Reply to topic  [ 7547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498, 499 ... 504  Next
What's on your mind right now? 
What's a life?

steve74 wrote:
The boss has booked us all into a team building day at an “Urban Activity Centre” today. Complete with rope ladders, climbing wall, trapeze and a zip wire.

Considering I’m 44, overweight with a dodgy knee and a chronic fear of heights, to say I’m not looking forward to this would be an understatement.
:o :shock:

I have a fear of heights too. The actual “step off the ledge” kind. I’d hate to be forced onto one of those courses. My father in law used to run that kind of thing. They sound like great fun if you are running them, but not so much if you are an unwilling participant.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:07 pm
Official forum cat lady

Went to the Soft Cell final last night. Surprise guest appearence by Mari Wilson. Was a great night :)

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:24 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
They've either got a 24 hour fix, or a one week fix to do before starting drilling the next well.
The unprofessional side of me wants it to be the one week fix so I miss all the drilling with water based mud. It's going to be a nightmare.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

oceanicitl wrote:
Went to the Soft Cell final last night. Surprise guest appearence by Mari Wilson. Was a great night :)

I saw Soft Cell at one of their "pre-fame" gigs in 1980 when they got bottled off stage after their backing tape broke down.

The gig had been billed as a "Futurist Night" with surprise special guests, and the rumours were that the special guests would be Spandau Ballet. Therefore, the audience weren't keen when they were presented with two weirdos a keyboard and a tape recorder playing songs they didn't know. They didn't even get to play "Memorabilia" which some of them might have recognised because the tape machine broke down after 4 songs. A couple of months later they were on TotP performing "Tainted Love". Not a great evening at the time, but one I can look back on and say "I was there" before they were famous.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:29 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Yes, it is great when you can do that.

Same for me with a little known Australian band called INXS.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:08 pm
Profile ICQ
Doesn't have much of a life

I went to a lot of gigs in the 80s and 90s mostly indie bands in small venues so I got to see a lot of musicians before they became well-known.

Probably most notable were U2 at the Nottingham Boat Club with about 50 other people. They had just signed to Island Records and were out on their first headlining tour promoting the "Boy" album. On of my friends had seen them previously supporting The Only Ones and recommended them. We went to the gig with a colleague of his who knew them from when they were just starting out in Dublin, so I got the meet and have a quick chat with Bono and The Edge after the gig. The band were fantastic and I was particularly taken with The Edge's guitar sound which wasn't really like anything else at the time, but there was little to suggest that they were headed towards global stardom.

The other big one was Underworld. Long before the Trainspotting soundtrack and selling out stadia, they were a quirky synth-pop band called Freur. I saw them in 1985 at The Marquee Club in London, and then again as the first version of Underworld doing funk-rock (in a similar style to INXS) at the Borderline in 1989. Finally caught the dance version of Underworld just before the Dubnobasswithmyheadman album was released at a small club called Venus in Nottingham.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I met the Young Dubliners in Hameln in Germany, they were supporting Jethro Tull. Got a personally signed CD and had a long chat with them, drank a beer with them and got introduced to Tull, although that was short and not as memorable as the YDs. They were really friendly and enthusiastic and we had a good laugh.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:22 pm
Profile ICQ
Official forum cat lady

BigRedX wrote:
oceanicitl wrote:

I saw Soft Cell at one of their "pre-fame" gigs in 1980 when they got bottled off stage after their backing tape broke down.

The gig had been billed as a "Futurist Night" with surprise special guests, and the rumours were that the special guests would be Spandau Ballet. Therefore, the audience weren't keen when they were presented with two weirdos a keyboard and a tape recorder playing songs they didn't know. They didn't even get to play "Memorabilia" which some of them might have recognised because the tape machine broke down after 4 songs. A couple of months later they were on TotP performing "Tainted Love". Not a great evening at the time, but one I can look back on and say "I was there" before they were famous.

Well the tape machine was working very well on Sunday

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:39 pm
What's a life?

Neighbours - the shouting ones. It’s been getting worse recently. Shouting at 4am? To remind you, he’s got emphysema, she had a stroke.

Spoke to their daughter today - she described their house as a “war zone”. I think telling her how it’s been face to face has helped her as it sounds like her brother (who lives “up north”) is in denial about the situation. She told me that her dad had some “bad news” this week. I didn’t ask, but I expect a countdown. has started.

They really need to be in sheltered accommodation. Living here on their own without someone on hand all the time is not helping them at all. And, as I said, the constant shouting masks out any shouting for a real “call an ambulance” moment. It’s just normal, and it gets ignored. Hopefully that chat we had has given her some leverage with her brother and they can get things sorted out to make their parents more comfortable and safe.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:31 am
What's a life?

Over the summer, I helped paint my wife’s school. They could afford paint, but not the manpower to do it, so various passive-agressive coded messages about coming in to help were issued by the new deputy head. So we went in. I didn’t have to go, but my wife thought that we’d both help get the job done quicker if we went in and just cracked on for a few hours a day. So for three or four days, we were there with paint rollers. We actually got a lot done in that time. I didn’t get much acknowledgement from the head and dep. head at the time for my help. No one was being paid, and as I’m a volunteer at the best of times for Code Club and some other things.

I didn’t even get an acknowledgement of my help when I turned up the first time this term. Yes, I’m not expecting a massive outpouring of gratitude, gifts, etc. etc., but the head could have just said “thanks for helping” when she saw me that day. But, no, nothing. Anyway, seems the governors have got wind of this now, and I’m wondering what they’ll be doing. I did remind my wife to point out that it wasn’t just staff who turned up to help, but non staff too. There were a couple of parents helping as well, I understand.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:49 am
What's a life?

It’s coming up to Christmas, and that means that the mind turns to ...

vegan triggers. Or, basically, how to stop my mum and sister going into long tirades about how great it all is, because given past experiences if you give them the chance, that’s all they’ll talk about. It’s become a tradition for us here that during the drive over to see my family, we discuss the possible topics that are best to avoid to ensure a more varied conversation. I kind of get the feeling that I’m a project; a conversion target. Not happening.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:21 pm
What's a life?

Just repeatedly cook bacon butties. The smell will do the talking for you.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Damn it. Now I want a bacon butty. :evil:

Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

l3v1ck wrote:
Just repeatedly cook bacon butties. The smell will do the talking for you.

Or... you could go for the healthier option and get a BACON AIR FRESHENER!

Amazon Link

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:50 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

That's just wrong on so many levels.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498, 499 ... 504  Next