Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
Elite: Dangerous gets Docking & Ship Outfitting video 
What's a life?

Skweee!

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:29 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

jonbwfc wrote:
Hehe :). I'm not 100% certain but..

1) Sopwith Camel
2) Bristol Beaufort (that one is a definite iffy one)
3) Gloster Meteor
4) Avro Buccaneer
5) Concorde (obvs)
6) Harrier Mark 1
7) Cobra Mark 3 (from the original Elite game)

(4) might actually be an Su-25 Frogfoot, although I can't imagine why they'd use a Soviet era aircraft, the point seems to be 'all these craft were designed in Britain'.

Think the 2nd one is a Spitfire

Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:48 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Just pre-ordered the game. Just time to finish Skyrim and then start of this if it goes live on time

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:55 am

double post

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Last edited by hifidelity2 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:56 am

It's looking awesome.

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:17 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

JohnSheridan wrote:
jonbwfc wrote:
Hehe :). I'm not 100% certain but..

1) Sopwith Camel
2) Bristol Beaufort (that one is a definite iffy one)
3) Gloster Meteor
4) Avro Buccaneer
5) Concorde (obvs)
6) Harrier Mark 1
7) Cobra Mark 3 (from the original Elite game)

(4) might actually be an Su-25 Frogfoot, although I can't imagine why they'd use a Soviet era aircraft, the point seems to be 'all these craft were designed in Britain'.

Think the 2nd one is a Spitfire

NOT spit

look more like a lysander

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_Lysander
#

Gaming's Elder Statesman & Evil Consultant

Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:59 pm

Yeah spitfire had rounder wings than that I think.

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:01 pm
Profile WWW

No Offline mode in Elite

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30097229

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode - Q&A
From David Braben:

Each of the “Elite” games pushed the boundaries of the technology available. With Elite: Dangerous a major new feature is playing online, and we are pushing that hard now. Offline support was not one of our original aims, though we did believe we could support it at the start of the project. We do a great deal of processing in the cloud, and this benefits everyone playing. We had considered that an online connection is a reasonable pre-requisite for a game delivered online. I am really sorry this has upset people, but we have a strong, consistent vision that we do not want to compromise.

Below we have collected common questions from backers and the press and our answers so we can be clear about the situation.

Can I still play in single player mode?
Yes. Some people have thought that dropping 100% offline play means there wouldn’t be a single-player mode - to be clear, the single-player game is already there, but it requires a low bandwidth online connection for the reasons we explained.
I’ve even played on a laptop using a tethered connection on the train.

When was the offline mode dropped?
The decision was made recently, and was not made lightly as we have been looking for ways to satisfy everyone. We announced shortly after we concluded that it wasn’t possible to create an offline mode without unacceptably compromising the game.

Offline-only support was a requested feature during the Kickstarter – why was it dropped?
Back during the Kickstarter, we were clear about the vision, to make a phenomenal new sequel to Elite in an online world, which we believe we are about to deliver. At the time we believed we could also offer a good single player experience, and base an acceptable offline-only experience off that. As development has progressed, it has become clear that this last assumption is not the case.

Why wait so long to announce this?
In retrospect we should have shared the fact that we were struggling with this aspect with the community, but we were still trying to find a solution. As features were implemented, for the best results we chose to prioritise delivery of the online single and multiplayer experiences, with a view to providing the offline version later in development. We had to make a decision for the good of the game, and that is what we did.

What would you lose in offline mode?
We have developed a multi-player game with an unfolding story involving the players, and groups collaborating with specific objectives and taking account of all player’s behaviour. This is what the game is about. Without this it would not be the rich gaming experience that we will deliver, and would be a great disappointment to all players.

Any offline experience would be fundamentally empty. We could write a separate mission system to allow a limited series of fixed missions, but that would still not be a compelling game, and is just the first step in the mountain of work that would be required.

Do you now consider Elite: Dangerous to be an MMO?
Technically, it has always been. There are already over 100,000 people playing in the same world. We believe that always-online entertainment is already a reality for the majority. We are delivering a truly huge game using the best technology and designed to stand the test of time, played for many years to come and still be relevant.

What do you say to people who backed Elite with an offline experience in mind?
Many of the conversations we have had during development focussed on backers wanting to play the game without the downside of online – griefing especially – ie a single player experience. We considered this to be the main issue and focussed on making sure we had a great single player offering. We have also ensured that the solo play mode has a minimal network requirement(about 10 kbps).

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:47 am

I wonder how many of the people who are complaining would play on a computer that doesn't have a constant, always-on connection to the internet?

What percentage of the people (who are online complaining about this) would not actually be able to play the game?

I reckon less than 1%.

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:59 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

The internet these days seems to be about outrage and little else.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:03 am
Spends far too much time on here

Fogmeister wrote:
I wonder how many of the people who are complaining would play on a computer that doesn't have a constant, always-on connection to the internet?

What percentage of the people (who are online complaining about this) would not actually be able to play the game?

I reckon less than 1%.

Unfortunately, I'm probably in that 1%. I'd certainly need to play a demo before splashing out for it given how utterly [LIFTED] the connection is here. At time we don't even get their advised requirement for bandwidth.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

Started playing - now I have my new Joystick - Thrustmaster HOTAS

So far so good although managed to get a bountry :( - not sure why which i have now paid off :) with most of my profits :(

Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:22 pm

jonbwfc wrote:
OK, hands up who else can name all those craft :D

1. de Havilland Tiger Moth
  2. Westland Lysander
  3. English Electric Canberra
  4. Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck
  5. Aérospatiale-BAC Concorde
  6. Hawker Siddeley Harrier
  7. Some Elite ship-thing

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:53 pm
What's a life?

hifidelity2 wrote:
Started playing - now I have my new Joystick - Thrustmaster HOTAS

Pretty much the same. Downloaded the game, ordered a flight sick the next day :D.

hifidelity2 wrote:
So far so good although managed to get a bountry :( - not sure why which i have now paid off :) with most of my profits :(

If you do something they don't like a station - like landing on the wrong pad or loitering in the 'letterbox' - they give you a fine. If you don't pay the fine inside 24 hours, the fine gets turned into a bounty that anyone else can collect on you. You can of course still pay the fine and that cancels it.

Spending lot of time just doing cargo shuttle runs until I can afford a bigger better ship. At that point not sure what I'm going to do, which is a good thing :).

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next