Reply to topic  [ 671 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
Brexit Britain 
Author Message
What's a life?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 11999
Reply with quote
Quote:
Boris Johnson quits to add to pressure on May over Brexit
Boris Johnson has resigned as Foreign Secretary amid a growing political crisis over the UK's Brexit strategy.

He is the second senior cabinet minister to quit within hours following Brexit Secretary David Davis's exit.

His departure came shortly before Theresa May is due to address Parliament about her new Brexit plan, which has angered many Tory MPs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44770847

_________________
All the best,
Paul
brataccas wrote:
your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation


Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:34 pm
Profile
What's a life?
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:21 am
Posts: 12571
Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Reply with quote
She'll probably be glad to be rid of him.

_________________
pcernie wrote:
'I'm going to snort this off your arse - for the benefit of government statistics, of course.'


Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:44 pm
Posts: 3050
Reply with quote
and now it starts to get interesting ...

_________________
Hope this helps . . . Steve ...

Nothing known travels faster than the speed of light, except bad news ...
Dell Inspiron 3252. Intel N3700 CPU-GPU. 8GB RAM. 1TB HDD. Win 10 Home ...


Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:31 pm
Profile
What's a life?
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:21 am
Posts: 12571
Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Reply with quote
Now it starts to get scary.

_________________
pcernie wrote:
'I'm going to snort this off your arse - for the benefit of government statistics, of course.'


Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:18 pm
Posts: 270
Reply with quote
Boris Johnson lied about EU safety regulation in his resignation letter

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-boris-johnson-lied-about-eu-safety-regulation-in-his-resignation-letter

"I would vote to stay in the single market," Johnson told Sky News in 2013.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-single-market-brexit-campaign-customs-union-2018-1

The man is a master of self promotion .. and loyal to only himself. Good riddance.

_________________
eurotech


Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:49 pm
Profile
Spends far too much time on here

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:44 pm
Posts: 3050
Reply with quote
l3v1ck wrote:
Now it starts to get scary.


the games afoot, must assuredly afoot ...

_________________
Hope this helps . . . Steve ...

Nothing known travels faster than the speed of light, except bad news ...
Dell Inspiron 3252. Intel N3700 CPU-GPU. 8GB RAM. 1TB HDD. Win 10 Home ...


Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:27 pm
Profile
What's a life?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 11999
Reply with quote
didgeman wrote:
Boris Johnson lied about EU safety regulation in his resignation letter

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-boris-johnson-lied-about-eu-safety-regulation-in-his-resignation-letter

"I would vote to stay in the single market," Johnson told Sky News in 2013.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-single-market-brexit-campaign-customs-union-2018-1

The man is a master of self promotion .. and loyal to only himself. Good riddance.

He knows that playing a buffoon-like character on camera is what people like. It’s wonderful misdirection. Thing is, Jacob Rees-Mogg is doing much the same.

_________________
All the best,
Paul
brataccas wrote:
your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation


Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:52 am
Profile
What's a life?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:25 pm
Posts: 10438
Location: Bramsche
Reply with quote
Interesting. Germany is looking at having compulsory blind-spot monitors fitted to the cabs of HGVs to help reduce cyclist deaths (in our case it is a "think of the children" as a spate of mothers and children have been killed or injured lately). They certainly aren't waiting for new EU legislation.

_________________
"Do you know what this is? Hmm? No, I can see you do not. You have that vacant look in your eyes, which says hold my head to your ear, you will hear the sea!" - Londo Molari

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246


Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:28 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:06 pm
Posts: 6292
Location: IoW
Reply with quote
big_D wrote:
Interesting. Germany is looking at having compulsory blind-spot monitors fitted to the cabs of HGVs to help reduce cyclist deaths (in our case it is a "think of the children" as a spate of mothers and children have been killed or injured lately). They certainly aren't waiting for new EU legislation.

Or maybe teach kids not to ride up the inside of HGVs?

_________________
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!


Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:26 pm
Profile
Has a life
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:44 pm
Posts: 82
Location: Polesworth
Reply with quote
Indeed.

Cyclists ought to be forced to pass a proficiency test and carry insurance as well as contribute towards the cost of providing routes for them.

