Reply to topic  [ 4020 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268  Next
Tales of Fail Thread 
What's a life?

Open Toonz - an animation application for Mac, Windows. Apparently used by Studio Ghibli. Anyway, it has a rather odd, if not unique, way of doing things. My wife’s interested, and we’re trying to work out how bits of it work. I think I may understand more of it than she does, but that may be down to my overall use of graphic design software.

Anyway, Open Toonz works around projects. In each project is your collection of animations and scenes. However, by default, the Projects folder is installed NEXT TO THE APPLICATION in the Applications folder (on a Mac). It doesn’t drop the folder in your Documents folder.

So, how does one change the location of the Projects folder? In Preferences, you’d think.

No. You have to rummage around INSIDE THE APPLICATION BUNDLE and change something in a .ini file.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:04 pm
What's a life?

Due to the dry weather in Germany, many places are now running low on fuel.

Huh, you ask?

In Germany a majority of fuel is transported on canals and rivers. All along the Rhein, the water level is so low that the tanker ships can only carry a half load or less, otherwise they risk running aground in mid-channel!

Added to this is a refinery fire on the Rhein in the summer, which also didn't help matters.

A lot of fuel stations are now running low on fuel.

HGV tankers are usually only used for the last few kilometers between the river-side storage yards and the fuel stations. There just aren't enough long haul HGVs to replace the tankers - one canal / river boat can carry the equivalent of around 2,800 tonnes - around 70 HGVs - and there are dozens of the things navigating up and down the Rhein every day. Which means that there is a shortfall of tens of thousands of tonnes of fuel every day.

The German government have released their oil reserves, but they still need to be transported to the refinaries and from there to the depots.

This also means higher fuel prices in many areas. We are fairly lucky, there is an oil pipeline in the area and we have the Mittelland Canal and we are also relatively close to Hamburg, so most of the fuel comes down the pipeline or by HGV anyway.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:33 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

interesting - on what you would think are unrelated things are connected

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:16 pm
What's a life?

Thought I’d give the Alexa a try at my wide’s school on Friday.

Asked it to play the Star Trek theme - it obliged by playing the theme from the most recent film. I actually had to specify Alexander Courage as the composer to get the right one. :roll:

Moving on, asked it to play the Dr Who theme as arranged by Delia Derbyshire (I used her name in the request) - it can’t get that wrong, I thought. It played the Peter Davison era theme. :roll:

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:53 pm

So after may relatively happy years of using a Windows Phone I have admitted defeat and switched a viable platform (iPhone XR).
Nice phone but for some reason it didn't seem to ring or otherwise signal when there calls and messages etc... that would be the tiny hardware mute switch on the side then :oops:

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:27 am
Doesn't have much of a life

Once again Yodel manage to deliver my parcel to the wrong address.

Yes I know that isn't really unexpected, but this time although they have got the house number and street name right, it is for a street with the same name in the city centre centre some 4 miles away and a completely different postcode apart from the NG at the beginning. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that all Yodel employees are completely illiterate.

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:41 am
Profile WWW

Parcel Force have done a great job for me recently.
Got a text saying my parcel had been delivered a house 50 odd numbers away from mine.
Having been caught out by this before, I went home and found the 'you were out' slip - parcel had been left at the back door (once I'd deciphered the drivers god awful writing) .
I don't understand why they have to make stuff up for whatever system generates the text messages.

On a previous occasion I got back from work and went straight to the house I had been told had my parcel - naturally they had no idea what I was gibbering on about as the parcel had never gone anywhere near them and was, as this time, at the back door.

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:57 am
Legend

paulzolo wrote:
Thought I’d give the Alexa a try at my wide’s school on Friday.

Asked it to play the Star Trek theme - it obliged by playing the theme from the most recent film. I actually had to specify Alexander Courage as the composer to get the right one. :roll:

Moving on, asked it to play the Dr Who theme as arranged by Delia Derbyshire (I used her name in the request) - it can’t get that wrong, I thought. It played the Peter Davison era theme. :roll:

I own a few Echos now and the honest truth is every one of them was on sale, and I only use them because I have Prime anyway. The AI is absolutely getting worse. You've to find the exact/right random collection of words each time, even for something in your library that you've bought!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:50 pm
Legend

With regards to parcels the Amazon delivery drivers are the worst for me... There's a big red parcels sign and a giant green drop box, but sure, lets leave it at my front door in the pissing rain. Then send me a photo of it.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:54 pm
What's a life?

