Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
What to do? 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

jonbwfc wrote:
Amnesia10 wrote:
I make my own bread now and it is so much cheaper, than a loaf in a supermarket, even with their economies of scale. I can make a loaf for just over 90p whereas a similar tasting loaf would be closer to double that.

Would I be correct in assuming you use a breadmaker?

Jon

I make my own bread by hand :D

Although I missed this week as I ran out of time over the weekend.

Will make one on Sunday though.

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

Amnesia10 wrote:
I think that the solution is to break the problem down into manageable parts and deal with it that way. It can also be much cheaper to make them yourself than buy them ready made. Scones are £2 for a pack of 4 in the local Tesco express and they must be a fraction of that to make. Even baking does not add much to my electricity bill so they must be making a big profit from peoples laziness. I make my own bread now and it is so much cheaper, than a loaf in a supermarket, even with their economies of scale. I can make a loaf for just over 90p whereas a similar tasting loaf would be closer to double that.

That only works if you don't place any value on your time. Even at minimum wage levels I'm guessing you spend 10 minutes making a loaf...

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:31 pm
Profile WWW

BigRedX wrote:
Amnesia10 wrote:
I think that the solution is to break the problem down into manageable parts and deal with it that way. It can also be much cheaper to make them yourself than buy them ready made. Scones are £2 for a pack of 4 in the local Tesco express and they must be a fraction of that to make. Even baking does not add much to my electricity bill so they must be making a big profit from peoples laziness. I make my own bread now and it is so much cheaper, than a loaf in a supermarket, even with their economies of scale. I can make a loaf for just over 90p whereas a similar tasting loaf would be closer to double that.

That only works if you don't place any value on your time. Even at minimum wage levels I'm guessing you spend 10 minutes making a loaf...

That would be the case if it was a chore to do. I actually quite enjoy doing it and it doesn't take too much time to do. Most of the time is spent waiting for it to prove or to rise etc...

JJW009 wrote:

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

BigRedX wrote:
Amnesia10 wrote:

I can accept that but I quite enjoy it, and if your time is so valuable who do you get in to cook for you? ;)

"You are gifted. Mine is bordering on seven seconds."

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg5MzczNTk

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/wwwx404couk-21

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:36 pm

""Sehnsucht" in German, similar to "Saudades" in Portuguese. It is a lifelong yearning or desire that is highly unlikely to be fulfilled, the feeling of intensely missing. Even when you do fulfill such inconsolable longing, it is often bittersweet. It is more complex than desire because it comes with both positive and negative feelings, and the person often don't know what it is, who it is or where it is. Mixed with a feeling of nostalgia .. argh, Impossible to translate. It is pretty much what C.S. Lewis's writing is all about.

for Germans, they pretty much understand that it is something unattainable. In a way, they are more at peace with unfulfilled life.

Every time I learn a new language, I feel like it changes the way I think!"

I read that and thought of this thread.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Fogmeister wrote:
Most of the time is spent waiting for it to prove or to rise etc...

I am going to be pedantic and ask if you do actually spend any time waiting for it to rise or prove, or if you just leave it to do whatever it does and do other things in the meantime...

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:34 pm
Profile WWW

John_Vella wrote:
Fogmeister wrote:
Most of the time is spent waiting for it to prove or to rise etc...

I am going to be pedantic and ask if you do actually spend any time waiting for it to rise or prove, or if you just leave it to do whatever it does and do other things in the meantime...

LOL, no, I normally go about other things, work, washing, etc... :D

JJW009 wrote:

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:35 pm
Profile WWW

Home-made bread is fun to do because there's no end of variations. I might make mini-pizza, a focaccia or two and some curry-pan from one batch.

I still buy sliced bread though. It keeps for longer. I find home made goes stale because it doesn't have the "special chemistry" you find in the bagged loaves.

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

On the macaroon front, I've had them at a five star afternoon tea from a proper pastry chef where everything was to die for and I just felt the macaroons where a bit meh. Everything else was outstanding.

A Mac User.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:10 pm
Legend

jonbwfc wrote:
Amnesia10 wrote:
I make my own bread now and it is so much cheaper, than a loaf in a supermarket, even with their economies of scale. I can make a loaf for just over 90p whereas a similar tasting loaf would be closer to double that.

Would I be correct in assuming you use a breadmaker?

Jon

Wrong. :lol: I use my Kenwood Chef to mix the dough. It came with a dough hook and so it would be stupid not to use it. Then when it is mixed I stick it in bread tin in the airing cupboard. The problem is remembering to take it out, but setting up the halogen oven and then doing other stuff in the kitchen helps, otherwise I forget it is rising. Once it has risen I then stick it in the halogen oven, because it turns itself off it is safe for me to use. I have to wrap it in foil because the first attempts were great on top and uncooked below. After the 30 minutes of cooking I unwrap it and brown the top.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 am
What's a life?

Amnesia10 wrote:
Wrong. :lol: I use my Kenwood Chef to mix the dough. It came with a dough hook and so it would be stupid not to use it. Then when it is mixed I stick it in bread tin in the airing cupboard. The problem is remembering to take it out, but setting up the halogen oven and then doing other stuff in the kitchen helps, otherwise I forget it is rising.

This was what I was wondering. Breadmaking is a fairly long process (as has been discussed) and I was wondering how you dealt with that given your particular situation.

Course traditionally you'd leave it to rise twice with a short knead in between. If you're only doing it once that would make it easier to manage.

Jon

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:27 am
Officially Mrs saspro

jonbwfc wrote:
Amnesia10 wrote:
Wrong. :lol: I use my Kenwood Chef to mix the dough. It came with a dough hook and so it would be stupid not to use it. Then when it is mixed I stick it in bread tin in the airing cupboard. The problem is remembering to take it out, but setting up the halogen oven and then doing other stuff in the kitchen helps, otherwise I forget it is rising.

This was what I was wondering. Breadmaking is a fairly long process (as has been discussed) and I was wondering how you dealt with that given your particular situation.

Course traditionally you'd leave it to rise twice with a short knead in between. If you're only doing it once that would make it easier to manage.

Jon

I like hand kneading bread, it's good to do when you're a bit tense :)
Have you made Brioche or enriched doughs yet?

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:19 am
Profile WWW

TheFrenchun wrote:
I like hand kneading bread, it's good to do when you're a bit tense :)

I've got a mate who makes pizzas for a living, he is the most laid back person I know!

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Legend

jonbwfc wrote:
Amnesia10 wrote:

Jon

The memory does make it problematic but I never attempt anything unless it is safe. It takes me ages to find a way round some problems. The loaf has overflowed a few times but I just pour it back into the tin. It did not seem to effect the taste. If I do it twice and leave it in the mixing bowl it would be harder to overflow. I might try that next time.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4