be anything than an awful merchandising operation, to my mind :?

Thoughts? Oh, and I wonder if 3D will still be in vogue and they'll try to sell it with that? ;)

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:46 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Not interested. Too many characters spoil the ... broth ?! Or something.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:36 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I liked the Justice League cartoons. There was enough bickering between Batman and Superman to keep it interesting. You knew Batman was thinking about bamboo under fingernails at times.

Batman The Brave and the Bold I find dreadful. Far too many super heroes, most of whom I have not heard of before. I also find the drawing style too extreme.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

veato wrote:
Not interested. Too many characters spoil the ... broth ?! Or something.

Just like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:19 pm
Legend

Zack Snyder talks Justice League’s different Superman

“Justice League will be its own thing”

Zack Snyder paced the red carpet this week for the premiere of Sucker Punch, and he took the opportunity to clear up all the Justice League movie talk.

When asked how Warner Bros’ decision to move forward with a League movie affected his Superman, he responded:

“It doesn’t. Like what Chris Nolan is doing and what I’m doing with Superman, what they’ll do with Justice League will be its own thing with its own Batman and own Superman.

“We’ll be over here with our movie and they kinda get to do it twice which is kinda cool.”

Is it cool? Or is it just confusing? Normally studios attempt to keep some sort of continuity when it comes to casting and cross-overs, but it seems the WB aren’t too fussed.

Which sort of smacks of a ‘we can’t be bothered’ attitude. Perhaps they’ve noted how much time and effort it’s taken Marvel to weave all of their properties together with Iron Man, Thor and Captain America all uniting in The Avengers.

But where Marvel’s endeavour is truly ground-breaking and exciting, the WB seem to be taking the easy route. Their hand may have been forced (does Christian Bale want to hang up the Bat-cape after Rises?), but it's still a crying shame.

Source: HeyUGuys

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/zack-snyd ... t-superman

WTF? :o

Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:26 pm
What's a life?

I recall there was supposed to be a series of either novels or animated films that filled the gap between (I think) BB and TDK. Does anyone recall what it was?

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 673 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next