Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Now thinking about an XBox360 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Mainly because it's quite a bit cheaper than the PS3 but also because a number of people I know at work have one and play online.

I have heard of the red ring of death but I have also heard that as long as it has good ventilation then it isn't a problem.

Also, I haev seen this offer - CLICKY which loosk very good. I have played Burnout before and love it and Trivial Pursuit is always good for the family to play.

The only problem for me is geting it online although I could prob share my MBP's wirless connection if that is possible?

i.e. Router IP 192.168.1.1 (static)
Mac book wireless IP 192.168.1.blah (dynamic)

Macbook wired IP 192.168.10.1 (Static)
XBox 360 wired IP 192.168.10.2 (static)

Share the MBP wireless connection to act as an access point to the router.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I imagine it is fairly straight forward.

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

Fogmeister wrote:
I have heard of the red ring of death but I have also heard that as long as it has good ventilation then it isn't a problem.

Not quite. I used to live in a flat that had no central heating and would frequently drop into the low teens oC during the winter (we used to keep a duvet on the sofa to keep warm), yet it still Red Ringed on me. It was raised sat raised on the table, was never moved (you see, they have a disc scratching problem too - as seen on watchdog) and in a low ambient temperature. It would freeze frequently until it eventually packed in. It may be cheap, but it is still overpriced.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:22 pm
Profile WWW

The newer Xbox's dont suffer from the same issues the original ones had. I have original Xbox and it was repaired after a RROD. It happened again though a year later and this time i was promised it would not happen again. I took this mean they were basically going to replace mine with the latest motherboard version, etc. I've not had a single issue since either. My brother has had an Elite since it came out and that has never RROD on him.

As for networking I've had mine connected wired to a BT HomeHub (version 1 and 2) using DHCP alongside my PC and a laptop. It is now currently wireless using the official 360 wireless adapter (again DHCP) to the HomeHub 2 and I've not had any issues. I've have never tried it via another PC/laptop acting as an access point though.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:56 pm
Profile WWW

Wait, the 360 needs a wireless adapter? Just how many add-ons does an eggbox need to compete with my PS3?

Actually, that's a moot point since the eggbox doesn't offer Blu-Ray.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:41 pm

Linux_User wrote:
Wait, the 360 needs a wireless adapter? Just how many add-ons does an eggbox need to compete with my PS3?

Not many, besides even if I went out to buy a wireless adapter it would still be cheaper than the PS3. And to watch blu ray discs I'd have to spend £600 on a TV (or whatever) making the PS3 even more expensive.

:D

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:56 pm
Profile WWW

Linux_User wrote:

It's a £50 add-on too! I still have mine somewhere, I'm not going to pay another £50 to go wireless again in the unlikely event there may be a game I want to play on the 360. So far the best it has to offer is Hide & Seek of War 2.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:56 pm
Profile WWW

Linux_User wrote:

Xbox with 3-4 games AND a wireless adapter is still cheaper than a PS3 with 1 game though. Granted it doesnt play BD discs but if its a gaming machine you're after its way better value.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:01 pm
Profile WWW

veato wrote:
Linux_User wrote:

Xbox with 3-4 games AND a wireless adapter is still cheaper than a PS3 with 1 game though. Granted it doesnt play BD discs but if its a gaming machine you're after its way better value.

TBH, not only is my PS3 way more than a gaming machine (I use it for downloaded video, Blu-Ray and normal DVD etc) but some of the PS3-exclusive are excellent.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:23 pm

My Xbox is way more than a gaming machine (IPTV/Rentals, Live Marketplace, Full game downloads, Sky TV, Facebook and Twitter soon, online community features, etc, etc) and Xbox exclusives are excellent! ;) And Project Natal. Its tit for tat with the consoles thought isnt it. I have to admit I prefer the Xbox and the Live community and features are way better than Playstaion Network but when Gran Turismo comes out I'm going to be itching for the big black one!

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:31 pm
Profile WWW

veato wrote:
I'm going to be itching for the big black one!

And maybe even a PS3 :lol: :shock:

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:53 pm

My 360 was a constant annoyance. Used to freeze (deliberately I'm sure) after I'd finished a really difficult part of a game and god it was loud - there was no chance of a sneaky game 1st thing in the morning before the missus got up as it would wake here from the other side of the flat (it was a strange flat, it had an upstairs!). I know people always compare the cost difference between the PS3 and the 360, but this is one of those times where value really is subjective!

As far as facebook and twitter are concerned - the PS3 has a full browser and the PSN store also has full game downloads, but it is far less likely to break down, or deafen you.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:14 pm
Profile WWW

I know my 360 isn't as advanced as a PS3...

But it's cheaper, all my friends have one and it has games that I love such as Halo 3, Fable 2 and upcoming Forza 3, Prototype and FFXIII.

And it might not have all the games exclusive to it, but what console has every big game exclusive? Okay so PS3 has GT... Well we have Forza. At the end of the day it's down to personal preference, you're just unlucky if you're not directly hit by the targeted demographic.

Anyway as has been said the RROD isn't around anymore. However it's easy to fix - I bought a RROD'd xbox from ebay for £20 and replaced the "x-clamps" with real bolts which fixed it. Nice spare 360 I now have lying around >.<

You can share the wireless, however i've only ever tried it through a windows-based laptop. What sort of setup are you running? I don't really understand... Wireless router? Or non-wired router? And even then, why not run a cable? It's much better for online play.

Having said that I managed to pick up a wireless adaptor from ebay for a healthy £15, so it's possible to get it on the cheap, just got to keep an eye out for those deals.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:25 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, OS X will do it...I used to share my wireless connection with the PC (through a cable) when I was down the shed...It worked well too, well enough for me to play Counter Strike...

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:39 pm
Profile WWW

Linux_User wrote:
veato wrote:
I'm going to be itching for the big black one!

And maybe even a PS3 :lol: :shock:

Hahahaha. Oh dear. The mind of some people! :lol:

Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:17 am
Profile WWW

gavomatic57 wrote:
or deafen you.

If you've got the hard drive space you can copy the game over. Its way quieter when you're gaming. I admit the Xbox is a noisy beast (hate watching DVD's on it because of the racket) though.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next