Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Duke Nukem Forever?.. Never! 
Occasionally has a life

3D Realms, creators of Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein, have gone under... due to not having any money...

link

anyone surprised by this? personally I'm surprised they survived this long...

Thu May 07, 2009 12:22 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Just read this elsewhere. 12 years isn't quite forever, but it's a hellofalong development time!

DN3D was the first 3D FPS I ever got into to. I think I still have the floppies somewhere :?

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Thu May 07, 2009 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

Duke Nukem was a relic of a bygone age where gaming was rooted firmly in the cultural underground. It was dumb, simple, violent, funny – to a particular demographic (myself included) – and pioneering. It is still to this day an enjoyable experience and deserves to go down in the gaming FPS canon as an early great. However, now in the age of the mass-market, culturally acceptable casual gamer – where the Wii and its plethora of middle-of-the-road fare rule the roost – it is no surprise that a dinosaur of a title like Duke was finally put down.

The frat-boy, adolescent, 'John Romero Is About To Make You His Bitch....Suck it down' attitude and mentality that had once been a boon for the title never disappeared, as was painfully obvious in the ridiculously awful teaser trailer they released where all there was on screen for two and a half minutes was rock music and the Duke Nukem logo spinning round. Can anyone remember? It was a disgusting middle finger to any loyal fans who still remained hopeful for the sequel they were never going to get.

Of course we may never find out the full history of the development of Duke Nukem Forever (although I would pay good money for that book) and I among every other blogger, forumite and hack have no real authority to comment on the seeming mass incompetence of 3D Realms, or to lazily dismiss twelve years of development with a "Huh huh huh the title was self prophesising, it should have been called Duke Nukem Never! Huh huh huh". By doing that lessons will never be learned and more games – albeit hard to see any that will match Duke Nukem Forever – will run into the same issues and will be canned.

Yes, it is a shame that Duke Nukem Forever will never be released and I hope that whatever they have done they release to the public for free, or at a reduced rate. However, the age of Duke Nukem finished when Half Life was released in 1998 and it is about time that publishers, journalists and game developers realised this.

Fri May 08, 2009 8:44 am
Doesn't have much of a life

So, err, how long are we saying it'll take before the pre-alpha version is leaked onto a Torrent site then? :lol:

Kimmotalk is where all the cool people hang.

Fri May 08, 2009 11:20 am
Spends far too much time on here

I always thought it suitable that the initials of Duke Nukem Forever were the same as Did Not Finish....

Fri May 08, 2009 4:26 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Maybe they should GPL what they've done so far and let the community finish it off, may actually get released then!

Fri May 08, 2009 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

just found this GameTrailers

Dell 2407, Optoma 720p projector,
Auzentech X-fi Prelude, Logitech Z-5450.
Facebook, Twitter.

Mon May 11, 2009 5:27 pm
Has a life

joe-amnesiac wrote:
just found this GameTrailers

I have just watched the footage and I have to say it looked ropey, especially the boss fights. Surely this is not the fruit of 12 years work?

Tue May 12, 2009 10:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]