Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
ARMAII 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

pcernie wrote:
Linux_User wrote:
pcernie wrote:
http://www.zavvi.co.uk/zavvi/10044005.product

Cheapest I can find it :?

Damn it, I've lost out on a fiver! Ah well, hopefully I've helped keep someone employed, or something. ;)

Did you order it from Amazon? You can probably still cancel it if it hasn't shipped...

Just for future games purchases, give this site a go first:

http://www.gamestracker.com/search.asp

Or PM me, I often know of stuff on sale or where to get it a few £ cheaper as you know :lol:

Lord knows I tried, but it's already gone through to the warehouse for picking. :(

Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:15 pm
Spends far too much time on here

Right, just picked this up and I'm very, very interested. I love a bit of realism and I particularly love tactical thinking and gameplay. So, my question is how much do i have to spend to play this game?

I currently have:
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe nForce4!
Socket 939 X2 3800+ (ocd to 2.2ghz on air)
2 x 512mb matched pair
2ish tb of storage
66GT
480w Tagan 2Force PSU.
20" Samsung

Could I get away with another gig of ram and a graphics card? What about headsets etc? What about joysticks for the helos and tanks etc?
I really fancy this and would love to get wrapped up in it and play with you guys, but I need to know what I'm dealing with...

Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:09 am

I use a PC-161 headset on Skype for comms. You can use in game comms but I tend to play as a team with the people I know. I dont suppose it matters all that much what headset you use.

I know someone who is playing it on a 9500GT (I think, maybe its a 9600). I dont know at what settings though. Another chap has a 8800GTS(G80) and he sets everything on medium at 1680x1050. He's also got 2GB. He says its fine. To be honest even on very high the graphics arent impressive anyway.

I'd check the CPU specs. I'm at work so cant look on the box.

I would personally for a mild upgrade do 2GB RAM (costs next to nothing) and stick a gfx card in. 4850/GTS250 minimum - both under £100. This game really is about the gameplay rather than the eye-candy though so I wouldnt worry about it too much.

I dont think you can use joysticks for the flying.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:11 am
Profile WWW

Thanks veato. What's everybody else here playing on?

After some reading, I'm contemplating a whole new machine, as my current one is at capacity in the chassis and the PSU, whilst good, might struggle with a mid-high end graphics card and 4 HDDs. If I've gotta upgrade the chassis, then I may as well go C2D. Thoughts?

Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:35 am

C2D? You wanna go C2Q!

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:52 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Linux_User wrote:
C2D? You wanna go C2Q!

Seconded.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:50 am
Profile WWW

I'm of the opinion that (even though I have a C2Q) if a game is not optimised for quad core you can get better gaming performance from a fast C2D. As the back of the box for ARMAII mentions quad then I think that is the way to go.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:42 am
Profile WWW

Right, thanks guys. Still considering my options, as it's a lot of money to put on my credit card when I have none!

Last thing I remember, the Q6600 was CPC'c chip of choice. It's bloody old though from what I remember. To help me be lazy, where's it at right now? Also, what about i7? Still to expensive with the new socket on the way?

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:38 am

Considering Mr Mastercard or Mr Visa is going to be paying for this upgrade I wonder if its wise steering clear of the expensive i7?

Might be worth waiting for the i5 maybe although I have no idea what it will cost.

The 1066FSB Q6600 is still a nice chip/value for money. Good overclocker on a cheap cooler (Freezer7), cheap DDR2 1066, etc. I have lost touch a little with CPUs so its best to do research/ask others too.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:53 am
Profile WWW

veato wrote:
Considering Mr Mastercard or Mr Visa is going to be paying for this upgrade I wonder if its wise steering clear of the expensive i7?

Might be worth waiting for the i5 maybe although I have no idea what it will cost.

The 1066FSB Q6600 is still a nice chip/value for money. Good overclocker on a cheap cooler (Freezer7), cheap DDR2 1066, etc. I have lost touch a little with CPUs so its best to do research/ask others too.

Just been reading the Quad core thread in hardware. I get that the 6600 is the nads, I'm just reluctant to spend money on old tech. That said, it seems you can't buy the bloody thing any more anyway.

Taught a mate how to play Starcraft and UT99 yesterday, so might re-enjoy those for a bit and try and hold out on the new hardware. I really wanna play ArmaII though!! Grrr.....

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2