Reply to topic  [ 1759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118  Next
Tales of Win Thread 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Have a great time - are you doing the theme parks in Florida

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:21 am
Official forum cat lady

hifidelity2 wrote:

Not sure yet. Really just want a chilled out week. Done the theme parks a couple of times before and they're over a 3 hour drive from where I'm staying. Plus wouldn't be much fun on my own.

I'm definitely going to the local water park

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:36 pm

oceanicitl wrote:
hifidelity2 wrote:

Not sure yet. Really just want a chilled out week. Done the theme parks a couple of times before and they're over a 3 hour drive from where I'm staying. Plus wouldn't be much fun on my own.

I'm definitely going to the local water park

No not so much fun on your own BUT they often have single people queues to fill odd seats

Anyway enjoy

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:09 am

oceanicitl wrote:
Flying out to Florida Monday for a weeks holiday then up to New York on 12th :D

Sorry, Caz, just seen this. Hope Florida was fantastic and New York is equally fantastic, if not better!

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Official forum cat lady

Passed my probation. I'm keeping the job

Hoorah!

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:38 pm

oceanicitl wrote:
Passed my probation. I'm keeping the job

Hoorah!

:D :D

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:48 pm
What's a life?

We celebrated the 15th anniversary of the Chrysler Crossfire in what can only be described has torrential rain last weekend. The first one was registered in the UK in October 2003, so we based the timing of the gathering for that. Despite the weather, we managed to gather 76 cars on the day - quite a feat given how few there are in the UK (around 4000), and the weather on the day.

We’ve since been told by some of the people over the pond that we’ve managed to assemble the largest number of Crossfires anywhere in the world. You‘d expect the USA to manage more, but apparently not.

Here’s a somewhat shaky iPhone video I took on the day showing the line up. People came from all over the country to make this happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-M212WC_uU&t=28s

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:47 am
What's a life?

I was given a clock a couple of weeks ago. It’s a proper mechanical one, powered by a weight and regulated by a pendulum. I was told that the chime didn’t work well (there’s a bell at the top), and it seems that there was some confusion over how the pendulum attaches to the clock itself.

Anyway, it’s not an antique, but clearly old. Anyway, I though that maybe I could work out what was wrong. In most clocks of this type, the pendulum does not hang directly from the clock mechanism. They tend to hand from a separate point, usually by a small springy piece of metal, and the pendulum slots somehow into the regulator mechanism, usually via some odd looking bracket. The pendulum guides the clock and the escapement, but there is no load bearing. I think the people who gate it to me had the pendulum hanging somehow from the escapement. They claimed it worked, and so I guess that’s what they did.

However, knowing what I know about clocks, I felt that this was wrong, and on some closer inspection, yes, there was a place where the pendulum would be hung from. It was missing the part I expected to be there. In the long term, I intend to get a proper piece (I’ll take the clock to a menders and ask them what one I should be using as I guess they will be different sizes for different clocks). However, until then, I decided to make my own. See if the clock works if nothing else.

I cut a small piece of plastic from a milk bottle, stuck a small piece of heavy duty fuse wire through it, and with a little bit of fiddling, got it in the place where it was meant to be. I hooked up the pendulum bracket to it, engaged the escapement and fitted the pendulum.

And it works. Surprisingly well, it seems. It’s been running continuously for about two weeks now. Also, it seems that the chime was easy to fix too. Tightening a screw seemed to have done the trick. It chimes once on the hour, and it‘s a bloody loud chime too.

So, I’m rather happy about that. Clock mended, I’ll see how long the plastic lasts. It’s keeping good time now I’ve had a chance to adjust it.

I’m not a proper clock mender by any stretch of the imagination, but I feel really good about having got this one fixed and working.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:59 pm

Pulled an old motherboard out of the loft and stuck on test yesterday morning - I'm slowly working my way through all my old tech bits and clearing out the dross.

Anyhoo, to my surprise, the board still works and I stuck it on a stress test for a few hours before listing it on feebay, because they're still sought after - sold it for £100 within an hour. :D.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:23 pm

Spreadie wrote:
Pulled an old motherboard out of the loft and stuck on test yesterday morning - I'm slowly working my way through all my old tech bits and clearing out the dross.

Anyhoo, to my surprise, the board still works and I stuck it on a stress test for a few hours before listing it on feebay, because they're still sought after - sold it for £100 within an hour. :D.

Details man, details.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:37 am

reminds me - I have an old AMD 4400 system sitting in my study taking up room - should break its down and sell the various components even if only to make room - would happily give to a charity if I could find one that wanted it - they could even have an old copy of W7 (I think)

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:12 pm
What's a life?

I still have my Q6600 system sitting at home in a corner... Hmm.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:56 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Nothing wrong with that. That was a classic CPU.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:47 pm
Profile WWW

Apple Support.

Recently I bought a reconditioned iPhone8 from GiffGaff (it was 'good' condition, they have three tiers of refurbised produce, 'good', 'very good', and 'excellent'), it had a few scuffs on the casing and a very tiny, almost imperceptable little scratch on the screen (I hadn't even noticed the scratch in two weeks of using the phone).
Anyway, I thought I'd avail myself of the current £25 battery replacement, because in Janyary it goes up to £50.
Took it in to the Apple Store in Belfast, pottered around Belfast for a bit and then went to collect.
I was told by the store employee that they couldn't replace the battery in the refurb handset as the battery didn't have the lift-tabs, and they couldn't prise the battery out for fear of damaging the internal electronics.
It was then I was told that because of this issue, they're going to do a like-for-like swap with a brand new handset. (8+D
And at no extra cost than the fee for battery replacement.

I got me a brand new iPhone 8 for £25.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:42 pm
Profile WWW

result!

Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118  Next