_________________
I cannot remember the last time I forgot something ;)


Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:36 pm
Profile
I haven't seen my friends in so long
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:46 pm
Posts: 9823
Reply with quote
big_D wrote:
Interesting. Germany is looking at having compulsory blind-spot monitors fitted to the cabs of HGVs

I'd like them to do that for any HGV that travels in the UK. There've been several instances where I'm in the middle lane of a motorway (or outside lane of a dual carriageway), overtaking a lorry that then decides to indicate and pull out into my lane. Braking would mean a crushed car so I accelerate out of trouble. Blind spot cameras (either side and at the front) would be helpful IMO.

Burn_IT wrote:
Cyclists ought to be forced to pass a proficiency test and carry insurance as well as contribute towards the cost of providing routes for them.

I remember when I was about 8 and had a bike, and some group came to each class, asked who rode a bike and gave out "workbooks" - that had information on cycling, safety etc and then had puzzles or quizzes that related to the information. In this day and age, with increasing numbers of vehicles on the roads, improving cycling proficiency would help. Not all cyclists use hand signals to tell me what they're up to.

_________________
Image
He fights for the users.


Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:22 am
Profile
What's a life?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:25 pm
Posts: 10438
Location: Bramsche
Reply with quote
Spreadie wrote:
big_D wrote:
Interesting. Germany is looking at having compulsory blind-spot monitors fitted to the cabs of HGVs to help reduce cyclist deaths (in our case it is a "think of the children" as a spate of mothers and children have been killed or injured lately). They certainly aren't waiting for new EU legislation.

Or maybe teach kids not to ride up the inside of HGVs?

In this case, it is has always been cyclists riding through a green light, where they have right of way and the HGV turning right across the cycle path and not seeing the cyclists - and the kids have usually been either riding with their parents or on child seats on the bikes.

Burn_IT wrote:
Cyclists ought to be forced to pass a proficiency test and carry insurance as well as contribute towards the cost of providing routes for them.

You do have to pass a proficiency test, as was the case, when I was at school in the UK, and they generally have at least liability insurance.

_________________
"Do you know what this is? Hmm? No, I can see you do not. You have that vacant look in your eyes, which says hold my head to your ear, you will hear the sea!" - Londo Molari

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246


Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:23 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:21 am
Posts: 12571
Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Reply with quote
Go to any major UK city during rush hour, and you'll see plenty of cyclists ignoring red traffic light.

_________________
pcernie wrote:
'I'm going to snort this off your arse - for the benefit of government statistics, of course.'


Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:42 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 11999
Reply with quote
big_D wrote:
Spreadie wrote:
big_D wrote:
Interesting. Germany is looking at having compulsory blind-spot monitors fitted to the cabs of HGVs to help reduce cyclist deaths (in our case it is a "think of the children" as a spate of mothers and children have been killed or injured lately). They certainly aren't waiting for new EU legislation.

Or maybe teach kids not to ride up the inside of HGVs?

In this case, it is has always been cyclists riding through a green light, where they have right of way and the HGV turning right across the cycle path and not seeing the cyclists - and the kids have usually been either riding with their parents or on child seats on the bikes.

Burn_IT wrote:
Cyclists ought to be forced to pass a proficiency test and carry insurance as well as contribute towards the cost of providing routes for them.

You do have to pass a proficiency test, as was the case, when I was at school in the UK, and they generally have at least liability insurance.


No you don‘t, and no you didn’t. What was called the Cycling Proficiency Test was never mandatory, and it’s not a requirement for riding on the road. Neither is it’s successor, the Bikeability scheme.

_________________
All the best,
Paul
brataccas wrote:
your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation


Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:09 pm
Profile
Spends far too much time on here

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:44 pm
Posts: 3050
Reply with quote
Quote:
The government has narrowly avoided a defeat on its Customs Bill after agreeing to Brexiteers' demands to change its wording.

It twice survived by just three votes after a backlash from pro-EU Tories who accused Theresa May of "caving in" to the party's Eurosceptic MPs.


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44854597

the EU will reject it which leads us back to no deal ...

_________________
Hope this helps . . . Steve ...

Nothing known travels faster than the speed of light, except bad news ...
Dell Inspiron 3252. Intel N3700 CPU-GPU. 8GB RAM. 1TB HDD. Win 10 Home ...


Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:47 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 671 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.