Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
An example of true waste. 

Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:20 am

Aren't these all from arms limitations treaties back in the Cold War days? The deal was everything had to be mothballed or broken and left out in vast dumps so the spy satellites could see them.

It is still a waste, though. Surely by now they'd be worth breaking up and reusing all the metals and stuff.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:22 am
Occasionally has a life

Sifter we missed ya!

Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:26 am
Occasionally has a life

Flippin' 'eck!! Are the majority of those B52s? Imagine how much money that scrap yard is worth.

Like so many times before and feeling a bead of sweat form on his sun-beaten brow, the dog launched himself upwards, jaws open, full of expectation edged with uncertainty, to retrieve the flying disc from it's azimuth; no dog had done this before.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:48 am
Official forum cat lady

My boyfriend has just informed me they keep them in the desert because they don't rot.

Imagine how many families that would take care of if they were scrapped.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:17 am
Site Admin

Hmmn, I'm not 100% this is Sifter, email addy doesn't look right.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

IIRC the strategic arms treaty included the visual destruction of a percentage of long range nuclear capable bombers. Hence the B52's getting chopped up. Though the vast majority of the aircraft stored there are either mothballed for future use (in times of war, or to be rigged as drones and shot out of the sky), also a great deal of hardware there is actually for sale!

PM if interested. (just kidding). ;)

Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:58 pm
Site Admin

The Sifter3000 account has been banned as it's not Alex (the original Sifter3000).
I'm not having some joker potentially stir up trouble with CPC/BT

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

Location: 3959 miles from the centre of the Earth - give or take a bit
They're not B-52s - they're mostly C-141 Starlifters and C-5A Galaxys, plus some KC-135 tankers. They're pretty old and have been gradually phased out by newer types (C-17 Globemaster, C-5B/M)

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:32 pm
Occasionally has a life

saspro wrote:
The Sifter3000 account has been banned as it's not Alex (the original Sifter3000).
I'm not having some joker potentially stir up trouble with CPC/BT

Good idea and very quick action, Saspro. Nice work.

Depends if it’s an air brick or not, I suppose.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:33 pm

If this is the Davis Monthan Airforce base, then there are two different locations and two different classes of aircraft.

The location is part USAF base and part private scrapyard. There appears to be hundreds and hundreds of aircraft from the USAF, the USN and other US military outfits. The working ones are (as noted) stored here because the environment is pretty friendly for them

There is the famous B52 graveyard and the guillotine that chopped them up. It's one heck of a place to view with Google Earth.

And good riddance to the Sifter impersonator

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:41 pm
What's a life?

oceanicitl wrote:
My boyfriend has just informed me they keep them in the desert because they don't rot.

Virtually zero humidity. But they have to spray them with this weird gel stuff to stop the sand getting in. Thousands of planes, in the desert, all wearing sun tan lotion. Most bizarre.

oceanicitl wrote:
Imagine how many families that would take care of if they were scrapped.

Not as many as you'd think. Warplanes are designed to be as light as possible, so they aren't actually big lumps of metal at all. Most of what they're made of are composite materials that are pretty much impossible to recycle, or at least not very economic. There are probably some precious minerals in the bits that could be easily pulled out like circuit boards but the actual frames were never designed to be recycled or indeed dismantled; I assume they thought the enemy would do that for them.

Jon

Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:54 pm
Occasionally has a life

trigen_killer wrote:
If this is the Davis Monthan Airforce base, then there are two different locations and two different classes of aircraft.

The location is part USAF base and part private scrapyard. There appears to be hundreds and hundreds of aircraft from the USAF, the USN and other US military outfits. The working ones are (as noted) stored here because the environment is pretty friendly for them

There is the famous B52 graveyard and the guillotine that chopped them up. It's one heck of a place to view with Google Earth.

And good riddance to the Sifter impersonator

Yes, I remember seeing the guillotine thing on some Jeremy Clarkson programme ages ago - probably Extreme machines or something.

Depends if it’s an air brick or not, I suppose.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:18 pm
Spends far too much time on here

I remember seeing it on Mythbusters when they were testing the "chicken shot out of a cannon" theory. They basically chopped the front half of a plane off using a guillotine. I remember Adam wanting on in his backyard :lol:

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Incidentally, what happened to Mythbusters? Haven't seen it around recently.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next