Reply to topic  [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321 ... 334  Next
The Ranting (or Venting) Thread. 
What's a life?

There's not enough doctors in the NHS, particularly GPs. Hunt has promised 5000 GPs but this is not going to materialise. What has Health Education England suggested?
Physician's assistants and physiotherapists could study medicine part-time and become doctors. :roll:

1. A degree in Medicine takes 5 years, 4-4.5 if postgrad.
2. Trying to do that part time would take 2-3x as long. You're looking at 8-10 years before you get results
3. The cost of studying is already expensive with £9000/yr tuition fees
4. Instead of trying to shove more doctors, why not make the system more attractive to reduce attrition rate?

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:55 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

cloaked_wolf wrote:
4. Instead of trying to shove more doctors, why not make the system more attractive to reduce attrition rate?

You would have thought this was quite an obvious step....

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:02 am
What's a life?

Paul1965 wrote:
cloaked_wolf wrote:

You would have thought this was quite an obvious step....

Nothing about the government's health strategy is about doing the obvious because hardly anything about the government's health strategy is actually about making the nation's health better.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:02 pm

Spreadie wrote:
l3v1ck wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:
Loyalty rarely, if ever, pays with these things.

You say that, but Plusnet ring me up annually to see if they can reduce my bill.

Really? As of last month, I've been with them for twenty years and they haven't phoned me once, for anything other than returning a call.

When I was with TalkTalk, they used to phone me at least three times a week, just to make sure that everything was OK.

It reached the stage where I had to tell them that if they phoned me one more time I would leave... I left the next day!

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:59 pm
Profile WWW

This may sound a bit trivial, but I'd like to know what others think. Driving along the road this morning, a delivery van pulled out in front of me a little sharpish IMO. However I then saw a soft drink carton and straw thrown out of the driver's window and into the road. Not much pisses me off as much as casual littering. I did a little delivery work for this driver's company (UPS) a while back and I know the bosses at the depot would be horrified that one of their drivers would blatantly do this from a company van.

I am this close to emailing the company about it, but delivery is a hard job and I wouldn't want someone to be severely reprimanded. Should I ignore it and just accept that the driver is an ignorant bastard, or should I send an email?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:16 pm
What's a life?

Just because the job is hard doesn't give him carté blanche to ignore the rules of the road or litter.

Sometimes pulling out sharply can be an oversight, without knowing the junction and how he pulled out, I don't know if you were difficult to see until he was committed to pulling out or whether he was being cheeky or selfish... But litter is litter, he could leave it in the cab until he had a stop near a waste bin or take it with him at the end of his shift.

That is what I do on a long run. Even if I am in the car for 6 or 8 hours (run from here to Munich) or more (run back to Blighty), I'll collect all my waste in the car until I get to my destination or until I refuel and I'll dump the rubbish in a waste bin. I usually carry an extra plastic bag to collect the waste.

I'd be very tempted to email his bosses. On the other hand, if they give him your name or address, you could be in for aggrevation. I might create a new, non-traceable email address just for reporting him, if your current one has anything identifying in the name.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:24 am
Profile ICQ

9.5 hours from Paignton to Nottingham last Friday. That was bloody painful! My rant isn't even that though, it was the M5 after all and [LIFTED] happens, it's the behaviour of some of the other self-entitled pricks on the road. We're all in a jam, we all need to get somewhere so what in your mind makes you so much more important that you can drive like an utter cock womble?

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:36 am
Profile WWW

Maybe it's just me but I don't get the attraction of sticking RGB lighting on PC components which incidentally pushes up the price.
Yes, well done, you managed to do a nice job laying out the inside of your computer but I really don't care, nor do I have a particular desire to see it strobing away on the desk while it's on.

I do see the benefit of doing a good job on cable management and optimising the air flow to deliver decent cooling to the components but I don't see the need to have it flashing away at me or even, really, to be on constant display at all.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:43 am
Legend

davrosG5 wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I don't get the attraction of sticking RGB lighting on PC components which incidentally pushes up the price.
Yes, well done, you managed to do a nice job laying out the inside of your computer but I really don't care, nor do I have a particular desire to see it strobing away on the desk while it's on.

I do see the benefit of doing a good job on cable management and optimising the air flow to deliver decent cooling to the components but I don't see the need to have it flashing away at me or even, really, to be on constant display at all.

https://youtu.be/Z7gJkyfIBPw

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:22 am

davrosG5 wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I want my PC to work on. If I wanted flashing lights, I'd go to a disco-rama, dag nabbit.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
What kind of hotel sends their staff into someone's room at 06:25?
Assuming it was a member of their staff, but no one else should have a key.
Feckers!

Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:50 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

l3v1ck wrote:
What kind of hotel sends their staff into someone's room at 06:25?
Assuming it was a member of their staff, but no one else should have a key.
Feckers!

What happened?
I've always locked the door in our hotel rooms. We once had someone trying to enter our room whilst we were asleep. Either their key didn't work, in which case we were okay, or it did work, in which case the door chain thing worked (not a chain but a straight bit of metal).

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:04 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
I did lock the door. It was one of those where you can turn the lock handle round a couple of extra times and you can see it locking further. Obviously a key got round that. The door didn't have a chain on. But it did have some weird flick switch that was so small I didn't notice it until I got up the next day.
I complained immediately by phone to reception. When I asked again on checkout they said they'd have to get Maintainence to check the electroic lock logs on my room door to try and find out which key had been used. I doubt I'll ever hear from them about it again.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:43 pm
Profile WWW

Tried to do the garden over the weekend and discovered that both strimmers and the mower are dead. Last time I lend anything to anyone. Ever!

Went onto the Argos website yesterday and ordered a manual cylinder mower, for a little under 40 quid. A few hours later it was at my door. Assembled it last night, and will test it this morning.

At least if that breaks, it's purely mechanical, and that's something I can fix.

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:01 am
Profile WWW
Legend

How did they manage that? Blow the fuses? Cut the cords?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321 ... 334  Next