Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Bioshock....worst install process EVER!? 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

OK, so I've just bought Bioshock for £8 (yes yes, when you're done pointing and laughing at how late I am in buying it I will continue).

Anyways, so I goes to installs it and what's this? I *HAVE* to download the latest patch to complete the install process!? WTF!?

And to make matters worse, it took no less than 7 attempts, yes, SEVEN, before it completed the process without failing. I am NOT looking forward to having to reinstall this game when Windows 7 is released and I wipe my drive(s).

Mind you, I'm not looking forward to re-installing all my Steam stuff either. I think I might back it up for once.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:43 am
Doesn't have much of a life

Bought Bioshock on Steam when it first came out - installation was painless, thankfully, but I understand changes were made to the copy protection post-release to make it less draconian.

Put your Steam folder on a separate drive if you get chance. You only have to reinstall the client then.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:59 am
Profile WWW

This isn't Steam, this is DVD.

I'm trying to get a few games on DVD, because at least I have something to play then when I have no/crap internets.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:29 am
Site Admin

Linux_User wrote:

I'm trying to get a few games on DVD, because at least I have something to play then when I have no/crap internets.

Damnit, I was going to install it again on my new gaming machine.
Cheers for the warning

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

gavomatic57 wrote:
Bought Bioshock on Steam when it first came out

When you mention Steam, it should always end in "ftw" :)

I too installed over Steam when it was cheap last Christmas. I'm now waiting for Anno1404 to reduce on Steam, as it's currently £34 compared to £24 on Play :(

Incidentally, it's worth pointing out here that Valve have no control over the third party stuff for sale.....basically about 95% of their inventory....as it is priced by the original distrubtor, not Valve. I have always agreed that Steam is waaaaay to expensive, especially as bad as it was before prices in GBP; £55 for COD4 anyone? Didn't think so :roll:

My Flickr
WWFSMD?

Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:53 pm
Profile WWW

Linux_User wrote:

I know, but the last line of your original post was about Steam. Also, you can still access your Steam games without an internet connection - it's called Offline mode! Was a godsend last time I moved and BT thought it was acceptable to leave us without phone and broadband for nearly a month, despite giving them a month's notice that we were moving.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:50 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, it takes ages but its well worth it.

Bioshock is awesome, up until the ending which has to be the worst ending in all history. :D

Kimmotalk is where all the cool people hang.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:09 pm

gavomatic57 wrote:
Linux_User wrote:

I know, but the last line of your original post was about Steam. Also, you can still access your Steam games without an internet connection - it's called Offline mode! Was a godsend last time I moved and BT thought it was acceptable to leave us without phone and broadband for nearly a month, despite giving them a month's notice that we were moving.

Yeah, but that doesn't help me when I don't have them installed! Also, offline mode was ruined for me once when Steam decided it needed to update the client, so when I started Steam and it couldn't update (after sitting on 0% for an eternity) it would just quit!

Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:49 pm

bally199 wrote:
Yeah, it takes ages but its well worth it.

Bioshock is awesome, up until the ending which has to be the worst ending in all history. :D

Cheesy 80's Sega arcade endings! Not an inspired move that one!

Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

Linux_User wrote:

Games..Activate a product on steam

Worth a shot to see if it will work

Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:27 pm

finlay666 wrote:
Linux_User wrote:

Games..Activate a product on steam

Worth a shot to see if it will work

Bioshock isn't on the list unfortunately. Unreal tournament 3 is to my surprise, but Bioshock isn't.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:10 am
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

gavomatic57 wrote:
Bioshock isn't on the list unfortunately. Unreal tournament 3 is to my surprise, but Bioshock isn't.

Might try it on my UT3 disc then as it's a US disc (limited edition tin was $10 when I was over last year) and see if it works

Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]