Reply to topic  [ 7547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 484, 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490 ... 504  Next
What's on your mind right now? 
Site Admin

Blue_Nowhere wrote:

I'm already in commutable distance from South West London, Si ;)

In that case we're more than due a pint then ;)

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

saspro wrote:
Blue_Nowhere wrote:

I'm already in commutable distance from South West London, Si ;)

In that case we're more than due a pint then ;)

I make you absolutely right! :D

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I got a job.

The money is [LIFTED], I'll probably hate it and I'll have tighten my belt to the point that it cuts off blood flow but it's a job and we'll get by. I might even be able to take my house off the market.

I'd like to hold out for the outcome of one or two other applications where the interviews went really well but, if I turn this down, the dole office won't pay me any benefits. I can't afford to take that chance.

So, I'll just have to keep applying for other work whilst this one pays the bills.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:19 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Well it's better than nothing. Hope the other jobs come through.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

What is the situation with quitting the job now in the UK? It is so long since I had a new job in the UK (1987), that I can't remember. But in Germany, the first 6 months are a propbationary period and either side can cancel the contract without notice.

That would mean taking the first job, if something better comes along in the first 6 months, you can just tell the employer that it isn't working out and swap jobs.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 am
Profile ICQ

Depends to a certain extent on the contract of course but broadly speaking the notice period at the start of a new job is pretty short or non-existent so pretty much the same as Germany by the sounds of things.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:17 am

One week later...

I was offered another job this afternoon!

It pays ~25% more than the one I started last Monday, and it's closer to home. I start a week on Monday. Result. :D

I'll still go into work on Monday - there's a bunch of lads relying on me for a lift, and I can't leave them hanging - I couldn't do that to them - but it is a probationary period, so I won't be there on Tuesday. They'll have get the bus from there on.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:31 pm

Spreadie wrote:
One week later...

I was offered another job this afternoon!

It pays ~25% more than the one I started last Monday, and it's closer to home. I start a week on Monday. Result. :D

I'll still go into work on Monday - there's a bunch of lads relying on me for a lift, and I can't leave them hanging - I couldn't do that to them - but it is a probationary period, so I won't be there on Tuesday. They'll have get the bus from there on.

That's fantastic news, Spreadie, congratulations! :D

NAS drives are on my mind. Had to replace a second drive in about three months. Bought a disk that is optimised for NAS use, so let's see how that goes, once the array has resynced, in about 54 hours!

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Great news. Still waiting to hear about a new job here.

I had a 1 year contract to help out a friend, we had hoped it would be extended, but so far it looks like it won't - my mate still needs help, but the managing director things he can cope alone from now on (he is implementing a ERP system and needed someone to take on the day-to-day work). The ERP system still isn't fully implemented, but the MD thinks it doesn't now need 2 people (plus apprentice).

I have a number of applications out there and I had a second interview for a job last week, which went very well.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:00 am
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
Great news. Still waiting to hear about a new job here.

I had a 1 year contract to help out a friend, we had hoped it would be extended, but so far it looks like it won't - my mate still needs help, but the managing director things he can cope alone from now on (he is implementing a ERP system and needed someone to take on the day-to-day work). The ERP system still isn't fully implemented, but the MD thinks it doesn't now need 2 people (plus apprentice).

I have a number of applications out there and I had a second interview for a job last week, which went very well.

Fingers crossed, Dave. :)

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:26 am
Profile WWW

Hope you get something soon.

I don't know about mainland Europe, but the UK job market has improved somewhat in the last 18 months.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:28 am
Officially Mrs saspro

Spreadie wrote:

I don't know about mainland Europe, but the UK job market has improved somewhat in the last 18 months.

We’ve had several buildings go on hold and had to stop hiring :(

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:00 pm
Profile WWW

TheFrenchun wrote:
Spreadie wrote:

Is this a seasonal event, or is it something for you and your colleagues to be worried about?

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Officially Mrs saspro

John_Vella wrote:
TheFrenchun wrote:
Spreadie wrote:

Is this a seasonal event, or is it something for you and your colleagues to be worried about?

It is worrying, hopefully it won’t dive like it did in 2010. A lot of commercial office developments are under threat due to uncertainty in financial sector. It’s also affecting high end residential

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:00 pm
Profile WWW

TheFrenchun wrote:
John_Vella wrote:
TheFrenchun wrote:

It is worrying, hopefully it won’t dive like it did in 2010. A lot of commercial office developments are under threat due to uncertainty in financial sector. It’s also affecting high end residential

It probably goes without saying, but I'm sure everyone on the forum will be keeping there fingers crossed that it all turns out OK, (or better!)

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 484, 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490 ... 504  Next