Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
Brexit Britain 

MrStevenRogers wrote:
the referendum the largest and biggest turn out for a vote in the history of this country.
You mean the one that wasn't legally binding? The one where the general public was openly lied to?
You're just condoning all the lies that were told, the hatred that they have brought forth and the harm that this is all causing.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Fri May 31, 2019 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Interestingly the Greens did well over here. The AfD, thankfully, didn't do anywhere near as well as had been feared. The old east states voted heavily for AfD, which was expected, but the western states voted heavily for Green/B90 Bündnis.

There was a huge blow-up for the majortiy CDU party. They have been slow to react over the last couple of years and a bunch of YouTubers and Influencers took to the "air waves" to protest against the CDU; their motto was everybody should go and vote, but not for CDU. The CDU leader then made the situation worse by claiming they should be banned from such propaganda!

The CDU had their lowest ever result, as a consequence.

Interestingly, we had EU and state (Lower Saxony) elections on the same day. The EU election had around 40 parties to choose from, the State election had CDU, Green and 2 independents. Interestingly, no AfD and none of the major parties (SPD, FDP etc.) stood for election.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:25 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

MrStevenRogers wrote:
e results not just of the referendum (leave or remain) but the EU elections. not forgetting 2 GE between. the referendum the largest and biggest turn out for a vote in the history of this country.

Incorrect. It was not.

Turn out for the EU referendum was 72.2%
https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/ ... -announced

The turn out for the 1992 general election was 77.2%

1974 GE - 78.7%

1950 GE - 83.9%

Source:
https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/ ... context=en

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/ ... rnout+1997 (this is an Excel document with the data in it)

In terms of % of the eligible electorate, the EU referendum was lower than those figures, noting that the population has increased between 1950 and 2016. Anything looking at the behaviour of populations will have to include the caveat that “more people did X in 2016 than they did doing the same in 1950 because the population increased”.

So, as the % figure is the one banded about by the leavers to justify their claim that the 2016 was the biggest turnout ever ,the 1950 general election had a bigger turnout based on that criterion.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:06 am
Spends far too much time on here

as i stated 'cult remain' (smile) ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:43 pm
What's a life?

Oh dear, that is the final nail in the coffin for Brexit... Trump thinks the UK should make a hard Brexit.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:39 am
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
Oh dear, that is the final nail in the coffin for Brexit... Trump thinks the UK should make a hard Brexit.

the referendum result “By constituency 406 Leave 242 Remain” (UK uses first past the post) please wait for the next British General Election, the result maybe a bit of a surprise, just like the EU elections within the UK recently and Thank You President Trump ...

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:43 am
Occasionally has a life

Absolutely hits the nail on the head.

(Yes the clip was posted on twitter - Yes it was originally from a BBC program. Doesn't make it any less true.)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1137689381639204865

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:36 pm
What's a life?

didgeman wrote:
Absolutely hits the nail on the head.

(Yes the clip was posted on twitter - Yes it was originally from a BBC program. Doesn't make it any less true.)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1137689381639204865

Yup. During the time of the campaign, NO ONE addressed the reality of what leaving the EU would actually mean. No one said what would need to be docoupled, how entwined we were. No one. I even asked on this forum, hoping our Brexit supporters would enlighten me. They could not. They still can not.

The alarm bells started ringing very loudly when Theresa May included EurAtom in her Article 50 letter. Hang on, that wasn’t even mentioned in the campaign, yet we’re pulling out of a system which allows the easy travel of radioactive materials that are used for medical purposes.

And here we are now, rudderless, we have no primeminister with any vision or authority, we have a Tory government more instsrested in its own survival than the damage it’s doing to the country, and we have what industry is left collapsing around us. We have until the end of October to sort this mess out, and that’s being taken up with anything but. Leadership contests, summer recess, conference season.

"Do not waste this time" said Donald Tusk.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:33 am
Doesn't have much of a life

It was always like this. At least in living memory. Make a mess then realise you've made a mess. Make it worse and if that doesn't work, make it worse still. Until the electorate realise and vote in the opposition. Who are then faced with an impossible task. They make a fair fist of it, repair some, not all of the damage. The others then berate the current incumbent for their failures and we get the original charlatans back to further line their nests. This is where we find ourselves after many iterations. No way to run a country, but a great way for a few individuals to get stupid rich. Yes stupid, that's you, me and them.

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 am
Legend

E. F. Benson wrote:
It was always like this. At least in living memory. Make a mess then realise you've made a mess. Make it worse and if that doesn't work, make it worse still. Until the electorate realise and vote in the opposition. Who are then faced with an impossible task. They make a fair fist of it, repair some, not all of the damage. The others then berate the current incumbent for their failures and we get the original charlatans back to further line their nests. This is where we find ourselves after many iterations. No way to run a country, but a great way for a few individuals to get stupid rich. Yes stupid, that's you, me and them.

That's certainly my experience. I'm 37.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:00 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

paulzolo wrote:
Yup. During the time of the campaign, NO ONE addressed the reality of what leaving the EU would actually mean. No one said what would need to be docoupled, how entwined we were. No one. I even asked on this forum, hoping our Brexit supporters would enlighten me. They could not. They still can not.

