Reply to topic  [ 7547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494 ... 504  Next
What's on your mind right now? 
What's a life?

Got a warning that the HD on my Mac is starting to fail. I’ve been trying out Drive Genius, and while its repair and rebuild functions showed no problems, the integrity check says that there are problems. So that’s the next thing I’ll have to do.

Looking at instructions, it’s actually not that hard to get a new HD into my Mac mini. I’ve done far more complex HD replacements (the iBook a friend rescued from a skip was the most difficult one to do). It’s just a faff.

The thing was bought in late 2012, so the HD has done well seeing as though it’s been used on an almost daily basis since then.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:06 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Whether I'm going to get lumbered with the wellbore cleanup before I leave the rig. I suspect I am.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Being 250 miles away when your Dad's having major surgery sucks. Everyone who matters, or who knows anything, is at the hospital with their phones off.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:16 pm
What's a life?

:( I went through that as well. I was working away on assignment, when he was rushed into hospital. I could only get back to him after he was out of ICU.

And back then, I was the only one with a mobile phone.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything works out okay for him.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:24 am
Profile ICQ

He's out of ICU and on the recovery ward - obviously in pain, but in pretty good spirits, according my my sister. :)

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:56 pm
What's a life?

Hopefully your dad will have an uneventful recovery :)

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:24 am
What's a life?

A child protection issue. One of the kids in Code Club on Friday asked me if he could hang himself with his tie. After I said that you could, but it’s not something he should try, he followed up with some “what if I did” type questions.

As my wife runs it with me (she deals with the Year 5, I with Year 6), I asked her about it afterwards. It was a really rowdy session, and I had to shout at them a bit to keep the noise down. Anyway, I had to fill in a form. This is what is known as a “potential disclosure” - the boy could be just responding to something he’d heard or seen in a film or TV, or just being curious, but also he could be spilling the beans on something else. This can happen - the child may not be in danger, but it’s possible that someone he knows is. i am not allowed to make that decision. There are all kinds of angles to this kind of thing. So the form filling was necessary, and the teacher in charge of child protection will act on it.

I’ve been reassured that I’ve done the right thing, and that this will be investigated. It’s not up to be to decide what happens, next, but it is up to me to report anything like this just in case.

One thing I have been warned about is that some children may want to tell me things that they may not tell another adult. This is partly because I’m in school doing something fun, so I’m not seen as a teacher, but also because I’m male and some children (especially boys) prefer to open up to men rather than women. So I’ve been told how to deal with a situation where I could be told by a child that they are being abused.

So, yeah. This has been on my mind this weekend. Both the immediate issue, but also the wider ranging implications of the kind of things that I could be exposed to. All because I’m showing Year 6 kids HTML for an hour a week.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:22 pm
What's a life?

Yup it's always scary when kids say something like that. You're never quite sure if they mean it or are just being inquisitive. As a GP, I've encountered kids as young as 9 or 10 years of age who have been brought in by their parents over concerns of self-harm. Turns out the kid is cutting themselves just to see what it feels like. But you never know whether it stems from an underlying cause or whether it's a peer-pressure thing. A few years ago, there were a group of girls at a local school who were self-harming and encouraging others to do it. A sort of "gang" or "clique", like it was a trendy thing to do. The mind boggles.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:42 pm
What's a life?

cloaked_wolf wrote:
A few years ago, there were a group of girls at a local school who were self-harming and encouraging others to do it. A sort of "gang" or "clique", like it was a trendy thing to do. The mind boggles.

I’ve heard of this. My wife’s mentioned it. Sometimes there can be a craze of what they call “chicken scratching” - it seems to be a girl thing.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:53 pm
What's a life?

Last night, I went to bed, feeling tired, about 11pm. Fell asleep. Woke up randomly an hour later. Couldn't sleep so got up and walked around upstairs, looked out at the snow. Went downstairs to get some cold juice. There was a light emanating from the living room. Turned out the TV was switched on. Everything was off when I'd did the rounds before bed. Couldn't sleep so googled it and turns out it's an issue with Samsung TVs but no idea why it happens.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:03 pm

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Last night, I went to bed, feeling tired, about 11pm. Fell asleep. Woke up randomly an hour later. Couldn't sleep so got up and walked around upstairs, looked out at the snow. Went downstairs to get some cold juice. There was a light emanating from the living room. Turned out the TV was switched on. Everything was off when I'd did the rounds before bed.

Was your house built on the site of an Indian burial ground?

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:10 pm
What's a life?

l3v1ck wrote:
Whether I'm going to get lumbered with the wellbore cleanup before I leave the rig. I suspect I am.

I didn't. My poor back to back got lumbered with it. :D

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:17 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Couldn't sleep so googled it and turns out it's an issue with Samsung TVs but no idea why it happens.

My Samsung doesn't do that. What it does do, which is really annoying, is it flashes a black screen for a split second randomly on HD channels. I can only assume there's something wrong with the HD tuner.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:21 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Whilst listening to some old tracks on youtube last night, I saw a video about samples. Had no idea so many modern songs used samples of songs from the 50s or 60s. I was well aware of this occurring in rap music but didn't realise other genres (well mainstream pop) did it.

The one that's stuck in my head? Rick James - Super Freak.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:48 pm
Official forum cat lady

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Whilst listening to some old tracks on youtube last night, I saw a video about samples. Had no idea so many modern songs used samples of songs from the 50s or 60s. I was well aware of this occurring in rap music but didn't realise other genres (well mainstream pop) did it.

The one that's stuck in my head? Rick James - Super Freak.

ALL music is a rip off of other music and samples have been used in all kinds of genres for years! Catch up man lol

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 7547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494 ... 504  Next