Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Driving test: Learners must be able to use sat navs 
Official forum cat lady

pcernie wrote:
Driving test: Learners must be able to use sat navs - BBC News
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39594852

My first thought is... I don't know anyone who owns a sat nav any more :? , plus I've seen companies giving them away as an incentive or selling them for £30!

Secondly, I don't drive, so I'd be curious as to whether those who do think this all makes sense.

What do they use if they don't own a sat nav?

Do you class map apps on smartphones as sat navs as I do?

I'd be more inclined to get new drivers to learn how to use maps as young people are OK with technology but lack in old school skills.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed May 03, 2017 1:28 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

My experience of using Google Maps as a satnav, is that for city driving it is too slow to respond, and unless you have a second person doing the navigating with the phone for help, you are generally past any turning before the app tells you to turn.

Wed May 03, 2017 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

Over here is so small you use Google Maps and follow the signs when you're close! But we're talking 6 small counties here.

+1 X.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Wed May 03, 2017 3:04 pm
What's a life?

As I said before, I managed a couple of decades without a satnav and I found I get lost more when following the satnav than when I follow road signs...

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed May 03, 2017 3:17 pm
Profile ICQ
Official forum cat lady

I use the Apple maps and 99.99% of the time they get me exactly where I want to be and I don't need anyone else to read it.

When compared to other sites such as AA/RAC they are more reliable too and show when traffic is busy.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed May 03, 2017 3:24 pm
Official forum cat lady

pcernie wrote:
Over here is so small you use Google Maps and follow the signs when you're close! But we're talking 6 small counties here.

+1 X.

Sop why don't people you know have sat navs? lol

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed May 03, 2017 3:24 pm
Legend

oceanicitl wrote:
pcernie wrote:

+1 X.

Sop why don't people you know have sat navs? lol

They used to! What I'm getting at is not many people seem to use actual sat navs anymore. No need to maintain one really with Google Maps.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Wed May 03, 2017 3:52 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
BigRedX wrote:
My experience of using Google Maps as a satnav, is that for city driving it is too slow to respond, and unless you have a second person doing the navigating with the phone for help, you are generally past any turning before the app tells you to turn.

Yep. By the time it tells me to exit a roundabout, I've already exited the roundabout.

Wed May 03, 2017 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

That is the biggest problem. Often, when driving in town, I look at a junction and think, "I need to turn here." I then look at the satnav / Google Maps and they say carry straight on for another 50M. 5M later, as I am in the middle of the junction and it is too late to turn, it suddenly says I missed my turning and starts to calculate a new route...

If only I had followed my intuition instead of following the directions of the satnav, I would have saved a lot of time and stress.

Gernerally I look at a map before I set off and only turn the satnav on as a last resort.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu May 04, 2017 4:45 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

I've happily used my car's OEM satnav for the past 8-9 years. One of the features it has is an overlay window that can be adjusted to various things eg compass direction, how many miles/metres to next junction or turn. But it can also list the next three roads/turnpoints, along with distance and estimated time to get there. It means I can look out for the road names in real life and correlate with the map and the list.

Thu May 04, 2017 7:11 am
Official forum cat lady

l3v1ck wrote:
BigRedX wrote:

Yep. By the time it tells me to exit a roundabout, I've already exited the roundabout.

Obviously google maps are not to the same standard as the apple ones :roll:

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu May 04, 2017 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2