Reply to topic  [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323 ... 334  Next
The Ranting (or Venting) Thread. 
What's a life?

Damned Android! I have been running round in circles with this one all day.

A user has all day calendar appointments and in Outlook on Windows, they start at midnight. On his new Android phone, they start at 23:00 on the day before!

I've been running round checking and changing time zones and other settings and generally pulling my hair out, then I noticed one that was correct...

It turns out that all of the incorrect ones are Birthday "appointments" for people over 37 years of age! So that the calendar shows the correct age of the person in the reminder, the user had entered all of his friends dates of birth meticulously in Outlook... They are displayed correctly.

But Android has a bug. Start dates for repeating appointments that start before 1980 slip 1 hour backwards and before 1970 they either don't appear or are 2 hours off...

I wasn't having this problem, but I use Outlook for Android, which seems to keep use its own internal calendar functions.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:43 pm
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Interesting. I'm not sure it's just an Android problem though.
My Outlook contacts data synced with my iPad and the Calendar app there drops everyones birthday back a day as well (they show up correctly in Outlook on my Windows Phone and in the People bit in Outlook on the web).
It's possible it's the way the information is being synced from Outlook that's the problem.

Edit:
A quick google returned a lot of hits (try searching outlook appointments off by 1 hour).

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:52 pm
Legend

Bloody hell, how are we still having such issues in 2017? :o

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:16 pm
What's a life?

Because UNIX and Linux, the base for iOS and Android respectively use the UNIX timing convention, which starts in 1970. It will also "run out of time" in just under 2 decades - the time will roll over back to 1970.

Not sure why the pre-1980 shifts by one hour.

@davrosG5 yes, once I worked out where the problem was and stopped playing with time zones, I started searching for Exchange - Android sync and appointments off by one hour.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:46 am
Profile ICQ
Legend

Recycling...

In my workplace both the ordinary and recycling bin are thrown into one lorry at the same time. This means any recycling is contaminated at source and will further contaminate on arrival, or there's a massive amount of recycling going to landfill. Presumably. You try finding out who is doing nicely out of said material...

At home greasy McDonald's material correctly placed in the black bin is refused by SOME council workers because they assume it should be in the blue bin. In other words, until I ruin the entire purpose of the blue bin and it's contents, I can't get my black bin emptied.

I have a small kitchen that will hold one bin, and it sits out like a sore thumb. Am I really supposed to install a 'black bin' receptacle that I have to continually move? Or just continually unlock the door, padlock, and gate every time I have a greasy box (steady now)? What if you live in a flat with even less space?

I currently have a puppy who has been previously ill/[LIFTED] everywhere as they will. Am I likely to worry what bin that's going into or am I going to double-wrap it at four in the morning and throw it into what is essentially my kitchen recycling bin? Yeah, I'm not going outside at that time when I need to deal with the smell that's in the house before even cleaning up, and then trying to get back to sleep.

Bad enough cutting up Amazon boxes and leaving my kitchen dusty, but I'm supposed to cut off the bits with tape on them and throw them into my imaginary other kitchen bin? Sure, right after I wash out all those Coke receptacles.

RECYCLING - psychologically unlikely at best. Just throw it all in the blue bin...

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:49 pm
What's a life?

One of the local hospitals has tried to bounce back two referrals for suspected cancer. They've asked us to downgrade them to "urgent advice". Any patients referred for suspected cancer must be seen within two weeks. I suspect the hospital is struggling to meet their targets. And by asking us to downgrade the referrals, it reduces their workload. And pushes any blame on to us. We've responded by asking for the consultant's name and GMC number in each case.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:26 am
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
One of the local hospitals has tried to bounce back two referrals for suspected cancer. They've asked us to downgrade them to "urgent advice". Any patients referred for suspected cancer must be seen within two weeks. I suspect the hospital is struggling to meet their targets. And by asking us to downgrade the referrals, it reduces their workload. And pushes any blame on to us. We've responded by asking for the consultant's name and GMC number in each case.

Good, cos that's [LIFTED] scary!

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:51 pm
Has a life

You cannot alter the records or you will expose yourself to all sorts of damage (if not worse) claims. :!:

Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:28 pm
What's a life?

Had to drive to the Agentur für Arbeit this morning (department of employment), 15 minutes of traffic jams and diversions, on top of a normal 20 minute journey... Walked into the appointment 4 minutes early, at 07:56, they had finished updating my details and checking the progress of my job applications by 08:01... So another 30 minutes to get back to the office.

Over a flaming hour for a 5 minute appointment! :evil:

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:22 am
Profile ICQ
Legend

Please, please avoid Amazon Warehouse items - so far I've received

A Funko Pop that's box was so dented the figure was damaged

A steam mop in the wrong box and missing it's accessories

A sensor light with a damaged sensor

It's blatantly obvious that Amazon are trying to offload their returned items by lying about their condition! Everything *I've searched for recently has had a Warehouse offer saying 'Used-like new', and any purchased have been totally unfit for purpose. And they know it too; refunds are issued without proof if you can be bothered to dig through the options to find 'contact us' :evil:

*Other items include an electric shower unit, a central heating programmer, action figures, you name it. Though I didn't purchase those for obvious reasons.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:54 pm
What's a life?

Amazon Warehouse:

Lumia 1020 - damaged box, phone as new, no scratches.
Lumia 620 x 2 - slight scratches on the box, phone as new
Google Nexus 6x x 2 - packaged as new
Sony 50mm lens - packaged as new
Microsoft Surface keyboard - supposedly scratched, therefore half price, no visible scratches on the keyboard, works flawlessly

So far, I've not had a single Warehouse product that has caused problems or wasn't as described.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:52 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Sooo, the Amazon Warehouses in Germany appear to be taking somewhat better care of returned items than ones in Northern Ireland.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 am
Legend

I've bought loads of Warehouse stuff in the past, but because I'm buying loads for the house now it's pretty clear they're just trying to rip people off. The items I've ordered are way too varied and I always go for the 'like new' ones.

Also, many of them are actually 'EU Sarl' in origin!

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:43 am
Officially Mrs saspro

An old cow just shouted abuse at me on the bus. And my first thought was to keep quiet because I was scared if she realised I was foreign it’d get worse. Thanks Brexit

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

TheFrenchun wrote:
An old cow just shouted abuse at me on the bus.

Why? Or was she just confused and/or demented?

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323 ... 334  Next