Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
Skyrim 
Spends far too much time on here

Since it's coming out tomorrow I thought we should probably have a thread on the subject.

Anyone else got it on preorder?

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

No. Loved Morrowind but think I'll get Oblivion now (well once I've completed Batman: Arkham City and have prestiged a couple of times in MW3) and then wait for the GOTY edition for Skyrim.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:39 pm
What's a life?

It arrives tomorrow. It's my "Christmas holiday game though', I'm currently playing Uncharted 3.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:23 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

It's £36.99 and I've got a voucher for £5 off it at Sainsbury's. I won't be getting it (yet) though as I've got far too many other games to be getting on with. The GOTY edition will probably be out by the time I get around to buying it!

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:52 pm
Profile WWW

It was less than £30 on amazon as a pre-order and that included first class delivery...

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:01 pm
Profile WWW

Well Oliver decided that 5:30am was when his nappy would need changing, so I thought to myself "why not?"

The Wench thought I was a bit weird mind.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:58 am
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

jonlumb wrote:
The Wench thought I was a bit weird mind.

Doesn't she anyway?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:52 am

I dropped a subtle hint to SWMBO about this, when the first advert came on the TV.
"that game would be a great xmas pressie for me"
sometimes it pays to be subtle :lol:

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:22 am

They've posted a review over on Bit-Tech clicky. 95% is not the usual score given over there.

Since the talk about this it looks like it may go on my 'Christmas List'. Are they all stand alone games or would I have to play any of the prior games before getting Skyrim?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:31 am

I saw a 20 min preview on YouTube last night and I have a question...

Is this just a single player game?

I have only ever really played games like BF2 or PoP or WoW so thats either platformers, FPS or MMORPG. It seems odd to have such a mahoosive world to run around in and to be the only person there.

Is there any way to play with other people within the game?

I tried to play Oblivion a while back but got bored running around on my own. Looks like an awesome game but I think I'd have to play with other people there.

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:32 am
Profile WWW

Yeah, all the Elder Scroll games have been single player, and from what the developers have said will remain that way. Personally I really like that; not even been tempted by mmorpgs at all, I like to do what I want, when I want. Given the temptation to get hugely distracted and sidetracked in Skyrim it's probably a good thing in a lot of ways.

Adidan, no you don't need to have played the previous games. Whilst it's the same world, it's territory further north than Oblivion was and it's set a couple of 100 years later. Whilst there are supposed to be references to previous games, these seem to be just passing comments or imagery, there's nothing important. Just something for the geeks to feel smug about when they notice them tbh ;)

Frmo what I've played so far (about 2 hours worth), the Bit-tech score seems pretty fair. I've read about 4 reviews now, haven't found a bad one yet.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:00 am
Profile WWW

jonlumb wrote:
Yeah, all the Elder Scroll games have been single player, and from what the developers have said will remain that way. Personally I really like that; not even been tempted by mmorpgs at all, I like to do what I want, when I want. Given the temptation to get hugely distracted and sidetracked in Skyrim it's probably a good thing in a lot of ways.

That's cool, I just thought maybe you'd be able to invite people to form a party and "host" a game in your world (or maybe have "shared" dungeons that you can explore together.

Not a full MMO but at least some form of multiplayer.

Even if it's just a way to show off your character and the kit that you have collected/crafted/etc... You could even work together to kill some super boss type thing?

I may give it a look although in the review they said it sometimes gets choppy on their i7-920 :gulp: my most powerful PC is a C2D ... running linux.

I may buy it for XBox though. I wonder how much of the graphics and prettiness I will miss?

JJW009 wrote:

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:05 am
Profile WWW

FWIW, I'm running it on an i5 2500 with a GTX550 Ti at 1280x1024 with graphics on ultra and it's coping ok.

For the most part your CPU should be fine, as it's pretty good at multi-core activity. Your GPU is most likely to be the limiting factor. The XBox version is apparently toned down quite a bit (bearing in mind that it's pretty old hardware; it was out when Oblivion came out).

Oh yeah, and if you get the XBox version you will miss out on the modding scene, which is a huge part of the Elder Scrolls series.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:18 am
Profile WWW

jonlumb wrote:
Adidan, no you don't need to have played the previous games. Whilst it's the same world, it's territory further north than Oblivion was and it's set a couple of 100 years later. Whilst there are supposed to be references to previous games, these seem to be just passing comments or imagery, there's nothing important. Just something for the geeks to feel smug about when they notice them tbh ;)

Cool, thanks Jon.

The only thing putting me off is Dragon killing. I like Dragons.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:23 am

jonlumb wrote:
FWIW, I'm running it on an i5 2500 with a GTX550 Ti at 1280x1024 with graphics on ultra and it's coping ok.

For the most part your CPU should be fine, as it's pretty good at multi-core activity. Your GPU is most likely to be the limiting factor. The XBox version is apparently toned down quite a bit (bearing in mind that it's pretty old hardware; it was out when Oblivion came out).

Oh yeah, and if you get the XBox version you will miss out on the modding scene, which is a huge part of the Elder Scrolls series.

IIRC the GPU is a GT860 or something or other.

The first of the DX11 cards (I think, something like that anyway).

JJW009 wrote:

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 251 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next