Reply to topic  [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325 ... 334  Next
The Ranting (or Venting) Thread. 
What's a life?

John_Vella wrote:
Bought a Christmas Tree from B&Q yesterday. Opened the box last night and half the bits are missing. No bolts to hold the base in place and no cable, (it's pre-lit).

I wonder if it's one of those that's been opened and returned for whatever reason. Other times it wasn't packed right from the factory. Either way, a complete ball-ache and having been there with various items, I can sympathise.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:16 am
What's a life?

I really hate people, in general, at times!

Last night some youths went along the street when my step-daughter lives and broke the wing-mirrors off all of the cars in the street! :evil: :roll:

And somebody here in the neighbourhood has been layout out poisoned doggie treats on the pavement! Just how sick can people be? :(

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:26 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
If I saw someone putting out poison for dogs, I'd kick the [LIFTED] out of them.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:21 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

big_D wrote:
I really hate people, in general, at times!

That's utter crap. The wing mirrors is bad enough - that's vandalism. The poisoned dog food? That's just evil.

EDIT:

In other news - we're shortstaffed and senior partners have seen fit to stick in medical students with the trainee, with the locum and with me. Each medical student slot is 30 mins long (20 mins for pt, 10 mins for feedback). Which means there's about 50% fewer appointments for a Monday than there ought to be (this number of appts would be fine on any other day). And guess who has to mop up all the work? Duty doctor. Which happens to be me!

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:29 am
What's a life?

Open source software arrogance...

I'm currently setting up a monitoring system using Icinga 2 and one of the graphing modules that can be used is pnp4nagios. As the name suggests, the module is designed for integration with the Nagios monitoring system. For authentication, is just uses Apache's .htaccess.

On the project's forum, there are many questions about authentication - people want to use the Icinga authentication, or LDAP or RADIUS and they also want to restrict who can view what (E.g. if you have sales and accounting servers, the sales team should just be able to see the stats on their servers).

The developer's reply to the question about restricting access to certain information was, no that's not how this project works.

Asked whether integration with LDAP, RADIUS or Icinga's would be possible, as this would help get his project to a wider audience, the developer replied that he goes give a [LIFTED] what other projects do and if they want to use his project, but if he doesn't care about their authentication methods, .htaccess is what he uses and the person asking the question can [LIFTED] off.

If someone came along and found my project useful, I'd be happy to help them integrate it with another project or provide them with technical information to allow them to do the work for themselves, but a lot of projects seem very parochial and don't want to know about anything outside their current sphere and they aren't very polite about it.

Sometimes this attitude just makes me want to give up on OSS.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:54 am
Profile ICQ
Has a life

Well he sort of has a point.
It IS open source so you can change you own version of it to suit yourself.
I wrote a particularly powerful name and address handler some years ago and it was included in several pieces of commercial software. I had made it available as open source even though the module was compiled for a particular set of machines.
It worked on most machines provided the needed libraries were made available.
One company wanted me to make a fairly large change just to suit them and I refused. They threw a hissing fit and threatened me with all sorts of sanctions and law suits. They eventually paid someone else a considerable amount of money to make their changes, and then had the gall to try and patent the code (which was still 97% my original code). I pointed out to the patent office that it was NOT their original work and the patent office took them to court for trying to patent work that was not theirs in the first place and showed prior use.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:32 pm
What's a life?

It was the arrogance of the answer that got me. He didn't suggest they do it themselves or explain why it wouldn't work or would be a major change, just that it was his project and the user should sod off.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:33 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Cufflinks. The more I spend on them, the crappier they seem to be. When I started working as a GP trainee, I wore shirts with double cuffs and cufflinks. I bought some cheapo ones from Next (set of 3 for £15). I bought some cheapo novelty ones off ebay too (Batman, Transformers, etc). When I started working, I bought some pricier ones eg £30-50. These ones seemed to last a few months and then the post would detach from the button. I got some nice ones from Moss for Christmas and I put on a pair and again - the button fell off this morning.

But my cheapo ones are still solid after eight years.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:20 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

So, yesterday I washed the car. It was parked outside my house.
Very shiny.

Anyway, later in the day I happened to be putting new sheets on my bed which meant I was able to watch some numpty in an Audi A3 fail miserably to park in the bay in front of my car, including giving mine a bit of a nudge when they backed into my car :evil:
At this point they drove off... and tried to park in a bay on the other side of the road a few houses down. They failed here as well, managing to mount the kerb although I don't think they managed to hit the cars on either side that time. After that they went further down the street a 'parked' opposite the T-junction on the street.

Fortunately there doesn't appear to be any damage to my car but I had his number plate written down on the off chance there was.

Some people shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:08 am
What's a life?

Was it an old codger? Where I work, the patients tend to park by touch rather than sight. If we had CCTV pointing towards the carpark, I reckon I could shop a quarter of them to the DVLA.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:24 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Was it an old codger? Where I work, the patients tend to park by touch rather than sight. If we had CCTV pointing towards the carpark, I reckon I could shop a quarter of them to the DVLA.

Nope, young(ish) guy. Probably younger than me.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:43 pm
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
Fortunately there doesn't appear to be any damage to my car but I had his number plate written down on the off chance there was.

Some people shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel.

I'd have reported him anyway.
Technically he's had an accident and failed to provide insurance details.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:15 am
Profile WWW
Has a life

And the police would do yo for wasting their time.
There is no requirement to report accidents to the police unless someone is injured

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:51 pm
What's a life?

Burn_IT wrote:
There is no requirement to report accidents to the police unless someone is injured

Quote:
The Road Traffic Act

Under the Road Traffic Act (1988) the rules are simple.

If you’re driving a motorised vehicle and are involved in an accident which causes damage or injury to another person, vehicle, property or animal, (including dogs, horses, cattle and sheep), you must stop and give your vehicle registration along with your name and address to “anyone with reasonable grounds to be asking for those details”.

In most cases this will be the other driver. And if you’re not the vehicle owner, you should hand over the vehicle owner’s details too.

“If you don’t exchange details at the scene, you must report the incident to the police within 24 hours”, says motoring lawyer Alison Ashworth from Ashworth Motoring Law.

“The problem is there’s often confusion over what people perceive to be an accident," she says.

Ashworth says she sees, “an increasing number of court cases for things like ‘a clipped wing mirror’, which people may not consider as an accident, but if they fail to stop, the penalty can be severe."

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/dr ... r-accident

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:09 pm
What's a life?

Burn_IT wrote:

Nope. You might not have to report an accident to the police, but you do have to provide insurance details to the person you've hit. Not to do so is an offence, therefor it's not wasting police time for reporting someone who's failed to do so.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325 ... 334  Next