The ticket machines in one of the multi-storey car pars here.

It works like this - when you enter the car park, you get a ticket with a QR code. When you leave, you scan the QR code on the pay machine, and it tells you how much to pay. There’s a video screen which tells you where to scan your ticket. It displays a photo (or a graphic) of the reader with a ticket being held up to it to the right of the screen (and no indication of where on the ticket machine he reader actually is). The actual reader is some space below the screen, to the left. It’s not labelled very well. There’s a kind of “wifi-like” icon above it, but that’s it. That icon is not visible on the screen image because (wait for it) the hand and ticket in the image is obscuring it.

Yesterday, I saw someone repeatedly holding up their ticket to the image of the reader on the screen, and wondering why nothing was happening. So I watched to see if the penny would drop, but, no. They kept trying to use the image on the screen. So I helped them.

Was it me being stupid? I thought about it for a bit, and tried to switch the part of my brain off that knows such things. And, yes, it actually struck me that making the image of the ticket reader on the screen seem like the actual target could indeed cause confusion, especially if the actual reader was not placed close by. You shouldn’t have to hunt for core functionality.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 pm
What's a life?

Design layouts can be confusing. Supermarkets have self-checkout counters. I nearly always pay by card and it’s easy. But try and pay with a note and they all have different places for the note slot. Some say “notes” or “cash” where you put in money, others have the same labels for where they give out cash. It can be momentarily confusing and I’m in my mid-thirties.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:41 pm

So, I did a Sunday on overtime before Christmas to try and make a dent in a work backlog.
I knew this was after the December payroll deadline so I wasn't expecting to be paid until the January.
January pay day arrived and... no overtime. So I flagged this to my line manager who said they'd sort it.
February pay day - no overtime. They cocked up the overtime form and missed the February payroll deadline so I've been told I won't be paid my December overtime until March.
I am not a happy bunny. :evil:

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:29 am
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
They cocked up the overtime form and missed the February payroll deadline so I've been told I won't be paid my December overtime until March.

Partly because of stuff like this and partly because of rubbish pay, if I work extra days to cover other doctors who are off, I take time off instead.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:17 pm
What's a life?

Over here time off is generally preferred, as overtime is taxed higher and messes up you pay for the rest of the year - you can claim back the overtaxation with your tax return, but it is a faff.

Naturally, if you are playing catch-up, you probably don't have the opportunity to take time off.

My wife was ill in December and January. Her boss was also ill in December. The boss's sub took her sickness certificate and put it in the boss's pigeon hole, only one problem the boss needs to pass it straight along to personnel in Berlin. So she got marked down as sick without authorization and had her pay docked. The same happened in January. We've taken to copying the certificates and sending a copy via email direct to the personnel department. The pay was adjusted correctly, but it is still a pain when you are sick having extra stress trying to get your pay sorted out because people are too thick...

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:25 pm
Profile ICQ

Oh that's just the end result of fail-berg.
There's always been a backlog - I inherited one when I started the job (from, incidentally 6 people doing it as an adjunct to their main job).
My boss, at the time, who used to do what I do maintained that one person, full time, should be able to do what 6 people part time couldn't because he used to manage it when he did it about a decade ago. His definition of 'acceptable and mine turned out to be very different.
Anywho, towards the middle of last year the company decides it's going to shut down part of one of our sites (where, incidentally 2 members of my department were based, including the director). They made on of the two redundant and the director went off with stress (or at least that's what we assume it was) until he used up his company sick pay entitlement (6 months worth), then resigned. Shortly after this, my boss handed in his notice and so did another of my colleagues. By the end of last year we'd gone from a department of 6 to me and another guy. The other guy was getting divorced and went off sick for about 2 months (but while there were still a few other people about).
I had a weeks holiday booked in November (that I had booked in January that year) so I was bloody well taking my holiday.

Yeah, the backlog, as a result of these various factors got a bit out of hand and I'm still trying to catch up while training my bosses replacement to provide cover (long way to go there - everything they've done so far has resulted in more work for me to correct the mess but they are getting better).

So yeah, bit of a stressful time and the not paying the overtime has really p!ssed me off.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4020 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268  Next