Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Windows 7 Starter for Netbooks 
Legend

^ I knew about the DVD playback in the various versions of 'Doze, I just didn't know if it prevented sensible use of a drive :)

The whole thing makes no sense to me if M$ themselves are implying Starter is, well, a bit crap:

Quote:
"Windows 7 Starter should not be considered 'the netbook SKU' as most machines in this category can run any edition of Windows 7," Microsoft states.

I honestly don't see many manufacturers running with Starter, even with the dropping of the 3 app limit. I appreciate the margins are ridiculously slim on netbooks, but I've a feeling that'll just mean the cannier suppliers will use Premium as a selling point. I'd wonder just how many people do use their netbook as a portable media player for instance - I know I have.

All I see the different editions doing is causing confusion (and anger), again, something M$ doesn't exactly need right now...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sun May 31, 2009 1:16 pm
What's a life?

I think Microsoft are in a no win situation. Windows 7 Home Premium will work well enough on a netbook, as will Pro and Ultimate, but Home Premium will probably add 30-40% to the price of a netbook! Therefore the netbook makers want a cheaper alternative. Microsoft have given them what they want, but, apart from being cheap for the netbook makers, it doesn't make much sense for the consumer (in terms of features/functionality) and it doesn't make any sense to Microsoft. The only thing it can try and do is keep the netbook below the €300 mark... :?

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sun May 31, 2009 1:35 pm
Profile ICQ
Spends far too much time on here

MS & Asus have set up there own 'use windows' web site …
http://itsbetterwithwindows.com/

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Sun May 31, 2009 2:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2