Reply to topic  [ 7547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493 ... 504  Next
What's on your mind right now? 
What's a life?

New glasses and no one's noticed. Or at least they've not said anything. I've had the same frames for ten years (I bought the frames and then when my prescription needed changing after five years, they had the same frames on offer so I bought them again). There's enough of a difference in style from very thin frames that are almost similar to rimless, to very big chunky style ones.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:58 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Please forgive me CW but I immediately thought they're just not looking at your eyes! Must have a big package or some other distraction :)
But thats hardly an acceptable comment so I had better run and hide.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:16 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

One of my monitors has stopped working. Think I'll put off replacing it until after Vegas, Back to two monitors. Oh dear... </First world problems>

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:10 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I have a Dell 34" curved Ultra Wide (3440x1440) display and it replaces a dual monitor set-up. I can highly recommend it. I then have the internal display (laptop) for email.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:46 am
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
I have a Dell 34" curved Ultra Wide (3440x1440) display and it replaces a dual monitor set-up. I can highly recommend it. I then have the internal display (laptop) for email.

I've got a 28" 4K monitor, (Acer CB280HK) and, until last night I had 2 x 22" Edge 10 WS110's, (I think) running at 1860 x 1050. Might use this as an excuse to get another 4K screen and maybe ditch the other 22"

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:58 am
Profile WWW

What is a 'competency-based' interview?

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:29 pm

Paul1965 wrote:

The job will have a set of competencies that are required and or desirable and the interview will be to determine how well the candidate can demonstrate each of the competencies either through asking them to demonstrate the necessary skill(s) in the interview or provide evidence of them by giving examples that they've done previously.
The candidate should have a copy (or be able to obtain a copy) of the job description which should list the required competencies and attributes required for the job so that they can prepare examples/responses for each prior to the interview.
You should basically have a list of bullet points they are looking for and be able to demonstrate or provide one or more examples of how you meet each one.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:46 pm

davrosG5 wrote:
Paul1965 wrote:

The job will have a set of competencies that are required and or desirable and the interview will be to determine how well the candidate can demonstrate each of the competencies either through asking them to demonstrate the necessary skill(s) in the interview or provide evidence of them by giving examples that they've done previously.
The candidate should have a copy (or be able to obtain a copy) of the job description which should list the required competencies and attributes required for the job so that they can prepare examples/responses for each prior to the interview.
You should basically have a list of bullet points they are looking for and be able to demonstrate or provide one or more examples of how you meet each one.

Thanks.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:42 pm
What's a life?

Just signed on at the Agentur für Arbeit. My contract ended yesterday and I am still in negotiations with one possible employer.

I have a telco with head-hunter at 10, who wants to place me at a local IT services company (they were the external supplier for my previous employer), an interview at another at 3 and on Tuesday I have 2 interviews at different companies...

The market has been very slow in the last 6 months, so I was getting worried and suddenly jobs are popping up like weeds.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:35 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
A moral dilema.

The tax man has just sent me a letter saying he owes me £1250 as I over paid income tax in 16-17.
Having looked at their calculations I can see where they've gone wrong. They've only taken the work I did in the UK and haven't included my Denmark work.

Here's the tricky bit. I can offset tax paid in Denmark (which was more than I'd pay in the UK) against UK tax, but I can't claim anything back from my UK tax payments if the total is more than what I would have paid here. Technically if I accepted the £1250 back, I'd still have paid more than enough tax in Denmark of offset that £1250, so I wouldn't have evaded any tax because on paper my total tax payments would be greater than if I'd just paid UK tax, but at the same time it would still be a "refund" that technically I'm not entitled to.

I'm not sure why they don't have the correct data as my accountant did the full tax calculation/submission based on my total income from both the UK and Denmark.

Do I cash the cheque and hope they don't notice or not?

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:07 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Maybe I misunderstood my accountant. Maybe when she said no refunds, she meant I can't claim back what I'd overpaid abroad from the UK tax man. But that just seems like the UK tax man would unneccessarily be doing himself out of £1250 when in fairness the have the moral right to keep that based on my total annual income.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:11 am
Profile WWW

In my experience, the tax man makes all kinds of blunders, but eventually figures it out and will likely hit you for it at the time you least expect it.

Take the money, dump it in a savings account and leave it alone for six months minimum.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:52 am
What's a life?

DHL in Germany is being blackmailed into paying a ransom. The blackmailer is posting incendiary devices and bombs per DHL to random addresses in Germany!

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:39 am
Profile ICQ
Legend

big_D wrote:
DHL in Germany is being blackmailed into paying a ransom. The blackmailer is posting incendiary devices and bombs per DHL to random addresses in Germany!

I've encountered DHL... Are you sure it's not just a cover story? It was the random addresses bit... ;)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:30 pm
What's a life?

I'm glad I'm A) Going home tomorrow, and B) Not the guy on day shift.
He's going to have some serious questions to answer tomorrow about why he didn't notice we'd reached the collapse pressure when we displaced the riser to seawater yesterday.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493 ... 504  Next