When the posh boys announced there would be a referendum, I declared myself cautiously pro-europe, inasmuch as I understood the benefits of our membership but was keen not to surrender more sovereignty than we already had.

When folk started rattling on about voting Leave, I asked literally dozens, online and in person, to point to a single tangible benefit of leaving that wasn't massively out-weighed by the cost of doing so. Not once have I heard ANYONE even attempt a coherent reply. Not once.

Our very own class clown was a perfect example - just bullsh!t replies full of bluster and pipe smoke, with zero substance. Challenging those replies and pressing for a real argument only produced more bullsh!t. I'm sorry to say, it has been a common tactic among ardent Leave voters - little more than a veil to drape over irrational xenophobia.

We're charging forward with another class clown likely to claim 10 Downing St. One who has already said we MUST leave by the October deadline, but claims not to want a No Deal exit. What does that leave? May's deal that the house rejected three times. The EU have no interest in offering anything better, but the Tory plan seems to be one of brinkmanship - threaten no deal in the hilariously futile hope they'll cave at the eleventh hour.

Johnson is a bloody dangerous animal, hiding behind the mask of a public schoolboy buffoon - he'll set us back decades.

I've already put our class clown on my ignore list, so I never see any of his drivel again. What a pity I can't do the same with Boris Johnson.

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:37 pm

Spreadie wrote:
paulzolo wrote:

When the posh boys announced there would be a referendum, I declared myself cautiously pro-europe, inasmuch as I understood the benefits of our membership but was keen not to surrender more sovereignty than we already had.

When folk started rattling on about voting Leave, I asked literally dozens, online and in person, to point to a single tangible benefit of leaving that wasn't massively out-weighed by the cost of doing so. Not once have I heard ANYONE even attempt a coherent reply. Not once.

Our very own class clown was a perfect example - just bullsh!t replies full of bluster and pipe smoke, with zero substance. Challenging those replies and pressing for a real argument only produced more bullsh!t. I'm sorry to say, it has been a common tactic among ardent Leave voters - little more than a veil to drape over irrational xenophobia.

We're charging forward with another class clown likely to claim 10 Downing St. One who has already said we MUST leave by the October deadline, but claims not to want a No Deal exit. What does that leave? May's deal that the house rejected three times. The EU have no interest in offering anything better, but the Tory plan seems to be one of brinkmanship - threaten no deal in the hilariously futile hope they'll cave at the eleventh hour.

Johnson is a bloody dangerous animal, hiding behind the mask of a public schoolboy buffoon - he'll set us back decades.

I've already put our class clown on my ignore list, so I never see any of his drivel again. What a pity I can't do the same with Boris Johnson.

oh dear, cult remain with there hands over their eyes and fingers in their ears humming la la la because they cant tolerate the majority winning, not just in this referendum but others also. no other view point counts, only that of cult remain. as cult remain always knows best, even by trying too undermine the democratic vote by any and all means possible thereby undermining democracy itself. cult remain live in such a la la land that wish to force that la la land on the majority against the majorities wishes. cult remains fallacy, is of, we know better then you, thats cult remains version of democracy. oh dear ain't you in for a surprise ...

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:29 pm
What's a life?

No, "cult remain" asking for good reasons why "cult leave" thinks leaving is better.

You just made his argument for him. Instead of calmly providing tangible facts about why leaving is positive and better than staying, you just attack "cult remain".

The problem is, there are so many good arguments for remaining, but there are no obvious arguments for why leaving would be better and leavers rarely even try and provide any valid arguments.

Can you name 5 good reasons why leaving will be socially and economically better for the UK? That is not a goad for another rant, I am genuinely interested, what are the reasons why leaving will be better, in your opinion? How will it improve the UK economy and BoP?

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:47 am
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
No, "cult remain" asking for good reasons why "cult leave" thinks leaving is better.

You just made his argument for him. Instead of calmly providing tangible facts about why leaving is positive and better than staying, you just attack "cult remain".

The problem is, there are so many good arguments for remaining, but there are no obvious arguments for why leaving would be better and leavers rarely even try and provide any valid arguments.

Can you name 5 good reasons why leaving will be socially and economically better for the UK? That is not a goad for another rant, I am genuinely interested, what are the reasons why leaving will be better, in your opinion? How will it improve the UK economy and BoP?

sovereignty
own laws with no out side interference ie. eu courts
trade freely with who we like without eu interference, own trade deals
no more free movement and the ability to control all immigration
no more massive payments to an un-elected body ie. eu

are they good enough there are more ...

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:22 am
Site Admin

sovereignty We already have this
own laws with no out side interference ie. eu courts The EU courts only step in when a law is unjust or unfair
trade freely with who we like without eu interference, own trade deals We benefit from hundreds of trade deals the EU has & we were part of the negotiations for these deals
no more free movement and the ability to control all immigration We have control over immigration, FOM states that you EU citizens coming to the UK must have health insurance & a way of supporting themselves, within 3 months if they aren't working or have sufficient savings we can ask them to leave. The UK government chose to not impliment this
no more massive payments to an un-elected body ie. eu We just voted on this, so they're not unelected.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next