Reply to topic  [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330 ... 334  Next
The Ranting (or Venting) Thread. 
Doesn't have much of a life

saspro wrote:
l3v1ck wrote:
High end Android phones.
Why are the manufacturers removing headphone jacks when there are no adaptors available that allow you to charge the device and use the USB connection to plug in headphones at the same time. Sort it out! All the older phones with jacks have small batteries.

Bluetooth headphones or a bluetooth adapter for your existing ones or a wireless charger. Job done.

There's too much latency in Bluetooth for anything other than listening to pre-recorded audio only.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I use BT all the time for telephone conversations, can't say I've noticed much in the way of latency.

I also use a pair of Sony over ear and a Jabra headset for listening to podcasts and audiobooks over BT. The lack of cables getting caught in clothing or the dog lead is great. Also good at the gym, I can leave my phone on the side whilst using the equipment, without yanking onto the floor every few minutes or having it covered in sweat or falling out of a pocket.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:13 pm
Profile ICQ

For something like telephone calls where we are used to a degree of latency anyway, I doubt whether it would be noticeable.

However for watching video where the audio and video content needs to be perfectly synchronised and even the slightest offset will impact on the viewing experience and can make the whole thing very off-putting, IME Bluetooth even at its "best" introduces too much latency for comfortable video viewing.

I'm on a musical instrument forum where almost every week there is a new thread started by someone who is using wireless headphones for "silent" practice and they are finding the disconnect between playing a note and hearing it extremely off putting. In these cases even as little latency as 10ms (around the best that Bluetooth can achieve) can be enough to make the headphones unusable.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I usually do my weekly shopping at Tesco (it’s on my way home from work).
For the last couple of weeks they haven’t had their own brand ‘high juice’ diluting squash. It was back in stock this week so I bought some. As a diabetic I normally get the no added sugar one. In the past this has been denoted by a small banner on the label and more prominently a light blue cap (the normal one having a dark green one).
It looked like they’d switched the entire range to being no added sugar as now they all had a blue lid so I got some orange and some apple flavours (Apple hadn’t been available as a no added sugar version before and I like it).
When I finally got round to having some I was impressed, the Apple tasted pretty much exactly like the sugared version... because it was. They seem to have just put blue tops on everything.

Fair enough I could have checked the label more closely but to me this seems like a deliberately confusing change for the purpose of what exactly? To save money on bulk buying blue lids?
Not impressed :x

Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:19 pm
What's a life?

Interesting. I think we buy the same high juice stuff. Neither of us are diabetic but we both go for "no added sugar" as well. I hadn't noticed the switch and naively assumed that the entire range had become "no added sugar", especially in the wake of the sugar tax.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:44 am

On Saturday evening I discovered that my idiot downstairs neighbour has had his incompetent builders put up a fence between then and their next door neighbour, in the process having put a post straight through the Virgin Cable line between the street and the building. At first they tried to deny that the lack of internet and phone was due to their actions, but there is no denying that the post is directly between the access point on the street and the junction box on the outside of the house.

This is just one in a long series of bodges and general incompetencies that these builders have inflicted on the property which is now almost 12 months over schedule for the renovations that were part of the sale agreement when they bought the downstairs flat, and yet one more item for my solicitor to add to the growing list of things that we will be seeking compensation for.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:33 am
Profile WWW

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Interesting. I think we buy the same high juice stuff. Neither of us are diabetic but we both go for "no added sugar" as well. I hadn't noticed the switch and naively assumed that the entire range had become "no added sugar", especially in the wake of the sugar tax.

I’d had a similar thought (about the sugar tax). Price of the sugared stuff is the same as the no added sugar version as well so they seem to have absorbed the cost anyway.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:40 am
Site Admin

davrosG5 wrote:
cloaked_wolf wrote:

I’d had a similar thought (about the sugar tax). Price of the sugared stuff is the same as the no added sugar version as well so they seem to have absorbed the cost anyway.

Most Tesco drinks were below the threshold for the tax anyway.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:36 pm
Profile WWW

BigRedX wrote:
However for watching video where the audio and video content needs to be perfectly synchronised and even the slightest offset will impact on the viewing experience and can make the whole thing very off-putting, IME Bluetooth even at its "best" introduces too much latency for comfortable video viewing.

That's a shame. I was about to order a Bluetooth transmitter and headphones for the TV so I can watch a movie and not disturb anybody.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:46 pm
What's a life?

Updates.

1. Win7 - my work computer updated itself last night, which means when I came in at 0730, it was trying to complete updates, had failed and was now trying to uninstall them. I left it for a bit and went away. 30 mins later, no joy. I forced a reboot, went into safe mode and restarted and it took about an hour to return to a usable desktop.

2. iPhones. I've been on iOS 10.3 for a while because there were multiple reports of users with older phones that were slower and drained battery life on iOS11. It took three attempts to update my iPhone and took about two hours in total. Why o why can't updating an iPhone be painless?

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:02 pm

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Why o why can't updating an iPhone be painless?
I updated my iPhone to iOS 12 last night and everything just worked.
Apple still insists on turning on Bluetooth by default after a major update, but that was as expected.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:49 pm
Profile WWW

Spent the afternoon setting up a brand new Windows 10 laptop for my sister.

Now, considering this was brand new from the factory, the first time I ran Windows Update I was expecting a few patches and there were indeed 5 or 6, one of which was the dreaded “Windows Feature Update”.

Total: 27GB
I repeat, 27GB!!
And afterwards, I can’t find one single new “Feature”!

It’s a good job I specced it with an SSD, which even so took over 2 hours to complete, I’m so glad I don’t use Windows.
:roll: :x

* Witty statement goes here *

Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:36 pm
What's a life?

27GB is the space it needs to copy the old installation over, to keep it save, in case there are problems, plus the ~1-2GB that the updates themselves need. The updates themselves aren't exactly small, but they are nowhere near 27GB.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:25 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Patients not attending their appointments. We're short staffed (one doctor left late last year, replacement on the way), it's winter season, high demand, not enough appointment slots. But two patients have not turned up today so far. Very infuriating.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:23 am

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Patients not attending their appointments. We're short staffed (one doctor left late last year, replacement on the way), it's winter season, high demand, not enough appointment slots. But two patients have not turned up today so far. Very infuriating.

this is were I think they should be charged for the missed appointment - They should be allowed to cancel at any time but if they just don't show up then they should be "fined"

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330 ... 334  Next