Reply to topic  [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 334  Next
The Ranting (or Venting) Thread. 

veato wrote:
My definition is easy. If you're not doing the limit then GTFO. ;)

When I took my advanced test, the general motto was the indicated speed was a limit, not a target.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:07 pm

HeatherKay wrote:
the indicated speed was a limit, not a target.
This.
I'm not one to purposefully drive slow, but I do dislike those that drive 40 in a 60 zone and then continue to do 40 in a 30 zone.
Grrr.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
timark_uk wrote:
HeatherKay wrote:
the indicated speed was a limit, not a target.
This.
I'm not one to purposefully drive slow, but I do dislike those that drive 40 in a 60 zone and then continue to do 40 in a 30 zone.
Grrr.

Mark

+1

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

rustybucket wrote:
The question I would ask is where is the cut-off? And what does "excessively" mean? And who decides? :?

Well, in the case of strict legality, the police & courts do. That's their job. The point is there are no good reasons for arbitrary minimums any more than the arbitrary maximums we have but we're stuck with. You should attempt to make 'good progress' provided you stay within the limit of the road you're on and don't provide an obstruction to other road users unless you have no choice in the matter. If I was going to come up with a 'wet finger in the air' figure I'd say you probably shouldn't drive at slower than 80% of the speed limit of the road you're on. So not less than 32 in a 40 zone for example. Again though, the most important factor in the judgement of any police officer should be context. It's not the absolute speed your'e doing (provided you stay under the limit), it's the effect your driving has on the other road users around you and the conditions you're driving in. Anyone doing 40 on a motorway on a clear day needs pulling over. Anyone doing 70 on a motorway in torrential rain with standing water needs sectioning.

Quote:
I don't think the speed is in itself the real issue - surely one can drive like a twunt whatever speed one is doing? ;)

Exactly. You could well summarise the entire mass of road legislation we have with the phrase "Don't be a twunt."

Jon

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:19 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

What is it with all the fancy supermarket bread going by names of speciality and artisan? Just call it bread and rename the normal stuff to cheap tastless [LIFTED].

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:33 pm

cops are ignorant stupid little bits of $hit on a stick who should be cooked for multiple dinners :evil:

that is all :evil:

Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:40 pm
Occasionally has a life

jonbwfc wrote:
While there are no fixed minimum speeds on UK roads...

You don't see them often, but this:-

..is a minimum speed sign. Blackwall tunnel has one, and Dartford tunnel as well, I think. No idea how it's policed though ;)

Pete

Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:14 pm
Spends far too much time on here

brataccas wrote:
cops are ignorant stupid little bits of $hit

Agreed.

brataccas wrote:
should be cooked for multiple dinners

I'm the cream of the crop, I rise to the top
I never eat a pig, coz a pig is a cop.

I'm not really into eating people, irrespective of how much their power trips annoy me.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:15 pm

Bearing in mind the current level of colds and flu, why can't sick people on a bus/train use a handkerchief or at least cover their nose and mouth to avoid coughing and sneezing over everyone else? Or stay at home! Animals.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:47 pm
What's a life?

brataccas wrote:
cops are ignorant stupid little bits of $hit on a stick who should be cooked for multiple dinners :evil:

that is all :evil:

I have to ask.
What happened now?

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:16 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12206639

BBC news aimed at six year olds.
Quote:
"Space chopper": The Smos radiometer makes the satellite look like a helicopter

Now theres a useful bit of news. :roll:
Quote:
There comes a point when the soil can no longer hold anymore water and excess liquid runs off

FFS, really?

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:59 am
Legend

You haven't changed any settings anywhere, but now your new USB device that worked fine for two days has decided it only likes certain ports, and even that's on a whim. Why, in the name of sanity, WHY?! :x

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:28 pm

pcernie wrote:
You haven't changed any settings anywhere, but now your new USB device that worked fine for two days has decided it only likes certain ports, and even that's on a whim. Why, in the name of sanity, WHY?! :x

When that happened to an external HDD of mine, the solution I found was to use the additional power lead. It looks as though the power provided through just one port had dropped below a minimum requirement for the device.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:42 pm
Legend

belchingmatt wrote:
pcernie wrote:

When that happened to an external HDD of mine, the solution I found was to use the additional power lead. It looks as though the power provided through just one port had dropped below a minimum requirement for the device.

That might be it but I'm gonna see how it goes, and I've got an extension lead to try. Which may be handy considering the thing effectively takes up two ports anyway :roll:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:47 pm

pcernie wrote:
That might be it but I'm gonna see how it goes, and I've got an extension lead to try. Which may be handy considering the thing effectively takes up two ports anyway :roll:

Firewire FTW! :lol:

I had a USB thumbdrive complain of insufficient power (actually, it was the computer, not the drive) when I plugged it into my keyboard yesterday. Then I remembered the keyboard was plugged into an unpowered hub. :lol:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 334  Next