Reply to topic  [ 4020 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268
Tales of Fail Thread 
What's a life?

Text message from Dr Surgery advising me of some app that will let me book appointments, etc..

*Clicks on link.*

Safari won’t open it because it could not make a secure connection to the server. Oh, well.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue May 07, 2019 12:08 pm
What's a life?

Grr! I've been swearing at Huawei for a couple of months now, because they used to be very good at providing security updates to their smartphones, then, suddenly, my Mate 10 Pro stopped getting updates. No updates since December!

I had contacted support once and they said they would put my phone back in the update list, but it could take a couple of weeks until the OTA update arrived. Fair enough, it can happen.

But nothing came. I reset the phone, twice, nothing.

I searched and found ways of manually updating with packets downloaded from alleged Huawei sites, rooting the phone and installing. Not something I want to play about with. My Huawei P20, on the other hand was still receiving monthly updates.

I contacted support again yesterday and got a reply back that everything looked okay from their end. Had I tried changing SIMs? WTF? I was about to write back, what did they mean by changing SIMs, but then a thought struck me. I powered down my phone, took out the SIM and put the company SIM from the P20 in, booted and within 10 seconds, it was offering me the missing updates! The first was the upgrade of Pie, the second the current update for May!

It turns out that Vodafone deliberately won't let updates go to phones on its network! I had switched from congstar (T-Mobile network) to Vodafone at the end of January and I hadn't had updates since. While I can understand that Vodafone want to release their own updates for their own devices, my phone is a carrier free model! What right does Vodafone have to put my phone and my data at risk? GRRR! So, I know what I have to do now, I have to swap the bloody SIMs once a month to get the security updates for my phone... :evil: :roll:

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed May 08, 2019 7:25 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

big_D wrote:
<snip>

It turns out that Vodafone deliberately won't let updates go to phones on its network! I had switched from congstar (T-Mobile network) to Vodafone at the end of January and I hadn't had updates since. While I can understand that Vodafone want to release their own updates for their own devices, my phone is a carrier free model! What right does Vodafone have to put my phone and my data at risk? GRRR! So, I know what I have to do now, I have to swap the bloody SIMs once a month to get the security updates for my phone... :evil: :roll:

So, when are you switching from Vodafone?

Wed May 08, 2019 4:04 pm
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
big_D wrote:
<snip>

So, when are you switching from Vodafone?

In about 2 years. :(

Thu May 09, 2019 4:46 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Bloke at work just got fired for failing the breathalyser test at the heliport.
That's his career screwed. Word gets around and I doubt any of the other service companies in the UK will take him on.
Best he can hope for is lower paid work in the middle east.

Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

l3v1ck wrote:
Bloke at work just got fired for failing the breathalyser test at the heliport.

He must have known that's what would have happened. There might be something underlying this eg depression, issues with relationship etc.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:29 am
What's a life?

Depends which oil company it was.
Some use the UK driving limit, some have a policy of zero alcohol. He could have had a few drinks the evening before and just had a tiny trace of it left in him.
These days it's best not to have a drink the day before, just to be safe.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:06 am
Profile WWW

We have that on some of the building sites - Drug and Alcohol testing

when they announce that they are doing it you see a number of people walk off the site - there is less penalty for not giving it (and then come back the next day to give the sample) than for failing it

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:38 pm

One of my old workplaces brought in summary dismissal for refusal to give a sample for a drugs and alcohol test. I've had to sit with an employee for five hours waiting for a D&A tester to arrive and spend thirty seconds taking a frikkin pee sample - I think I got home three hours later than normal.

There were occasional instances of anonymous calls to D&A that were clearly done just to f*** up someone's day - though not in the above example - it was mandatory after a vehicle collision, regardless of how minor.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:12 pm
What's a life?

Luckily I've never been anywhere that does drug tests. Not because I have anything to hide, but because I think it can pretty quickly become a toxic atmosphere to work in.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:19 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

We have had email problems all week, well, started last Thursday. Email was going out from us, accepted by our provider, but around 30% wasn't arriving at the recipient - which when a major part of the email is orders for raw materials or order confirmations for products we have sold, that is a major problem! We've had the staff ringing around to make sure the critical emails have arrived.

We assumed that one (or more) of the providers edge servers was blacklisted.

Our provider has constantly refused to help. We don#t get an error message back, so it can't be them, they don't just delete messages without any warning. Nobody said they were just deleting them, just that the messages weren't arriving. But without an error message, they won't lift a finger... The only message we get is an SMTP Accepted message, which means they accepted the message as valid.

We decided to change the SMTP relay server, they have several. We re-configured our exchange to use this other SMTP server and send test emails, they all arrived. We then sent another buch, 3 were rejected by the recipient's server, because our providers edge server was blacklisted! Yes, through this other SMTP relay, from the same provider, we suddenly started getting the rejected messages!

We then sent them the rejected messages and their response was, that they can't guarantee message delivery and the recipient is at fault, because, while the servers are blacklisted, they are also whitelisted and the recpient should be looking at the whitelist and therefore the recipient's email server is at fault, because our provider got themselves blacklisted!

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:27 am
Profile ICQ

UTI.

:|

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:19 am
What's a life?

Why is global trade so hard?

I found a pair of Burton snowboard trousers in my size/colour etc.
No retailers in the UK had my size.
Burton's website in the UK didn't have my size (presumably this means they never shipped that size/colour combo to the UK this season.
So I tried the US website. Yay. They have my size/colour combo in stock. Tried to order them, but they'll only ship to the USA and Canada.
Tried contacting them via email. They basically said there was nothing they could do.

I ended up getting them sent to some family friends in Canada, who'll post them to me.
It shouldn't be this hard to buy stuff over the internet.

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:05 pm
Profile WWW

l3v1ck wrote:
Why is global trade so hard?

I found a pair of Burton snowboard trousers in my size/colour etc.
No retailers in the UK had my size.
Burton's website in the UK didn't have my size (presumably this means they never shipped that size/colour combo to the UK this season.
So I tried the US website. Yay. They have my size/colour combo in stock. Tried to order them, but they'll only ship to the USA and Canada.
Tried contacting them via email. They basically said there was nothing they could do.

I ended up getting them sent to some family friends in Canada, who'll post them to me.
It shouldn't be this hard to buy stuff over the internet.

There are sites out there that can give you a US address so you can ship things to and then they will post it to you (although cheaper to use family!)

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:39 pm
Legend

EMP are trying to sell the Birds of Prey soundtrack on CD for £19 before p&p.

Someone should tell them it's 2020.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 4020 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268